Mark Spice

Default Cheap Compressors

Due to SWMBO buying a bloody huge infaltable paddling pool for the ankle
biters I have been considering getting a cheap compressor. As it would be
far better to deflate it after use rather leaving it up to kill the lawn.
My question really is how cheap am I likely to be able to get one? There
are a couple in the current Screwfix catalogue at about £100. Am I being
unrealistic in trying to find one cheaper than this?

Also is a compressor likely to up to inflating high volumes or should I
just get a nozzle for my SCUBA cylinder and use that ? I have used a similar
method to inflate lilos whereby you stick a rigid drinking staw upto the
cylider valve and crack open the valve. It's a bit noisy and expensive as
you lose the best part of a fill but it saved a lot of hassle when getting
into team hut late for a weekend's diving.

Cheers

Mark Spice

BigWallop

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/categories/Pumps_35.asp

BigWallop

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.seriousshopping.co.uk/Aut...ols/TirePumps/

BigWallop

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item687.htm

BigWallop

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

And finally:

http://tinyurl.com/i31h

Mark Spice

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

12v car tyre pump up things run from the cigar lighter socket will

probably
do the job
they even come with the correct adaptor for blowing up lilos etc.
only problem is getting 12v to the paddling pool

car battery
or
long extension wire
or
take the pool to the car
or
battery charger
or
12v adaptor to run cool boxes which only have a cigar lighter connection
[added this as I got one cheap is a sale - a Coleman adaptor - and have
found it useful for loads of things]

Almost any combination is going to be cheaper than £100.

If the paddling pool takes more air than can be supplied by an x cuft/min
compressor designed for spray guns and air tools then it is not a paddling
pool but a swimming pool -)

Seriously, only buy a small industrial compressor if you have another use.

Cheers
Dave R

I should have mentioned that I don't have a car so 12v stuff tends not to
work too well for me :-)

Other than that thanks for the advice. I knew really that a compressor was
excessive but you know how it is when you look through the catalogues trying
to justify potential purchases.

Cheers

Mark Spice

Grunff

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

12v car tyre pump up things run from the cigar lighter socket will probably
do the job
they even come with the correct adaptor for blowing up lilos etc.
only problem is getting 12v to the paddling pool

No, they won't in any way do the job. They have a very limited
duty cycle, and when you run them for more than 10 minutes at a
time, the motor has a tendency to unsolder itself from it's
wires, as well as melt all the insulation on the windings (yes,
done it twice).

--
Grunff

Grunff

Mark Spice wrote:
Due to SWMBO buying a bloody huge infaltable paddling pool for the ankle
biters I have been considering getting a cheap compressor. As it would be
far better to deflate it after use rather leaving it up to kill the lawn.
My question really is how cheap am I likely to be able to get one? There
are a couple in the current Screwfix catalogue at about £100. Am I being
unrealistic in trying to find one cheaper than this?

Also is a compressor likely to up to inflating high volumes or should I
just get a nozzle for my SCUBA cylinder and use that ? I have used a similar
method to inflate lilos whereby you stick a rigid drinking staw upto the
cylider valve and crack open the valve. It's a bit noisy and expensive as
you lose the best part of a fill but it saved a lot of hassle when getting
into team hut late for a weekend's diving.

The ~£100 compressor will inflate your pool just fine. It will
be noisy, and it'll take a while, but it'll do the job.

The manual compressors linked to by BW will take forever to
inflate a pool. The small 12v ones suggested will burn out long
before you've finished inflating it.

--
Grunff

Bob Eager

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:21:31 UTC, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

12v car tyre pump up things run from the cigar lighter socket will probably
do the job

These do pressure, not volume. They usually have a duty cycle of about
15 mins, with the pool taking about an hour.

Get an electric pool inflator from Argos....cheap and effective (about
5-10 mins). Mains powered though. Current price is 19.99, but that's the
catalogue that expired TODAY.....!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

John Rumm

Mark Spice wrote:

My question really is how cheap am I likely to be able to get one? There
are a couple in the current Screwfix catalogue at about ?100. Am I being
unrealistic in trying to find one cheaper than this?

The Intertex Pool inflaters are 15 quid in Makro at the moment. Unlike a
compressor these are designed for high volume at a resonably low presure.

--
Cheers,

John.

geoff

In message , Mark Spice
writes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I should have mentioned that I don't have a car so 12v stuff tends not to
work too well for me :-)

Other than that thanks for the advice. I knew really that a compressor was
excessive but you know how it is when you look through the catalogues trying
to justify potential purchases.

Well a 12 volt psu or a car battery are certainly cheaper than a
compressor
--
geoff
Ophelia

"Mark Spice" wrote in message I should have
mentioned that I don't have a car so 12v stuff tends not to
work too well for me :-)

Other than that thanks for the advice. I knew really that a compressor

was
excessive but you know how it is when you look through the catalogues

trying
to justify potential purchases.

LOL you are just after a new toy! Come on.. admit it)

Ophelia

Ophelia

If the paddling pool takes more air than can be supplied by an x cuft/min
compressor designed for spray guns and air tools then it is not a paddling
pool but a swimming pool -)

Seriously, only buy a small industrial compressor if you have another use.

Mine was £14 and does the job admirably

Ophelia

geoff

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Mark Spice" wrote in message I should have
mentioned that I don't have a car so 12v stuff tends not to
work too well for me :-)

Other than that thanks for the advice. I knew really that a compressor

was
excessive but you know how it is when you look through the catalogues

trying
to justify potential purchases.

LOL you are just after a new toy! Come on.. admit it)

SSShh, his SOH might be watching over his shoulder
--
geoff