Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
N. Thornton

Default ODPM admits Part P consulation flawed

Fwom:Owain )
"N. Thornton" wrote

| I thought you said it was the customers responsiobility to go get
| paperwork, not the tricians, in which case there would be nothing
| illegal about an electrician doing a job and leaving it upto the
| customer to do the paperwork. Am I wrong?

Not wrong; obtaining building control approval comes down to the
householder. BUT if that is approval is not pre-arranged then the

illegality
would be committed by the electrician at the time of doing the work.

Ahhh, NT finally gets it, ty.

(This
also means that only registered contractors could offer an

'emergency'
service.) Illegal work can be regularised afterwards, of course, but

that
might involve opening up finished works.

| To a fair extent one can get past that with legal phrasing on the
| quote paperwork, something along the lines of in some cases
| you might need to register it or have it inspected by the LA.

"Quote paperwork"...? For the jobbing electrician whose paperwork is

duplicate book written on the job, making out a 'quote' for changing

socket in a kitchen will add 5 minutes to the job. Eight jobs a day,

that's
an extra 40 minutes' work for no remuneration.

Yup, as is ever the way with paperwork, but its required more and more
now. If its a way to operate legally post-part-p then it would be
worth it, but I gather its not.

So does this mean all the domestic sparks that dont partake in the
part p schemes now are working illegally? I suspect if govt starts
prosecuting there would soon be a pretty big backlash.

NT