Ian

Default Washer/dryer Recommendation

Sorry this is slightly off-topic and also that it is something that
has been discussed here before. However, I'm particularly interested
in experiences of up-to-date models.

First of all, separate washer and dryer is not an option. We currently
have separate components but it is a losing battle to make it work in
the space available. I know it is a compromise but it is one I am
prepared to make for the benefits. I am, however, prepared to spend
enough for a decent make. From what I can gather that means a price
in the 500-600 range and probably Bosch or AEG (maybe Zanussi?). If I
had twice that to spend I'd probably be looking at Miele, but as I
don't, I'm not!

So is there much to choose between Bosch and AEG? I'm tending towards
AEG as their 1600 rpm model (16820) is available fairly widely - I'm
guessing a faster spin is useful to avoid overuse of the dryer
component. Bosch do have a 1600 model (WVT3250) but it is less widely
available. It is also a bit more expensive - this could be an
indication of better quality or it may just be a function of less
price competition.

I'd welcome any comments on Bosch vs AEG, or any other make I should
consider for that matter. My main criteria are reliability and washing
performance.

Thanks!

--
Ian
Grunff

Ian wrote:
[...]

While I'm a big fan of Bosch tools, I haven't been impressed with their
white goods. Our last washing machine was a Bosch, and it required 3
repairs in its short 7 year career, costing £240 in parts alone (I did
all the work myself). Parts were both difficult to obtain and expensive.

My only experience with AEG is our current dishwasher, which is superb.
But it's only a few months old, so who knows.

As for Miele, we have a Miele tumble drier, and it's very, very well made.

--
Grunff
Andy Burns

Ian wrote:

I'm guessing a faster spin is useful to avoid overuse of the dryer
component.

Don't know about Bosch/AEG but my Hotpoint W/D only uses it's maximum
spin speed on certain washes (Num 2 = towels?) and when it does, the
contents get so much centri[pet|fug]al force applied that they stick to
the drum and stay there all the way through the drying cycle :-(
Christian McArdle

Don't know about Bosch/AEG but my Hotpoint W/D only uses it's maximum
spin speed on certain washes (Num 2 = towels?) and when it does, the
contents get so much centri[pet|fug]al force applied that they stick to
the drum and stay there all the way through the drying cycle :-(

Mine does it on any cotton wash, but not on synthetic. Why they have to have
these complicated controls, I don't know. I just want to set temperature,
spin speed and agitation and let it off but no manufacturer seems to
understand this.

Christian.

Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote
| Mine does it on any cotton wash, but not on synthetic. Why they have
| to have these complicated controls, I don't know. I just want to set
| temperature, spin speed and agitation and let it off but no
| manufacturer seems to understand this.

Yes; if anything of mine can't be washed on Hot Whites or Warm Coloureds it
doesn't survive. Survival of the fittest items in the laundry basket.

Owain

Christian McArdle

Yes; if anything of mine can't be washed on Hot Whites or Warm Coloureds
it
doesn't survive. Survival of the fittest items in the laundry basket.

Yes, actually I lied. I don't want to set spin speed. I just want maximum,
whatever it is. Synthetics are almost wearable after a 1600 spin (not that I
have many, never being a fan of shell suits) and the tumbler only takes 30
minutes on cottons.

Christian.

JP

"Ian" wrote in message
m...
snip.

I'd welcome any comments on Bosch vs AEG, or any other make I should
consider for that matter. My main criteria are reliability and washing
performance.

Check out the A-E ratings for washing and spin dry efficiency of the
machines you are intereseted in.
You do know that for washer/dryers, the dryer will only work with half the
washing load. So if you've got a full load you've still got to take half out
of the machine! Therefore one wash can take 3-4 hours!

Unfortunately washer dryers are notoriously unreliable.

Andy Burns

JP wrote:

Unfortunately washer dryers are notoriously unreliable.

So everyone else says ...

I've only had two in 18+ years, done a couple of running repairs on
current one, blower motor bearings sound like they might need attention
next.

Peter

First of all, separate washer and dryer is not an option. We currently
have separate components but it is a losing battle to make it work in
the space available. I know it is a compromise but it is one I am
prepared to make for the benefits. I am, however, prepared to spend
enough for a decent make. From what I can gather that means a price
in the 500-600 range and probably Bosch or AEG (maybe Zanussi?). If I
had twice that to spend I'd probably be looking at Miele, but as I
don't, I'm not!

AEG is part of same group as Zanussi a nd AEG washer dryers are made by
Zanussi so buy a Zanussi it will be cheaper.

Peter

Grunff

Peter wrote:

AEG is part of same group as Zanussi

True so far.

and AEG washer dryers are made by
Zanussi so buy a Zanussi it will be cheaper.

I'm really not sure about this. Our AEG dishwasher says "made in
Germany", but our Zanussi washing machine (which is very good, btw) says
"made in Italy". So at least different factories.

--
Grunff

Peter

"Grunff" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

AEG is part of same group as Zanussi

True so far.

and AEG washer dryers are made by
Zanussi so buy a Zanussi it will be cheaper.

I'm really not sure about this. Our AEG dishwasher says "made in
Germany", but our Zanussi washing machine (which is very good, btw) says
"made in Italy". So at least different factories.

I did say "AEG washer dryers are made by Zanussi" never mentioned
Dishwashers !!!!!!!!!!!

Peter

compact washer/dryer maxkalehoff Home Ownership 0 December 15th 04 04:01 PM
Bringing dead washer/dryer back to life David McNeish UK diy 2 September 22nd 04 04:56 PM
Washer/Dryer doesn't dry Moi UK diy 11 January 19th 04 10:00 AM
RECOMMENDATION: decorator/tiler in Edinburgh Reestit Mutton UK diy 1 October 28th 03 01:34 AM