Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

maxkalehoff

Default compact washer/dryer

Beware of Thor Appliances - Washer/Dryers!!!

I bought a Thor washer/dryer combo. I was a fan the first six months,
and recommended it to everyone I knew -- I mean everyone. I live in New
York City, where most people don't have personal washer/dryers because
of a lack of space and proper plumbing/venting. So the arrival of this
machine was BIG!! It was small, but it worked. I was Thor's biggest
enthusiast. I loved it, but the good times didn't last!!!

I had to have the repairman fix the Thor machine twice within the first
year. Sure, it was covered under the one-year warranty, but that
didn't stop it breaking down twice a year in the following two years. I
paid on average $150 per visit from the repairman. The repairman felt
so sorry for me that he even fixed it twice for free at his own
expense, not Thor's. This was Thor's very own "certified
technician"...the only one in the New York region. He now has nothing
to do with them, and perhaps never will again.

The pain didn't stop there. I repeatedly called John Lee at the
company's headquarters, and he was unresponsive to say the least, and
basically said it's my problem that the machine is breaking repeatedly
-- "sorry, the one-year warranty is up, I can't do anything. you're on
you're own now." I predict that this company will go out of business.
They don't care about customers at all.

Current status? I still have the lemon in my apartment, and it stopped
drying properly since the repairman's last visit three months ago.
Moreover, it sounds like the bearings on the drum went bad, because it
makes a loud grinding sound. It also rattles like crazy during the spin
cycle, and prompted my next door neighbor to complain to me and my
building management. Forget about running it while trying to talk on
the phone or sleep -- it's so loud, because it's falling apart! I'm
making arrangements to have it picked up and delivered to the dumpster,
even though I haven't had it a little more than three years. It sucks,
but I can't continue to throw good money after bad. I can't deal with
the frustration! I just wish I could get my money back -- roughly
$1,100. For that amount over the past four years, I could've paid a
cleaning service to pick up, wash, dry, fold and deliver my laundry to
my door!

Anyone who considers a Thor, please contact me at
. I would like to share my experience in more
detail, and reduce the number of victims of this company. For the
record, I'm not out to get Thor -- the executives will have to live
themselves and their reputation, and that will be hard enough. However,
I do care about others that they try to rip off.

Good luck with your washer/dryer search. If you know of any single-unit
washer/dryers that do work, please let me know.

Haitham M wrote:
Hi,
I want to buy a washer/dryer combo unit, price is not an issue, the

most
important is the size, noise and vibrations levels. I searched online

and found brands like Thor/QiuetLine, LG, Equator ...etc, sizes

differ a
bit, but I haven't read much about the spinning vibrations and the

noise
level. I don't have much experience with that and I would really
appreciate any help. I am moving to a new apartment and I do not want

**** my landlord off.