raden

In message , Kat
writes

After starting the recent thread about small vans that can carry 8x4
sheets, thanks to the many helpful suggestions and insights, I
conclude that what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback
that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

Why a hatchback?
(a) more streamlined for long trips and driving at speed.
(b) lighter, so more economical
(c) I get the impression that some hatchbacks can actually take
larger objects than estate cars (if you drive them with the hatch
open.)
(d) better handling because less top-heavy (arguably)

So I'm looking for a hatchback (around 10 years old) for £1500 or so,
that is:

(a) reliable
(b) cheap to run
(c) cheap to repair
(d) easy to get spares for
(e) good acceleration (4x4 would be great, espec. for wet roads)
(f) handles really well on bends and in crosswinds
(g) takes large objects
(h) won't give me me a bad back! (seats with good small-of-back
support)

Any suggestions?

As for my very occasional need to move house, and take furniture to
the tip, I reckon it makes more sense to hire a Transit for one day,
as needed. I just can't seem to stomach the thought of using a transit
for everyday driving. My budget doesn't stretch to having a car *and*
a large van.

I've got a BMW520i I want to get rid of

Half a days work with an angle grinder and a sander - you could have
just what you want
--
geoff
Googolplex

Kat wrote:
[...]

Well I managed to get a full-sized acrylic bath, myself, SWMBO *and*
some bags of shopping in a standard Ford Escort hatch..... and that was
with all doors and the boot closed (back seats were down of course).
Googolplex

Rick Dipper wrote:

Have you considered a trailer, mine takes 8x4 sheets, my 307 can tow
it (legally), without any great greif up a 1:8 with a tonne bag of
aggrigate in it.

The 307 tows better at it maximum load than my 4x4 Izusu did at 1/2
its max, and the Izusu with 2/3 of max was a real pig, requieing low
ratio to get a 1.5 tonne mini digger up a 1:8. The 307 will tow a
micro digger in my trailer - no problems

Shame the 307 is so damn unreliable. Nice car with an unfeasibly large
number of stupid quirks and faults. Second from bottom on top gear
survey for customer satisfaction. Near bottom on What Car survey for
customer satisfaction.

The niggles in our 307 are what's putting me off getting a 407.
Jason Arthurs

You should try the ZX 1.9 Auto Diesel.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:19:25 -0000, "Leveled" wrote:

Try a Citroen ZX 1.9 diesel. Our 10year old one is fine.though needs plenty
of pressure on the accelerator
"Googolplex" wrote in message
Rick Dipper wrote:

Have you considered a trailer, mine takes 8x4 sheets, my 307 can tow
it (legally), without any great greif up a 1:8 with a tonne bag of
aggrigate in it.

The 307 tows better at it maximum load than my 4x4 Izusu did at 1/2
its max, and the Izusu with 2/3 of max was a real pig, requieing low
ratio to get a 1.5 tonne mini digger up a 1:8. The 307 will tow a
micro digger in my trailer - no problems

Shame the 307 is so damn unreliable. Nice car with an unfeasibly large
number of stupid quirks and faults. Second from bottom on top gear survey
for customer satisfaction. Near bottom on What Car survey for customer
satisfaction.

The niggles in our 307 are what's putting me off getting a 407.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.