Kat

Default Nippy reliable hatchback that takes bigger objects than an estate car?

After starting the recent thread about small vans that can carry 8x4
sheets, thanks to the many helpful suggestions and insights, I
conclude that what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback
that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

Why a hatchback?
(a) more streamlined for long trips and driving at speed.
(b) lighter, so more economical
(c) I get the impression that some hatchbacks can actually take
larger objects than estate cars (if you drive them with the hatch
open.)
(d) better handling because less top-heavy (arguably)

So I'm looking for a hatchback (around 10 years old) for £1500 or so,
that is:

(a) reliable
(b) cheap to run
(c) cheap to repair
(d) easy to get spares for
(e) good acceleration (4x4 would be great, espec. for wet roads)
(f) handles really well on bends and in crosswinds
(g) takes large objects
(h) won't give me me a bad back! (seats with good small-of-back
support)

Any suggestions?

As for my very occasional need to move house, and take furniture to
the tip, I reckon it makes more sense to hire a Transit for one day,
as needed. I just can't seem to stomach the thought of using a transit
for everyday driving. My budget doesn't stretch to having a car *and*
a large van.

Many thanks