Suz

After starting the recent thread about small vans that can carry 8x4
sheets, thanks to the many helpful suggestions and insights, I
conclude that what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback
that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

Our old car was a Scenic and the amount of crap that you can fit in it is
amazing. The rear seats fold and/or remove and it has the capacity of a
van. There is no lip at the boot so lifting in and out is easy. More
height than an estate. Should be able to get a '97 for around £1,500 -
£1,700. There are truly loved by owners. 1.6l and only group 6 insurance
too.

We loved ours so much we replaced it with a Grande Scenic - would not
recommend it, btw.

Suzanne