Junior Member

Unhappy Help, I think I've messed up my central heating

2 weeks ago I put some cleaning stuff in my radiators. Today I drained and refilled the system and now 2 of my rads don't work. I have a Potterton Combi 80 boiler running 5 rads.

Also just another thing - I know that the rules are changing so that all new boilers fitted from next year will have to be condensing, but I have also heard that the manufacturers will be putting up the prices of spare parts for the old ' normal' boilers. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help

Georgie
Lobster

Georgiegirl wrote:
2 weeks ago I put some cleaning stuff in my radiators. Today I drained
and refilled the system and now 2 of my rads don't work. I have a
Potterton Combi 80 boiler running 5 rads.

Are they close to each other (adjacent in the piping?) Sounds like it
could be an airlock to me?

David
Grunff

Georgiegirl wrote:
2 weeks ago I put some cleaning stuff in my radiators. Today I drained
and refilled the system and now 2 of my rads don't work. I have a
Potterton Combi 80 boiler running 5 rads.

Most likely you have an airlock. You can usually (but not always) clear
it by shutting off all rads but one (of the two cold ones), thereby
forcing water throught that one. Then repeat for the other cold rad.

Also just another thing - I know that the rules are changing so that
all new boilers fitted from next year will have to be condensing, but I
have also heard that the manufacturers will be putting up the prices of
spare parts for the old ' normal' boilers. Is this true?

Dunno. Do you buy a lot of boiler spares?

--
Grunff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:16:25 UTC, Grunff wrote:

Georgiegirl wrote:
2 weeks ago I put some cleaning stuff in my radiators. Today I drained
and refilled the system and now 2 of my rads don't work. I have a
Potterton Combi 80 boiler running 5 rads.

Most likely you have an airlock. You can usually (but not always) clear
it by shutting off all rads but one (of the two cold ones), thereby
forcing water throught that one. Then repeat for the other cold rad.

And temporarily (if it's obvious how) turning up the pump speed. But
reset it afterwards!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Junior Member

Many thanks to everyone. I did have an airlock and I have got rid of it now.

I was only asking about the prices of spare parts because my Potterton Combi 80 is now 5 years old - doesn't seem very reliable and I have been told that I will need a new pump soon. I was told that the price of these pumps would be increasing after April so I should either get one before then or..
the guy also said that the price of condensing boilers would be going up in April and so I should maybe think about replacing the boiler now while the prices are lower.

Any thoughts???

Georgie

John Rumm

Georgiegirl wrote:

I was only asking about the prices of spare parts because my Potterton
Combi 80 is now 5 years old - doesn't seem very reliable and I have
been told that I will need a new pump soon. I was told that the price
of these pumps would be increasing after April so I should either get
one before then or..
the guy also said that the price of condensing boilers would be going
up in April and so I should maybe think about replacing the boiler now
while the prices are lower.

Any thoughts???

Sounds like pressure sales tactics.... supprised he did not offer to
phone his boss to see if he could negotiate you a special discount ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

Georgiegirl wrote:

I was only asking about the prices of spare parts because my Potterton
Combi 80 is now 5 years old - doesn't seem very reliable and I have
been told that I will need a new pump soon. I was told that the price
of these pumps would be increasing after April so I should either get
one before then or..
the guy also said that the price of condensing boilers would be going
up in April and so I should maybe think about replacing the boiler now
while the prices are lower.

Any thoughts???

Did he offer you a free extended warranty if, and only if, you sign up
today?

According to him, all prices are about to take a big jump in April - why
is that?

--
Grunff
John

"Grunff" wrote in message
Georgiegirl wrote:

I was only asking about the prices of spare parts because my Potterton
Combi 80 is now 5 years old - doesn't seem very reliable and I have
been told that I will need a new pump soon. I was told that the price
of these pumps would be increasing after April so I should either get
one before then or..
the guy also said that the price of condensing boilers would be going
up in April and so I should maybe think about replacing the boiler now
while the prices are lower.

Any thoughts???

Did he offer you a free extended warranty if, and only if, you sign up
today?

According to him, all prices are about to take a big jump in April - why
is that?

I'd say if there is a jump it will be short lived as all the boiler
manufacturers will be shifting up a gear in condensing production volumes
and be competing like mad for a share of this new market volume.
Now just before the end of March the market will be awash with non
condensing boilers as manufacturers and stockist rush to unload stocks. It
will probably be worth buying a couple simply for spares