Default Earthing cooker hood

I have just fitted a new cooker hood as part of my kitchen rebuild. The
motor inside the hood is double insulated and therefore the cable is 2
core only. Having followed the various discussions on earth bonding in
this group I am trying to assess whether it is sensible to connect the
metal outer of the hood to the earth from the fused spur.

As I see it although only a remote possibility, potentially a fault
could occur at the crimped joint I will be making between the
applicance cable and the cable from the fused spur. This joint will be
concealed in the chimney piece of the hood.

The spur is fed off my new rcd protected ring main.

If interested here is a picture. The morale in the house is improving
as SWMBO can finally see the kitchen taking shape (albeit after 4
months of having to cook in a building site.

http://www.kapture-it.co.uk/show_alb...lbum_id=009789
What does the group think?

Tim

Lobster

"Grunff" wrote in message
[...]

My double-insulated hood's instructions explicitly stated that it should
not be earthed.

I think mine did too; but if an installer is putting his own joint in the
cable effectively within the metal casing of the appliance, could that not
over-ride the mfr's instructions?

But isn't the best solution to wire the appliance direct to the FCU, by
replacing (rather than extending) its flex assuming that isn't presently
long enough?

By the way - to the OP - when I asked a question here recently about ducting
for my own hood, I got my wrist slapped for having used 100mm stuff, as I
think you have (from the photo). 125mm is de rigeur for the application, I
gather!

David

cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM
Cooker Hood and Gas Hob (mains) supply Richard Savage UK diy 11 May 12th 04 09:22 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:10 AM