Sloper

Default Paint for plywood sheeting

I've panelled the interior of my large new shed with plywood sheet
(6mm). What would be the best type of paint for it? Would emulsion be
unsuitable?
Thanks.
Richard Walker

Sloper wrote:
I've panelled the interior of my large new shed with plywood sheet
(6mm). What would be the best type of paint for it? Would emulsion be
unsuitable?
Thanks.

My large old shed with plywood interior has been very happy with its
coating of emulsion paint for some 12 years now. As long as the large
new shed is waterproof, then emulsion is OK
--
Richard
Christian McArdle

I've panelled the interior of my large new shed with plywood sheet
(6mm). What would be the best type of paint for it? Would emulsion be
unsuitable?

Yes it would suitable. However, an acrylic would be even better than a vinyl
emulsion, at slightly higher cost. Acrylic would normally be sold as "quick
drying eggshell" or "quick drying satin".

Christian.

Sloper

Christian McArdle wrote:
I've panelled the interior of my large new shed with plywood sheet
(6mm). What would be the best type of paint for it? Would emulsion be
unsuitable?

Yes it would suitable. However, an acrylic would be even better than a vinyl
emulsion, at slightly higher cost. Acrylic would normally be sold as "quick
drying eggshell" or "quick drying satin".

Ah.. thanks. I'll check these out.

Just wondering...are these oil/spirit based paints? Acrylic is water
based isn't it?.. or at least you can clean brushes in water. I was
hoping to do it on the cheap, with emulsion being cheapest. I wouldn't
mind paying a bit extra, but I won't bother with oil-based gloss that I
believe is usually used on wood.
Sloper

Richard Walker wrote:

My large old shed with plywood interior has been very happy with its
coating of emulsion paint for some 12 years now. As long as the large
new shed is waterproof, then emulsion is OK

Cheers Richard.

Christian McArdle

Just wondering...are these oil/spirit based paints? Acrylic is water
based isn't it?..

Yes, it is normally water based. Although technically it is possible to have
solvent based acrylic formulations, these would not be described as "quick
drying". Most solvent based paint will be alkyd, or alkyd/acrylic copolymer.
They will also work, but will be more expensive and stink.

Personally for the job in hand, I'd choose

Dulux Trade Mouldshield Fungicidal Quick Drying Eggshell.

This is a water based acrylic formulation with additional fungicide that
might be particularly useful in a shed environment.

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...sheets/409.pdf

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24C35969

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

Just wondering...are these oil/spirit based paints? Acrylic is water
based isn't it?..

Yes, it is normally water based. Although technically it is possible to have
solvent based acrylic formulations, these would not be described as "quick
drying". Most solvent based paint will be alkyd, or alkyd/acrylic copolymer.
They will also work, but will be more expensive and stink.

Personally for the job in hand, I'd choose

Dulux Trade Mouldshield Fungicidal Quick Drying Eggshell.

This is a water based acrylic formulation with additional fungicide that
might be particularly useful in a shed environment.

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...sheets/409.pdf

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24C35969

Christian.

I've ended up using acrylic primer, sanding, and then emulsion over the top.

On MDF anyway.

Seems to be as good as emulsioned plaster.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM