Charles Middleton

Default Can anyone explain this...

Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

Thanks in advance,

CM.

Charles Middleton wrote:
Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

A 'push to make' switch is the type used for a door-bell or similar.
When you push it the switch contacts close, when you release the
contacts open again.

A 'momentary-action' switch is probably different things to different
people. It *could* (to some people) be the same as a 'push to make'
switch. I.e. it's 'momentary' for the length of time you press the
button. Alternatively (and I think this is what I'd go for) when you
press the button the switch closes momentarily and then opens again
even if you keep the button depressed. You then have to release the
button and press it again to get another momentary closure.

Note that I have used the terms 'contacts close' and 'close/open' above
on the basis that the switch has 'normally open' contacts and switches
a circuit on when you actuate it. It's perfectly possible for things
to be the other way about (i.e. you press to open a contact) or even
for the switch to have multiple sets of contacts which do lots of
different things for the period of actuation.

--
Chris Green
Al Reynolds

"Charles Middleton" wrote:
Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

I *thought* they were the same thing.

The switch is off. You push it, and it's on, but when
you release it it goes off. Perhaps momentary action
means it only stays on momentarily even if the switch
is still being pushed (like the power switch on some PCs).

Al

Peter Stockdale

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

Thanks in advance,

CM.

Bell -push , Door bell style, perhaps.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Charles Middleton

Peter Stockdale wrote:

Bell -push , Door bell style, perhaps.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Thanks all for the answers it makes total sense now.
Im looking at working with a dimmable electronic ballast for my latest
project. The on/off and dimming function is control via a push to make
switch which seems like a simple way to set it up. Unfortunately the
switch needs to be located in a prominent position and it looks
unlikely I can get one to match the required decore and existing
switches (brushed chrome look).
Cheers,
CM.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Charles Middleton wrote:
Im looking at working with a dimmable electronic ballast for my latest
project. The on/off and dimming function is control via a push to make
switch which seems like a simple way to set it up. Unfortunately the
switch needs to be located in a prominent position and it looks
unlikely I can get one to match the required decore and existing
switches (brushed chrome look).

What make switches are you using? Most makers will supply a blank plate,
and you could mount a 'special' switch on that. There are many different
styles of push button switches - I'm sure one would look ok.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
BigWallop

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

Thanks in advance,

CM.

This should answer your question:

http://www.commercialcontrols.eaton....f/stmanual.pdf

A "Push to make" switch is only in the "On" position when it's pushed in and
held in. Commonly used as door bell buttons and the like.

A "Momentary Action" switch is when the switch will latch (lock) in the "On"
position for a second or two by itself before releasing to the "Off"
position again, or vice versa. Commonly used where a need for a long signal
to start a series of relay contacts need to be established, or as a short
timer for pass through lighting systems.

Andrew Gabriel

In article . com,
"Charles Middleton" writes:

Peter Stockdale wrote:

Bell -push , Door bell style, perhaps.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Thanks all for the answers it makes total sense now.
Im looking at working with a dimmable electronic ballast for my latest
project. The on/off and dimming function is control via a push to make
switch which seems like a simple way to set it up. Unfortunately the
switch needs to be located in a prominent position and it looks
unlikely I can get one to match the required decore and existing
switches (brushed chrome look).

You can make one up using MK gridswitch or other manufacturer's
equivalents, where you can get momentary action (also called
retractive) switches. I have also been known the take a spring
out of a retractive switch and put it into some other type of
switch which uses the same moldings, but where a momentary
action version was required but not available. I actually have
a regular 2 gang MK switch where one of the switches is
momentary action, created this way. (Not sure you can do this
any more, as I think MK stopped using the same moldings in
their regular Logic Plus as in their Gridswitch range.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Set Square

Al Reynolds wrote:

"Charles Middleton" wrote:
Hi, can somebody explain to me in very simple terms the following:
- Push to make switch.
- Momentary-action

I *thought* they were the same thing.

The switch is off. You push it, and it's on, but when
you release it it goes off. Perhaps momentary action
means it only stays on momentarily even if the switch
is still being pushed (like the power switch on some PCs).

Al

I think I've also come across the use of the term 'momentary action' to
refer to a press and release switch used in conjucntion with a latching
relay. So, when once on, the load stays on until some other event causes it
to switch off. You get this sort of thing on some cars for things like
heated back windows. You push a button and the heater comes on and stays
on - but when you turn off the ignition, it goes off and doesn't come back
on again without a further button push.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Charles Middleton

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Charles Middleton wrote:
Im looking at working with a dimmable electronic ballast for my

latest
project. The on/off and dimming function is control via a push to

make
switch which seems like a simple way to set it up. Unfortunately

the
switch needs to be located in a prominent position and it looks
unlikely I can get one to match the required decore and existing
switches (brushed chrome look).

What make switches are you using? Most makers will supply a blank

plate,
and you could mount a 'special' switch on that. There are many

different
styles of push button switches - I'm sure one would look ok.

I believe that they are MK. In fact I have a spare silver MK single
switch. I believe MK sell pust to make switches. It must be possible to
mount one in the switch that I have.

CM.

Lurch

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:33:27 -0000, "Al Reynolds"
strung together this:

I *thought* they were the same thing.

Nope, PTM is just that, push and it makes contact.
Momentary is momentary, usually for as long as you're pushing the
switch, in either the open or closed position.

Perhaps momentary action
means it only stays on momentarily even if the switch
is still being pushed (like the power switch on some PCs).

If you keep the power button pushed on on the PC it's the mobo that
ignores the signal after a couple of seconds rather than the switch
becoming open circuit.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:01:02 -0000, "Set Square"
strung together this:

I think I've also come across the use of the term 'momentary action' to
refer to a press and release switch used in conjucntion with a latching
relay. So, when once on, the load stays on until some other event causes it
to switch off. You get this sort of thing on some cars for things like
heated back windows. You push a button and the heater comes on and stays
on - but when you turn off the ignition, it goes off and doesn't come back
on again without a further button push.

Look up 'direct on line starter', or 'DOL starter'. That's how they
work.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Tom

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:33:27 -0000, "Al Reynolds"
strung together this:

I *thought* they were the same thing.

Nope, PTM is just that, push and it makes contact.
Momentary is momentary, usually for as long as you're pushing the
switch, in either the open or closed position.

Perhaps momentary action
means it only stays on momentarily even if the switch
is still being pushed (like the power switch on some PCs).

If you keep the power button pushed on on the PC it's the mobo that
ignores the signal after a couple of seconds rather than the switch
becoming open circuit.

Used to be classified as Case1. "Push to Make" "Release to break" (PTMRTB)
and Case 2. "Push to Make" "Push to Break"
(PTMPTB).
Cheers
Tom

Lurch

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:08:05 -0000, "Tom"
strung together this:

Used to be classified as Case1. "Push to Make" "Release to break" (PTMRTB)
and Case 2. "Push to Make" "Push to Break"
(PTMPTB).

Or more simply, latching.
--

SJW
Charles Middleton

Thanks all for the information.
Following on from this, can anyone explain what an "Intermediate"
switch is?
Thanks in advance,
CM.

BigWallop

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks all for the information.
Following on from this, can anyone explain what an "Intermediate"
switch is?
Thanks in advance,
CM.

An "Intermediate" switch swaps, or switches between, the two interconnection
conductors through a two way switching circuit, so turning it into a three
way switching system.

Colin Wilson

Thanks all for the information.
Following on from this, can anyone explain what an "Intermediate"
switch is?

It crosses over the cores like this, and is used to add a third (or more)
switches to a two way circuit...

---o o---
\ .
.\
---o \o---

The \'s will be connected with the switch in one position, the .'s with
the switch in the other

Forgive the crap ascii :-}

Lurch

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:17:03 GMT, "BigWallop"
strung together this:

so turning it into a three way switching system.

Or as many as you want.
--

SJW
Peter Stockdale

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks all for the information.
Following on from this, can anyone explain what an "Intermediate"
switch is?
Thanks in advance,
CM.

Always willing to have a bash!!
A switch that is in line with another switch to the appliance that will
on/off the appliance as well.
eg: - A desk lamp normally operated off/on by switch on lamp itself,
plugged in to a switched socket. The switch on the latter is acting as an
"intermediate" switch.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:17:03 GMT, "BigWallop"
strung together this:

so turning it into a three way switching system.

Or as many as you want.

Don't confuse it any further. :-))

Lurch

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:04:11 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Stockdale"
strung together this:

Always willing to have a bash!!

Hmmm, that's the problem with usenet.

A switch that is in line with another switch to the appliance that will
on/off the appliance as well.
eg: - A desk lamp normally operated off/on by switch on lamp itself,
plugged in to a switched socket. The switch on the latter is acting as an
"intermediate" switch.

Erm, no. 0/10 ;-)
--

SJW