Paul S

Default Washing Machine Limescale Trouble

I've spent most of today dismantling our (fairly old) Phillips Washing
Machine in order to get at the drum bearings that have totally collapsed.
Upon doing so, however, it has become apparent that the whole machine is
completely caked in limescale. The worst component was the heating element,
which came out as one big blob of crud!! I can't believe that this has been
heating the water for a long time.
My question is, would it be worth my while completely cleaning and descaling
every part of the machine (it is already in bits and accessible), or would I
be just wasting my time?
I have already paid £40 for a new set of bearings which will now be no
problem to fit.

Thanks
Paul

EricP

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:23:30 +0000 (UTC), "Paul S"
wrote:

I've spent most of today dismantling our (fairly old) Phillips Washing
Machine in order to get at the drum bearings that have totally collapsed.
Upon doing so, however, it has become apparent that the whole machine is
completely caked in limescale. The worst component was the heating element,
which came out as one big blob of crud!! I can't believe that this has been
heating the water for a long time.
My question is, would it be worth my while completely cleaning and descaling
every part of the machine (it is already in bits and accessible), or would I
be just wasting my time?
I have already paid £40 for a new set of bearings which will now be no
problem to fit.

Thanks
Paul

From recent forays to buy new appliances, your choice would be to
repair decent but crudish old ones, or replace with completely new
instant crud.

I would opt for refurbishing the old crud, it may be higher quality
than replacement.

Lurch

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:23:30 +0000 (UTC), "Paul S"
strung together this:

My question is, would it be worth my while completely cleaning and descaling
every part of the machine (it is already in bits and accessible), or would I
be just wasting my time?

Well, can't hurt to clean the old one out. The only thing that can go
wrong is a leak where limescale is patching up a hole, or something
not working.
Clean it all out then test it with the back and lid off and check for
leaks etc... if it all works then fine, if it doesn't, flog it in the
local free ads.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

If you descale it it will be more effective at cleaning clothes. OTOH
its not the quickest job. The worst should be offchippable, then its
acids.

Citric is hopelessly slow, but safe. Use it boiling to wake it up.
Hydrochloric is fast but eats anything it sees. Sulphamic and
phosphoric somewhere between the 2.

Note acid is somewhat incompatible with eyeballs - well, I dont know
who's reading this.

Maybe do a monthly boil wash with citric acid in future. Note its more
effective if you let the wash reach boiling then switch it off
overnight, then on again to complete the wash in the morning.

Descaling does produce a small risk of leaks and element failure.

Why dont you answer your own q: spend 2 hours and =A32 descaling, or
spend 200 on another machine? Doesnt seem much of a challenging q to me

NT

Coherers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Why dont you answer your own q: spend 2 hours and £2 descaling, or
spend 200 on another machine? Doesnt seem much of a challenging q to me

Maybe he's on £150 per hour like my solicitor!

Paul S

wrote in message
ups.com...
If you descale it it will be more effective at cleaning clothes. OTOH
its not the quickest job. The worst should be offchippable, then its
acids.

Citric is hopelessly slow, but safe. Use it boiling to wake it up.
Hydrochloric is fast but eats anything it sees. Sulphamic and
phosphoric somewhere between the 2.

What about the descaling powders/gels available? Are they not worth the
money?

Note acid is somewhat incompatible with eyeballs - well, I dont know
who's reading this.

I will try to remember not to pour it into my eyes, thanks!!!