Gnube

Default Online Supplier for abrasives? Mainly for Wet & Dry

Wanting to get further into Scary Sharp (after a very impressive trial
run!)

I'm looking for a supplier with the ability to sell me smaller
quantities, mail order, online ordering and a good reputation.

Who's flexible enough to sell me maybe a couple of sheets (max 10 of
any one grit) of a fair number of different grits?

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Peter Ashby

In article ,
Gnube wrote:

Wanting to get further into Scary Sharp (after a very impressive trial
run!)

I'm looking for a supplier with the ability to sell me smaller
quantities, mail order, online ordering and a good reputation.

Who's flexible enough to sell me maybe a couple of sheets (max 10 of
any one grit) of a fair number of different grits?

I bought all mine from the local halfords right up to 1200 grit at
least. So far I have only used a couple of sheets from each pack.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Gnube

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:16:08 +0100, Nick Nelson
wrote:

Nick Nelson wrote:

who seem to do packs of 10 in the full range (I use
the WS-flex range personally).

I forgot to say that I don't usually use all the steps,
for final finishing for example I will go 600/1000/1500.

Nick

OK, thanks to you and Peter on this one, I have now found screwfix do
120-1200 in fairly close steps given the list from the original and
they also have some alox in the lower grades below 120 - and the WS
flex covers the 1500-2500 area nicely, at a bit of a premium, but at
least they have it! So it looks like a bit of a spending spree on some
abrasive papers then! (quite pricey to get the whole range, but I can
imagine it being a sound investment from what I've seen so far!)

I just did a trial up to about 600 or maybe just slightly more
(unmarked sheet from pack of Mouse paper) and I got to the point
where I could use the chisel as a plane or whittling knife, but with
much less effort, and rather better results than normal! This was on
some very old throw away type chisels, and if that can do this for
them, then lord only knows what the real thing might achieve!

I found the lower grits on the mouse seemed acceptable and cut down
the donkey work quite well. Having the whole range of grits, a sheet
of glass and a sharpening/honing jig should make it all a bit good I'd
guess! I better go research those other bits and find some moderately
good new chisels - may try one of those Irwin Marples sets out of
interest. £23 for four isn't too bad although it's almost 10 times
what I paid for the 3 no name (Taurus?) ones I have now!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Nick Nelson

Gnube wrote:

guess! I better go research those other bits and find some moderately
good new chisels - may try one of those Irwin Marples sets out of
interest. £23 for four isn't too bad although it's almost 10 times
what I paid for the 3 no name (Taurus?) ones I have now!

#Almost exactly a year ago I posted this:

#I've been going through my selection of chisels and weeding
#out duplicates etc. So, looking for good homes a

#1/8" mortice Robert Sorby modern (octagonal handle)
#1/4" firmer Provost old
#1/4" firmer Marples old
#1/2" bevel Robt Sorby middling old
#1/2" firmer Robt Sorby old
#1/2" firmer Wilkinson old
#3/4" firmer Charles Taylor old
#1" firmer Marples middling old

#Handles vary from very good to rather tatty, one or two
#I've made myself. These are all good quality, anything
#I come across which doesn't shape up* goes in the bin.

#Not interested in money, but any interesting swaps in
#the woodworking/light engineering line very welcome.

#In particular I seem te be without anything decent in
#5/8", so anyone with an old Marples firmer or bevel
#going spare will be first in the queue.

#Nick

#* I test them by regrinding and honing to a very fine
#edge and then treating them rather harshly (ooh er missus).
#This always includes whacking them very hard into a
#block of oak across the grain with a mallet. Other
#kinds of unpleasantness vary with my mood and the type
#of chisel. If they come through unscathed they get to
#stay.

No one seemed interested, but I still have them and
they're yours if you want them.

Nick
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:23:54 +0100, Nick Nelson
wrote:

#I've been going through my selection of chisels and weeding
#out duplicates etc.

Why ? A duplicate of a common size allows you to do a full day's
work without stopping for honing.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Peter Ashby wrote:
I bought all mine from the local halfords right up to 1200 grit at
least. So far I have only used a couple of sheets from each pack.

Much cheaper to use your local automotive paint supplier.

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Peter Ashby

In article ,
Gnube wrote:

I found the lower grits on the mouse seemed acceptable and cut down
the donkey work quite well. Having the whole range of grits, a sheet
of glass and a sharpening/honing jig should make it all a bit good I'd
guess! I better go research those other bits and find some moderately
good new chisels - may try one of those Irwin Marples sets out of
interest. £23 for four isn't too bad although it's almost 10 times
what I paid for the 3 no name (Taurus?) ones I have now!

Furniture and Cabinetmaking magazine recently did a chisel test and the
marples didn't come out too well, though its not clear if they tested
the blue chip range or not. Two Cherries chisels came out top all round
and from the three I have I can only concur, beautifully polished on
arrival and backs flat as the proverbial. Steel holds a good edge too
(unless you hit a nail ;-( ) and octagonal handles don't roll off the
bench. Axminster stock them.

Peter