Nick Nelson

Default Online Supplier for abrasives? Mainly for Wet & Dry

Gnube wrote:

guess! I better go research those other bits and find some moderately
good new chisels - may try one of those Irwin Marples sets out of
interest. £23 for four isn't too bad although it's almost 10 times
what I paid for the 3 no name (Taurus?) ones I have now!

#Almost exactly a year ago I posted this:

#I've been going through my selection of chisels and weeding
#out duplicates etc. So, looking for good homes a

#1/8" mortice Robert Sorby modern (octagonal handle)
#1/4" firmer Provost old
#1/4" firmer Marples old
#1/2" bevel Robt Sorby middling old
#1/2" firmer Robt Sorby old
#1/2" firmer Wilkinson old
#3/4" firmer Charles Taylor old
#1" firmer Marples middling old

#Handles vary from very good to rather tatty, one or two
#I've made myself. These are all good quality, anything
#I come across which doesn't shape up* goes in the bin.

#Not interested in money, but any interesting swaps in
#the woodworking/light engineering line very welcome.

#In particular I seem te be without anything decent in
#5/8", so anyone with an old Marples firmer or bevel
#going spare will be first in the queue.

#Nick

#* I test them by regrinding and honing to a very fine
#edge and then treating them rather harshly (ooh er missus).
#This always includes whacking them very hard into a
#block of oak across the grain with a mallet. Other
#kinds of unpleasantness vary with my mood and the type
#of chisel. If they come through unscathed they get to
#stay.

No one seemed interested, but I still have them and
they're yours if you want them.

Nick