Gnube

Default Online Supplier for abrasives? Mainly for Wet & Dry

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:16:08 +0100, Nick Nelson
wrote:

Nick Nelson wrote:

who seem to do packs of 10 in the full range (I use
the WS-flex range personally).

I forgot to say that I don't usually use all the steps,
for final finishing for example I will go 600/1000/1500.

Nick

OK, thanks to you and Peter on this one, I have now found screwfix do
120-1200 in fairly close steps given the list from the original and
they also have some alox in the lower grades below 120 - and the WS
flex covers the 1500-2500 area nicely, at a bit of a premium, but at
least they have it! So it looks like a bit of a spending spree on some
abrasive papers then! (quite pricey to get the whole range, but I can
imagine it being a sound investment from what I've seen so far!)

I just did a trial up to about 600 or maybe just slightly more
(unmarked sheet from pack of Mouse paper) and I got to the point
where I could use the chisel as a plane or whittling knife, but with
much less effort, and rather better results than normal! This was on
some very old throw away type chisels, and if that can do this for
them, then lord only knows what the real thing might achieve!

I found the lower grits on the mouse seemed acceptable and cut down
the donkey work quite well. Having the whole range of grits, a sheet
of glass and a sharpening/honing jig should make it all a bit good I'd
guess! I better go research those other bits and find some moderately
good new chisels - may try one of those Irwin Marples sets out of
interest. £23 for four isn't too bad although it's almost 10 times
what I paid for the 3 no name (Taurus?) ones I have now!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}