al

Default Paint stripping advice?

Been using paint stripper today to remove some ancient paint from my garage
frame. Not a pleasant experience - damn messy stuff and it burns if you
don't notice it drop on your skin!!

So ... I'm now looking for an electric stripper ) .. and yes, we're
still talking about paint!

Dropped into HomeBase on the way home and they only had a single brand
there. Can't remember what it was but I'd never heard of it. It cost £15
and was 1500W. Didn't buy it as it looked a bit crap!

My question is what you get for money - should I pay more for a better one
elsewhere? Is it just a case of any old one will do? If quality matter,
any advice on what to get? I don't want to spend too much as I won't be
doing a huge amount with it. Just occasional refresh work.

al

OK, so Heatgun is the correct term for it! Found two:

One's a DeWalt (£13 more) and the other is a Ferm. Anyone used either?

John Jardine

al wrote in message
Been using paint stripper today to remove some ancient paint from my

garage
frame. Not a pleasant experience - damn messy stuff and it burns if you
don't notice it drop on your skin!!

So ... I'm now looking for an electric stripper ) .. and yes, we're
still talking about paint!

Dropped into HomeBase on the way home and they only had a single brand
there. Can't remember what it was but I'd never heard of it. It cost £15
and was 1500W. Didn't buy it as it looked a bit crap!

My question is what you get for money - should I pay more for a better one
elsewhere? Is it just a case of any old one will do? If quality matter,
any advice on what to get? I don't want to spend too much as I won't be
doing a huge amount with it. Just occasional refresh work.

Buy the cheap one. My cheapie has been abused summat rotten for years and
years and is still going strong. There's nowt in 'em so cost doesn't
correlate with quality.
I'd also add, that nowadays, the old adage about quality tools being pricey
doesn't generally apply. I could scream at the number of times I've come
across people who won't touch the Chinese imports because they have fixation
that a cheap price means an inferior product. (sheep
They'll spend hundreds on a DeWalt tool to be used only occasionally and
then snottily condescend upon DIYers who actually do the biz using tools
they know from hard personal experience to be of lasting value.
From an engineering POV, just compare the flimsy mouldings and poor
metalwork of a Bosch router with the overall much higher quality Chinese
imports offered at a quarter of the price.
regards
john

al

"John Jardine" wrote in message
Buy the cheap one. My cheapie has been abused summat rotten for years and
years and is still going strong. There's nowt in 'em so cost doesn't
correlate with quality.
I'd also add, that nowadays, the old adage about quality tools being

pricey
doesn't generally apply. I could scream at the number of times I've come
across people who won't touch the Chinese imports because they have

fixation
that a cheap price means an inferior product. (sheep
They'll spend hundreds on a DeWalt tool to be used only occasionally and
then snottily condescend upon DIYers who actually do the biz using tools
they know from hard personal experience to be of lasting value.
From an engineering POV, just compare the flimsy mouldings and poor
metalwork of a Bosch router with the overall much higher quality Chinese
imports offered at a quarter of the price.
regards
john

Sounds good to me. It's really just a hair dryer in a harder case! I think
I'll go for the Fern one from Screwfix though rather than the Homebase one -
at least I recognise the name. Got a cheap belt-sander from them before and
it works really well so far!

Rob Graham

"al" wrote in message ...
Been using paint stripper today to remove some ancient paint from my garage
frame. Not a pleasant experience - damn messy stuff and it burns if you
don't notice it drop on your skin!!

So ... I'm now looking for an electric stripper ) .. and yes, we're
still talking about paint!

Dropped into HomeBase on the way home and they only had a single brand
there. Can't remember what it was but I'd never heard of it. It cost £15
and was 1500W. Didn't buy it as it looked a bit crap!

My question is what you get for money - should I pay more for a better one
elsewhere? Is it just a case of any old one will do? If quality matter,
any advice on what to get? I don't want to spend too much as I won't be
doing a huge amount with it. Just occasional refresh work.

If its 'ancient paint' won't it be lead based and therefore unwise to
be taken off with heat ? Stick to stripper and a tough pair of
gloves.

Rob

N. Thornton

"al" wrote in message ...

Sounds good to me. It's really just a hair dryer in a harder case! I think

I've seen someone use a hairdryer and put their hand over the air
intake to get the air hot enough. It worked alright, but I dont think
it was a very smart idea.

I dont recommend this! The piont is just that it is a higher temp
version of a hairdryer.

Regards, NT
Dave Plowman

In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
I've seen someone use a hairdryer and put their hand over the air
intake to get the air hot enough. It worked alright, but I dont think
it was a very smart idea.

It should have a cutout to prevent the air getting too hot. Sounds like it
wasn't working.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Removing paint from sandstone Nick UK diy 2 July 31st 03 03:00 PM
Paint problem A.T. UK diy 4 July 31st 03 12:11 AM
Urgent! Little flies on fresh paint Mike Mitchell UK diy 10 July 30th 03 09:58 PM
Protecting paint tins from frost ben UK diy 4 July 7th 03 10:33 PM
Paint Problem BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:29 PM