Alan Campbell

Default Building regs and boiler in porch

Hi,

I've recently renovated a house from near dereliction. Got all the
required approvals etc, and things have been mostly fine.

I changed plans by adding a porch and building control said that was
fine, it was small enough that they didn't care but I decided to
change things and move the (oil) boiler from the proposed location
(kitchen) into the porch.
They now say that changes things and I must now do full calcs,
drawings etc for the porch. The BCO is somewhat sketchy about why -
"just because it has to".
I don't want to get on the wrong side of him about this.

Anyone here know why or should I just do as he asks as it is
impossible to win with building control?

Thanks,

Alan.
Mike

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've recently renovated a house from near dereliction. Got all the
required approvals etc, and things have been mostly fine.

I changed plans by adding a porch and building control said that was
fine, it was small enough that they didn't care but I decided to
change things and move the (oil) boiler from the proposed location
(kitchen) into the porch.
They now say that changes things and I must now do full calcs,
drawings etc for the porch.

You either need to do plans (full plans) or submit calculations (building
notice). But never both.

A friend had one recently here who asked for calculations after full plans
for a balcony were submitted bit a word with his boss (who almost admitted
said idiot didn't know how to calculate moments) got things sorted out.

BigWallop

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've recently renovated a house from near dereliction. Got all the
required approvals etc, and things have been mostly fine.

I changed plans by adding a porch and building control said that was
fine, it was small enough that they didn't care but I decided to
change things and move the (oil) boiler from the proposed location
(kitchen) into the porch.
They now say that changes things and I must now do full calcs,
drawings etc for the porch. The BCO is somewhat sketchy about why -
"just because it has to".
I don't want to get on the wrong side of him about this.

Anyone here know why or should I just do as he asks as it is
impossible to win with building control?

Thanks,

Alan.

You're now using what was "a simple porch" for housing a potential fire risk
appliance. It will also be an appliance that could possibly exceed the
combustible materials consent in confined areas. You may also have to
explain the whole construction of what is being fitted in and around the
boiler. i.e. Flue Pipework, combustible materials in the wall structures,
Fire Escape provision Etc. Etc.

Your original plans where for the boiler to be positioned in one area, and
now your proposal has changed from the certified drawings. These can't
happen without new drawings and further consent being granted. I do hope
you've asked before starting to plan the new pipework layout though, because
this might not get consent because of the silly things that must be met
before appliances can be installed.

Good luck with it.

Alan Campbell

"BigWallop" wrote in message .uk...
[...]

Thanks for the replies.
as usual, I will do as the BCO bids and learn never to trust an
architect who says "Building Control don't care about small changes -
just submit the plans as they are."

Alan.

11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Building an Extension (Preparation Stage) Andrew UK diy 7 December 29th 03 11:48 PM
Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs Mitch UK diy 8 December 7th 03 11:11 AM