Glenn Proctor

Default Electric shower not as hot as it used to be

Hi

We've got an electric shower. It's made by Aqualisa, and (I'm not sure of the
correct term here) it just pumps the water - it doesn't do any heating. There's
a temperature control knob on the front as well as one for adjusting the flow.

It's about 3 years old and has always been fine, however over the last few
months we've noticed it's not quite as hot as it used to be. Even on the maximum
temerature setting, it's not as hot as the water coming out of the taps. I've
confirmed this using a thermometer.

Any suggestions? I'm aware that electric showers have temperature limiters in
them, but that wouldn't explain why it used to be OK, but isn't now.

We've had some plumbing done elsewhere in the house, so the mains stopcock's
been off and on a few times. The only thing I can think of is that the cold
water pressure coming into the shower is too high, and there's not enough hot
water for it to "keep up" - could this be the reason?

Thanks in advance

Glenn.
John Stumbles

Glenn Proctor wrote:
[...]

The cold supply should probably be off a separate tapping on the cold
tank in the roof (though some shower mixers can cope with mains cold and
gravity hot). Could be filter on the hot inlet to the shower getting
blocked: this'll probably be in the pipe connecting into the mixer (i.e.
impossible to get at :-).

Or (assuming it's thermostatic) the thermostatic mechanism could be
getting out of kilter.

You could let the hot water go cold and check whether you get a good
_flow_ from the mixer, set to max temperature. If you don't that'd
suggest blocked filters, if you do it's likely to be the thermostatic
mechanism.

You should be able to take it apart and clean it (though you may find
O-rings don't seal well when you put it back together again) and you
should be able to get a new themostatic mechanism innards for it from
Aqualisa (which I hope would include any O-rings you need to replace in
doing so).
BigWallop

"Glenn Proctor" wrote in message
[...]

Try turning the cold supply down a bit to the shower. You should have
isolator valves at the pump. Choose the pipes that feed to the pump and not
the one from the pump to the shower. The isolator valves are usually like
straight connectors with a slot right in the middle to fit a screw driver
in, but some systems have proper stopcock taps on them to make servicing the
pump easier.

Turning the cold supply down a bit should increase the hot flow and so raise
the temperature again.

This is the first thing I'd check in this weather. It's getting colder
outside, and water being supplied to the house is also getting colder. With
these changes in the supply temperature of the water, then things in the
house can, and normally do, change their characteristics.

Stuart

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:48:48 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

[...]

I thought he said it was an ELECTRIC shower he has the problem with .??
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
BigWallop

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:48:48 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

snipped
these changes in the supply temperature of the water, then things in the
house can, and normally do, change their characteristics.

I thought he said it was an ELECTRIC shower he has the problem with .??
Stuart

So this bit in the original post doesn't mean anything then?

"We've got an electric shower. It's made by Aqualisa, and (I'm not sure of
the correct term here) it just pumps the water"

This comment, along with the fact that most Aqualisa Showers are
thermostatic valves with shower heads attached, made me assume it was a
shower with a pumped supply. Although Aqualisa do, do Instant Shower
systems as well.

Glenn Proctor

Folks

Thanks for the advice so far.

To clarify: the shower does not do any heating of the water itself. It just
mixes the existing hot & cold water supplies. The only controls are a
thermostatic dial and an Off-On-Boost flow control knob. It's an Aqualisa, I
think the Aquastream, as pictured & described he

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/191-2416

The water feeds are into the rear of the unit so I'm not sure if I can do
anything about adjusting the water pressure without dismantling the whole thing.

Glenn.
BigWallop

"Glenn Proctor" wrote in message
Folks

Thanks for the advice so far.

To clarify: the shower does not do any heating of the water itself. It

just
mixes the existing hot & cold water supplies. The only controls are a
thermostatic dial and an Off-On-Boost flow control knob. It's an Aqualisa,

think the Aquastream, as pictured & described he

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/191-2416

The water feeds are into the rear of the unit so I'm not sure if I can do
anything about adjusting the water pressure without dismantling the whole

thing.

Glenn.

NO !!!! Whoa up there Glen. The pipes that supply the shower will, or
better have, isolator valves on them, so that the shower can be serviced or
repaired without turning all your water off. Please don't go dismantling
your shower at this stage of the fault finding. We don't know if anything
is actually broken yet. :-))

Trace the pipework back to the pump or the tanks from which they're
supplied. Somewhere along these pipes should be taps, stopcocks or things
called Service Valves. A service valve looks just like a straight plumbing
connector, but it has a small slot cut into the middle of it. The slot
actually takes a screwdriver and is used to turn the water off to the rest
of the system so it can be serviced or repaired. Hence the name Service
Valve.

There should be a tap on each side of the supply system, one for the hot,
and of course, one for the cold. The cold water is now coming into the
house much colder than it has been over the summer months, so the shower is
more likely struggling to keep itself hot with a much colder water supply.
If you turn the cold water supply pressure off a bit, then the shower will
not be taking in as much cold and should then be able to balance the
temperature again. So, you should get a hotter shower again.

Start looking along the pipework and try to find a tap, stopcock or a
service valve on the cold water supply side. When you find it, turn it off
a bit, not to much, until you can feel the shower getting hotter. This
might be best done with two people, especially if the pipes are in an
awkward spot, one to feel the shower temperature, while you slowly turn the
cold supply down until you're shouted at.

Good luck with it.

Glenn Proctor

BigWallop wrote:

NO !!!! Whoa up there Glen.

Heh, this was going to be a weekend project, so you've stopped me in time

Trace the pipework back to the pump or the tanks from which they're
supplied. Somewhere along these pipes should be taps, stopcocks or things
called Service Valves. A service valve looks just like a straight plumbing
connector, but it has a small slot cut into the middle of it. The slot
actually takes a screwdriver and is used to turn the water off to the rest
of the system so it can be serviced or repaired. Hence the name Service
Valve.

I'm familiar with what you're talking about - there are some of them elsewhere
in the house. I'm not sure where the ones controlling the shower feeds are -
I'll have to do some detective work. I know the pipes run from the attic down to
the airing cupboard in the bathroom where the hot water storage tank is, then
under the bath and up the wall to the shower (they're embedded in the wall and
tiled over).
[...]

Thanks for the clear advice - I'll have a go at the weekend and let y'all know
how I get on.

Cheers

Glenn.
Pete C

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:18:02 +0000, Glenn Proctor
wrote:

Folks

Thanks for the advice so far.

To clarify: the shower does not do any heating of the water itself. It just
mixes the existing hot & cold water supplies. The only controls are a
thermostatic dial and an Off-On-Boost flow control knob. It's an Aqualisa, I
think the Aquastream, as pictured & described he

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/191-2416

The water feeds are into the rear of the unit so I'm not sure if I can do
anything about adjusting the water pressure without dismantling the whole thing.

Glenn.

Hi,

Sounds like the mains cold water is at too high a pressure compared to
the tanked hot water. Closing the stopcock some may mitigate this but
the best way to go if it is this problem is a pressure reducing valve.

cheers,
Pete.
Set Square

wrote:

[...]

I hope not! This unit is designed for stored water systems only - and needs
to get its cold feed from the header tank, *not* from the mains. I presume
that it *is* correctly plumbed?

If hot water isn't getting through properly, there could possibly be a
partial blockage in the pipe. If this is the case, you may be able to clear
it by disconnecting the hot supply at the unit, and back-flushing it with
mains water.

Alternatively, there may be some adjustments inside the unit which limit how
far the mixing valve can move in the hot direction. [It needs to move more
in winter than in summer anyway, because the cold supply is colder]. Have
you got an installation manual? If not, it would be worth contacting
Aqualisa, who will probably send one to you. [As far as I can see, there
isn't a downloadable version on their website].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Glenn Proctor

Set Square wrote:

I hope not! This unit is designed for stored water systems only - and needs
to get its cold feed from the header tank, *not* from the mains. I presume
that it *is* correctly plumbed?

It does its feed from the cold tank.

If hot water isn't getting through properly, there could possibly be a
partial blockage in the pipe. If this is the case, you may be able to clear
it by disconnecting the hot supply at the unit, and back-flushing it with
mains water.

Difficult (for me at least) as the pipes are in the wall and go into the shower
unit from the back.

Alternatively, there may be some adjustments inside the unit which limit how
far the mixing valve can move in the hot direction. [It needs to move more
in winter than in summer anyway, because the cold supply is colder]. Have
you got an installation manual?

Yes I have an installation manual. It gives instructions as to how to
disassemble it, but they're quite daunting to someone of my limited skills and
experience!

Glenn.
Pete C

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:04:34 +0000, Glenn Proctor wrote:

Set Square wrote:

I hope not! This unit is designed for stored water systems only - and needs
to get its cold feed from the header tank, *not* from the mains. I presume
that it *is* correctly plumbed?

It does its feed from the cold tank.

Hi,

Could be worth checking if that's OK with Mira. I would guess that the
installer may have turned the stopcock down a bit to reduce the cold
water pressure when it's running.

See if there is a service manual available from Mira or the website,
it could have a section on fault diagnosis which would help, if not a
google on shower faults this group would give lots of ideas.

If the shower has a stop on the controls it would be worth checking
the thermostat has not drifted, making it too low.

cheers,
Pete.
Set Square

Pete C wrote:

Hi,

Could be worth checking if that's OK with Mira. I would guess that the
installer may have turned the stopcock down a bit to reduce the cold
water pressure when it's running.

Mira won't care! - It's an Aqualisa Aquastream!
--
Cheers,
Set Square