Dave

Default Any views on B&Q kitchens?

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Dave

Dave wrote:
SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

oops - that should be ... "comments on the quality of B&Q units compared
to IKEA and others?"

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
The Natural Philosopher

Dave wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Ikea are crap even when compared to Ikea, let alone anyone else. ;-)
Rick Dipper

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:41:51 +0000, Dave
wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

After many an MFI, I fitted a B&Q, and next time I'll fit a B&Q cause
I was so impressed.

Its not just the quality, its the whole shopping experience, you got
the shop, and come back with a complete kitchen.

IKEA look cheep, untill you add in all the bits that are not included.

Rick

Alex

Not from my window

Andy Hall

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

I used some doors from their solid oak range for built in cupboards
and drawers for my office.

The quality is quite good. I did find on one that they had done a
poor job of selecting boards to go side by side for the panels - one
very much darker than the rest. It doesn't need to match, but on the
rest of the doors the colour variation across the door stood out.
I took it back and got it changed, but when I bought some more, I
asked for them to be opened before buying.

Their carcasses are quite mediochre. I needed to do different things
to what would be used in a kitchen so made my own. I would probably
do the same for a kitchen if I used them from that. They aren't the
worst carcasses I've seen, but not the best either.

I wasn't so impressed with B&Q's foil/veneer covered ranges in terms
of construction quality of the doors.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
EricP

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

B&Q do good units and doors. They look ok and install nicely. The bit
that goes on the top, (cornice?) is crap and very difficult to cut and
install without looking diabolical.

Drawers seem good quality, run nicely and have that "drop down" thing
just before they close so they shut nicely.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:41:51 +0000, Dave wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Take a look at the Focus stuff, much more limited range (about 5 I
think) but the fittings, drawer runners, hinges etc are better
quality.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Aiden

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Have you considered Wickes - a number of mates have chosen them over
the years and consider they are good quality and finish - if you find
a style you want, of course. We thinking of them for a renovation
we're just starting.

Aiden
nightjar

"Dave" wrote in message
SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

I have used mid-price range B&Q kitchen units for a couple of kitchen refits
and have been very satisfied with the quality of the units and the ease of
building.

Colin Bignell

Tony Eva

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ikea are crap even when compared to Ikea, let alone anyone else. ;-)

OK, I'll bite: why do you say that?

I ask because I'm just about to choose Ikea for my kitchen, largely
because they seem to be the only place that offers 900mm high wall
units. However, I have just fitted a couple of Ikea base units in my
utility room, and I'm quite happy with their quality. I mean, one
chipboard carcass is much like another, and the doors, hinges etc seem
OK to me. (I'm specifically referring to the 'Tidaholm' oak doors, some
of the others are pretty crappy, but then so are some of B&Q's cheaper
foil-covered MDF ranges.)

If there's a concrete reason why I should shun Ikea and go for B&Q,
Wickes, MFI, whatever, then please tell me now before I spend the money!

--
Tony
murdoch5

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Have you considered Wickes - a number of mates have chosen them over
the years and consider they are good quality and finish - if you find
a style you want, of course. We thinking of them for a renovation
we're just starting.

Aiden

yes they are ok but mfi offer a much bigger choice
murdoch5

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Have you considered Wickes - a number of mates have chosen them over
the years and consider they are good quality and finish - if you find
a style you want, of course. We thinking of them for a renovation
we're just starting.

Aiden

they are ok but mfi have a wider range which is important
The Natural Philosopher

Tony Eva wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ikea are crap even when compared to Ikea, let alone anyone else. ;-)

OK, I'll bite: why do you say that?

I ask because I'm just about to choose Ikea for my kitchen, largely
because they seem to be the only place that offers 900mm high wall
units. However, I have just fitted a couple of Ikea base units in my
utility room, and I'm quite happy with their quality. I mean, one
chipboard carcass is much like another, and the doors, hinges etc seem
OK to me. (I'm specifically referring to the 'Tidaholm' oak doors, some
of the others are pretty crappy, but then so are some of B&Q's cheaper
foil-covered MDF ranges.)

If there's a concrete reason why I should shun Ikea and go for B&Q,
Wickes, MFI, whatever, then please tell me now before I spend the money!

I think the FT summed it up hen it cmmented on the IKEA philosophy:

"Slightly better than the worst, but so much worse than the best'
Tony Eva

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I think the FT summed it up hen it cmmented on the IKEA philosophy:

"Slightly better than the worst, but so much worse than the best'

OK, but that's still a bit short on information, isn't it? Certainly
without stating what the 'worst' and 'best' are, it's a meaningless
comparison. Is the 'best' a bespoke solid-wood custom designed and
fitted job, for example?

I'll agree that Ikea does have a lot of rubbish in their stores, and it
pays to be very selective when shopping there. However, having looked at
their kitchens, and also at Homebase, B&Q, MFI, Magnet and Wickes, I
can't really see what the big downside is. Some shops have more choice
than others, but if Ikea has a style I like, and the cabinet sizes I
want, at a cost that's pretty much ballpark, then are there other solid
reasons why I should avoid them?

(I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I would just like to know what
I might be letting myself in for *before* parting with my cash!)

--
Tony

stuart noble

(I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I would just like to know what
I might be letting myself in for *before* parting with my cash!)

All I can remember about the Ikea kitchen I fitted was that the backing is
right at the back, leaving you no room for pipes etc and that the plinths
are crappy. I ran masking tape along the join with the floor to do the seal
and it pulled the veneer off.

Capitol

murdoch5 wrote:

yes they are ok but mfi offer a much bigger choice

Well, going on my recent experiences, MFI and B & Q delivery can be a
very iffy operation. MFI, taking up to 16 weeks with 8 reschedules and
numerous phone calls, to perhaps finish delivering tomorrow. As MFI make
B & Q kitchens( but B&Q are to a higher carcase spec IMO), then if it's
not a stock item at B & Q (Delivery can be a problem), I'd seriously
consider another supplier.

Regards
Capitol
tony sayer

In article , Capitol capitol@spamfre
e.freeserve.co.uk writes

murdoch5 wrote:

yes they are ok but mfi offer a much bigger choice

Well, going on my recent experiences, MFI and B & Q delivery can be a
very iffy operation. MFI, taking up to 16 weeks with 8 reschedules and
numerous phone calls, to perhaps finish delivering tomorrow. As MFI make
B & Q kitchens( but B&Q are to a higher carcase spec IMO), then if it's
not a stock item at B & Q (Delivery can be a problem), I'd seriously
consider another supplier.

Regards
Capitol

Howdens make them for B&Q FWIW.....
--
Tony Sayer

Capitol

tony sayer wrote:

Howdens make them for B&Q FWIW.....

and are owned by MFI!!

Regards
Capitol
MBQ

Capitol wrote in message ...
murdoch5 wrote:

yes they are ok but mfi offer a much bigger choice

Well, going on my recent experiences, MFI and B & Q delivery can be a
very iffy operation. MFI, taking up to 16 weeks with 8 reschedules and
numerous phone calls, to perhaps finish delivering tomorrow. As MFI make

Haven't MFI just sacked someone high up cos the new inventory system
totally screwed up their deliveries?

B & Q kitchens( but B&Q are to a higher carcase spec IMO), then if it's
not a stock item at B & Q (Delivery can be a problem), I'd seriously
consider another supplier.

Why do you say that? I found B&Q kitchen delivery to be excellent in
all respects.

MBQ

MBQ

wrote:

SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

B&Q do good units and doors. They look ok and install nicely. The bit
that goes on the top, (cornice?) is crap and very difficult to cut and
install without looking diabolical.

Drawers seem good quality, run nicely and have that "drop down" thing
just before they close so they shut nicely.

Those are the premium drawer boxes which you have to buy seperately,
but well worth it.

Also worth buying are the "pneumatic" door stops to make the cupboard
doors close quietly.

MBQ
Chris Hodges

Tony Eva wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ikea are crap even when compared to Ikea, let alone anyone else. ;-)

OK, I'll bite: why do you say that?

I ask because I'm just about to choose Ikea for my kitchen, largely
because they seem to be the only place that offers 900mm high wall
units. However, I have just fitted a couple of Ikea base units in my
utility room, and I'm quite happy with their quality. I mean, one
chipboard carcass is much like another, and the doors, hinges etc seem
OK to me. (I'm specifically referring to the 'Tidaholm' oak doors, some
of the others are pretty crappy, but then so are some of B&Q's cheaper
foil-covered MDF ranges.)

If there's a concrete reason why I should shun Ikea and go for B&Q,
Wickes, MFI, whatever, then please tell me now before I spend the money!

I'm 1/2 way through fitting an ikea kitchen. we chose it over b&q/mfi
because:
-they had a choice of fairly plain ones
-b&q's store display ones had been put together so badly it didn't look
possible to do a proper job (either that or they were falling to bits
-mfi don't want you to buy a kitchen, they want to sell you a kitchen,
so even getting a rough idea of prices wasn't easy (look inside the
doors and you might find a salesman's crib sheet.

We're happy with it so far, though I have added extra fixing to the wall
units, as we have 2 large units that aren't joined to anything for
mutual support.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Chris Hodges

stuart noble wrote:
(I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I would just like to know what
I might be letting myself in for *before* parting with my cash!)

All I can remember about the Ikea kitchen I fitted was that the backing is
right at the back, leaving you no room for pipes etc and that the plinths
are crappy. I ran masking tape along the join with the floor to do the seal
and it pulled the veneer off.

I have run pipes inside 1 unit I've fitted, and might omit the back for
pipes/cabling/cooker connector on another - I painted the wall white
just in case.

I would rather have the back to the wall than in an arbitrary position
wasting space and probably getting in the way of seomthing else.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Dave Liquorice

On 16 Nov 2004 04:44:56 -0800, MBQ wrote:

Drawers seem good quality, run nicely and have that "drop down"
thing just before they close so they shut nicely.

Those are the premium drawer boxes which you have to buy seperately,
but well worth it.

Standard on Focus stuff along with metal sides.

Also worth buying are the "pneumatic" door stops to make the
cupboard doors close quietly.

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each) do you
get 'em at a more reasonable price if you buy the cupboards as well?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Natural Philosopher

Chris Hodges wrote:

Tony Eva wrote:

[...]

Huh? I walked into my local MFI, and found a complete brochure and
prices list.

I wanted some cheapo Hygena units to match some I have alredy. Not
great, bit good enough.

Cheap too.

We're happy with it so far, though I have added extra fixing to the wall
units, as we have 2 large units that aren't joined to anything for
mutual support.

sPoNiX

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:52:19 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Dave wrote:
SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

oops - that should be ... "comments on the quality of B&Q units compared
to IKEA and others?"

Go with the B&Q stuff. IME Ikea is very poorly made by comparison.

sPoNiX
MBQ

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 16 Nov 2004 04:44:56 -0800, MBQ wrote:

Drawers seem good quality, run nicely and have that "drop down"
thing just before they close so they shut nicely.

Those are the premium drawer boxes which you have to buy seperately,
but well worth it.

Standard on Focus stuff along with metal sides.

Also worth buying are the "pneumatic" door stops to make the
cupboard doors close quietly.

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each) do you
get 'em at a more reasonable price if you buy the cupboards as well?

You buy them seperately, but B&Q don't sell them individually, only in
packs of four for around a fiver ISTR. I can't find them on the B&Q
website at the moment and you may need to go to a warehouse branch.

MBQ
John Armstrong

On 17 Nov 2004 03:16:21 -0800, MBQ wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 16 Nov 2004 04:44:56 -0800, MBQ wrote:

Also worth buying are the "pneumatic" door stops to make the
cupboard doors close quietly.

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each) do you
get 'em at a more reasonable price if you buy the cupboards as well?

You buy them seperately, but B&Q don't sell them individually, only in
packs of four for around a fiver ISTR. I can't find them on the B&Q
website at the moment and you may need to go to a warehouse branch.

5 for a fiver. Search for part 3190005. I think when I bought some a year
ago they were more expensive. They look different from the picture too
(mine have an all plastic plunger)
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:16:00 +0000, John Armstrong wrote:

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each)

5 for a fiver. Search for part 3190005.

A quid each is more like it. Maybe the packet I looked at had been
"got at"...

I think when I bought some a year ago they were more expensive.

It would be a good 6 months since I noted the price and decided
against...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

MBQ

John Armstrong wrote in message ...
On 17 Nov 2004 03:16:21 -0800, MBQ wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 16 Nov 2004 04:44:56 -0800, MBQ wrote:

Also worth buying are the "pneumatic" door stops to make the
cupboard doors close quietly.

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each) do you
get 'em at a more reasonable price if you buy the cupboards as well?

You buy them seperately, but B&Q don't sell them individually, only in
packs of four for around a fiver ISTR. I can't find them on the B&Q
website at the moment and you may need to go to a warehouse branch.

5 for a fiver. Search for part 3190005. I think when I bought some a year
ago they were more expensive. They look different from the picture too
(mine have an all plastic plunger)

That's the one! I bought mine last year and they were the same price
but have the metal plunger.

MBQ

Paul

Without commented too heavily on the standard of B&Q cabinets. I
would recommend that you shop araound and look for a manufacturer that
supplies 18mm cabinets, preferrably with a solid back. Blum motion
fittings and tandem drawer boxes are the latest kitchen fittings - and
adds a bit of luxury but is not a necessity. Also cheap worktops are
often poor standard - so these are worth shopping around. If you tell
me where you are based, I might be able to recommend a supplier

Regards Paul
Mike

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Without commented too heavily on the standard of B&Q cabinets. I
would recommend that you shop araound and look for a manufacturer that
supplies 18mm cabinets, preferrably with a solid back. Blum motion
fittings and tandem drawer boxes are the latest kitchen fittings - and
adds a bit of luxury but is not a necessity.

Sounds like the Wickes "to order" range.

Ben Blaukopf

stuart noble wrote:
Just doing my first B&Q kitchen but the whole setup, the brochures, design
software, ordering etc suggests that they've thought the concept through
pretty thoroughly. The kitchen design staff at my local (non-warehouse)
branch were **** hot, and I never thought I'd be saying that about anything
related to B&Q.

In that case...

a) Where is the design software? The design your kitchen link takes me
to a PDF doc, which isn't quite what I had in mind!

b) Do you know if you put 2 300mm doors on a 600mm unit? I know it seems
obvious that you should be able to, but the price list is normally
pretty good about saying what goes with what, and doesn't list that
(obvious) choice as an option...

The guy hanging around the kitchen area (I hesitate to call him staff)
at our B&Q was distinctly reluctant to help, and gave me completely
inaccurate figures when I asked him about service gaps and so forth
(I verified the figures by measuring their showroom units).

Ben
John Armstrong

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:42:10 GMT, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

b) Do you know if you put 2 300mm doors on a 600mm unit? I know it seems
obvious that you should be able to, but the price list is normally
pretty good about saying what goes with what, and doesn't list that
(obvious) choice as an option...

Yes you can (and I have, following a slight cock up forgetting about the
projection of the cooker hood...). Wouldn't work with drawers of course.
Capitol

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

b) Do you know if you put 2 300mm doors on a 600mm unit?

Yes you can, but you have to buy extra hinges.

Regards
Capitol

Dave wrote in message ...
SWMBO has decided she likes the look of the B&Q cherry kitchen, any
comments on the quality of IKEA units compared to IKEA and others?

Don't know about quality compared to IKEA but the quality of the B&Q
standard drawer units is awful. Worth upgrading to their more
expensive drawers if you decide to go for them.

Watach out waht you spend. If I had ordered another couple of bits &
bobs (Which I ended up buying later anyway) I would have saved the
delivery charge.

The little things that you fit to stop the doors banging are worth
getting; the template for fixing door handles is a waste of money.

HTH.

Bush dishonesty: Ad misrepresents Kerry's views on terror Florida Patriot Woodworking 8 October 15th 04 01:09 PM
Ikea kitchens Sarah UK diy 5 June 21st 04 04:50 PM
OT- VOTERS` VIEWS ON FIREARM OWNERS` RIGHTS AND HUNTING Gunner Metalworking 20 January 28th 04 05:45 AM
arena kitchens IMM UK diy 2 July 14th 03 07:45 PM