Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Hall

Default RCD Protection of lighting sockets

Here's one for a little debate:
As part of our overall rewiring project I'm about to rewire the lounge
and intend to put in some, (5A round pin), lighting sockets switched
from a wall switch. It's been much trumpeted in this newsgroup about
the safety advantages of having the lighting circuits on the non-RCD
side of a split load CU, - and that is indeed how my lighting is
wired. However, what is the esteemed panels view on the fact that
the, (in my case), floor lamps will also then be fed from a non-RCD'd
outlet. Does anyone see this as a problem with them being (almost) a
portable item? and if so what are the other options.

Another thought that crosses my mind is that 'plug in' lights are
normally only fused at 3A and potentially only have cable rated at 3A.
If I replace their standard fused square pin plug with a 5A round pin
plug then I am not protecting that 3A cable with anything other than a
6A MCB. - What is the norm in this case? - to 'gloss over' it, or can
you in fact get hold of fused round pin plugs?