Lurch

On 11 Nov 2004 14:26:42 -0800,
(Mike Hall) strung together this:

It's been much trumpeted in this newsgroup about
the safety advantages of having the lighting circuits on the non-RCD
side of a split load CU, - and that is indeed how my lighting is
wired. However, what is the esteemed panels view on the fact that
the, (in my case), floor lamps will also then be fed from a non-RCD'd
outlet. Does anyone see this as a problem with them being (almost) a
portable item? and if so what are the other options.

Doesn't matter, you've obviouisly been fed duff information. It's not
portable equipment that requires RCD protection, it's outlets that are
reasonably expected to supply portable equipment used outdoors. As it
is highly unlikely that you will plugging outdoor electrical
appliances into the 5A sockets then no RCD protection is required.
Also, you don't actually need RCD protection on any other sockets
technically, unless you're likely to be plugging in portable
appliances used outdoors, but most people do.
So in summary, no RCD protection for 5A sockets.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd