Paul Mc Cann

Default Sage LINE 50

This is a long shot.

We have used the above for many years but ceased subscribing to their
annual support when it became iniquitously expensive and when instead of
supplying bug fixes they called them upgrades and charged accordingly.

On moving offices I have now forgotten how to re-set up the network
version we have. To my memory its a relatively simpleoiperation but I'm
d****d if I can recall how I did it previously.

Anyone any ideas or can someone point me in the direction of a support
group.

--
Paul Mc Cann
Tony Bryer

In article , Paul Mc Cann
wrote:
Anyone any ideas or can someone point me in the direction of a support
group.

Try uk.business.accountancy

LSR

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .
This is a long shot.

We have used the above for many years but ceased subscribing to their
annual support when it became iniquitously expensive and when instead of
supplying bug fixes they called them upgrades and charged accordingly.

On moving offices I have now forgotten how to re-set up the network
version we have. To my memory its a relatively simpleoiperation but I'm
d****d if I can recall how I did it previously.

Anyone any ideas or can someone point me in the direction of a support
group.

--
Paul Mc Cann

Don't you just map to the data drive then put the path to it in the
plain-text file called "company" (no file extension)?

--

LSR

Trevor Smith

"LSR" wrote in message
"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .
This is a long shot.

We have used the above for many years but ceased subscribing to their
annual support when it became iniquitously expensive and when instead of
supplying bug fixes they called them upgrades and charged accordingly.

On moving offices I have now forgotten how to re-set up the network
version we have. To my memory its a relatively simpleoiperation but I'm
d****d if I can recall how I did it previously.

Anyone any ideas or can someone point me in the direction of a support
group.

Hi
I have just done this on a friends new machines. Install the programme on
the server machine, it asks if you want to install as server, client or
standalone, chose server then share the folder, then on the client machine
access the shared folder and in it you will find a exe file called netsetup
or something like that, just click on that and follow the instructions.
I hope this refreshes your memory
Trevor Smith

---

Paul Mc Cann

[This followup was posted to uk.d-i-y and a copy was sent to the cited
author.]

In article , t.smith@
667726freenet.co.uk says...

"LSR" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I did remember this procedure and managed to get it running
yesterday morning after lots of trials and tribulations( Another 2 hours
lost, these type of jobs are so tedious).

Can you remind me about the procedure with that exe file called netsup
or whatever. It rings a bell but its beem 6 years since I last had to do
this and the old grey matter is well gone by now.

The set up is still not 100% as it won't let either of the two machines
delete a sales or purchase order while the other has Sage running. And
it is running v-e-r-y slowly. (Wireless network)

Probably have to have a go on Saturday morning. Another 1/2 day lost.

--
Paul Mc Cann

Adrian C

Paul Mc Cann wrote:
The set up is still not 100% as it won't let either of the two machines
delete a sales or purchase order while the other has Sage running. And
it is running v-e-r-y slowly. (Wireless network)

Make sure NetBEUI protocol is in your network configuration (faster for
shared directory access, I believe) and all network cards / access
points are told which cable mode 10/100 full/half to connect rather than
relying on "auto negotiation" settings. Use a network switch rather than
a hub, and use a good reviewed make rather than a no name N-way.

Line 50 v.10 if you've got that, has got some stupidly implemented
treeview controls in the report designer which cause a lot of network
traffic to regenerate views of available templates etc. During this,
you'll be convinced your machine has crashed. There is an option to
disable this refresh - I don't remember where it is, it was some time
ago ;-(

Also, make very sure that your wireless setup has ALL the security
features in use. For this type of application, if you have the choice,
I'd lay network cable. Not only for speed & security - what you've
basically got is a database based on shared disk file concepts (like
Access) which only needs a small sneeze to corrupt itself.

If you are using operating systems later than Win98 then refer to the
following Access focused document particulary about "Opportunistic
Locking". This is as applicable to Sage and might solve your multi-user
issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q300216

http://www.sageforum.co.uk/ is a good resource as well.

--

Adrian C
Paul Mc Cann

In article , says...
Paul Mc Cann wrote:
[...]

Very helpful. I'll have a go this weekend. The version we use no. 7

I hadn't heard of the forum, it sounds good also.

Many thanks

--
Paul Mc Cann

Line out jack Joseph Electronics 0 July 17th 04 10:21 AM
Telephone Line 1/ 2 barry martin Home Repair 0 March 8th 04 07:49 PM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM
Removing a Gas Line? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 3 July 15th 03 06:47 PM