Steve Preston

Default Boiler woes *HELP*

I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you the
model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the kitchen.

My dear friends at British Gas have been over three times. At first they
said it wasnt vented properly, so we put some more vents in. Now they are
saying it needs a seperate 22m pipe supply run to the boiler from the meter.
The theory is that when we are using the cooker, the supply to the boiler
drops so much that it re-sets. They are on the same supply. Im not buying
this theory and reckon there is something wrong with it. We had three years
of trouble free boilering and now it needs resetting nearly every other day.

If anyone can shed some light / advice on this issue it would be greatly
apppreciated.

Help me Obi Wan, your my only hope.

Also if anyone knows a good boiler man in the Vauxhaul area, could you drop
me an email to "strikee" at h1o2t3m4a5il -- d-o-t com.

Thanks in advance.

Set Square

Steve Preston wrote:

[...]

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "needs resetting".

Are you saying that your boiler has a permanent pilot light - and that this
is going out, preventing the main burner from firing?

Or are you saying that the boiler has an over-heat thermostat - and that
this is tripping, requiring the re-set button to be pressed (or maybe the
main stat knob to be turned to off and back on again, depending on model)
before the boiler will ignite?

These are different symptoms - resulting from different root causes, so it's
important to understand exactly what's happening.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Tony Bryer

In article , Set Square
wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "needs

resetting".

I missed the original post but as the OP said

I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you
the model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the
kitchen.

I'm guessing that he might have a Potterton Envoy. These have a hot
surface igniter and ignition is on a three strikes and you're
(locked) out ... until you press the reset. Usual fix is to replace
the flame sensor

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:07:18 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Set Square
wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "needs

resetting".

I missed the original post but as the OP said

I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you
the model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the
kitchen.

I'm guessing that he might have a Potterton Envoy. These have a hot
surface igniter and ignition is on a three strikes and you're
(locked) out ... until you press the reset. Usual fix is to replace
the flame sensor

It might be a Suprima (although there are not eco friendly above other
similar models) in which case it's the PCB.
As for the gas piping, see my FAQ below. I would guess that by the 'book'
they are right but in practice this is not the problem.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

geoff

In message u, Steve
Preston writes
I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you the
model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the kitchen.

My dear friends at British Gas have been over three times. At first they
said it wasnt vented properly, so we put some more vents in. Now they are
saying it needs a seperate 22m pipe supply run to the boiler from the meter.
The theory is that when we are using the cooker, the supply to the boiler
drops so much that it re-sets. They are on the same supply. Im not buying
this theory and reckon there is something wrong with it. We had three years
of trouble free boilering and now it needs resetting nearly every other day.

If anyone can shed some light / advice on this issue it would be greatly
apppreciated.

Sorry, you really haven't given enough useful information there

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Set Square
wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "needs

resetting".

I missed the original post but as the OP said

I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you
the model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the
kitchen.

I'm guessing that he might have a Potterton Envoy. These have a hot
surface igniter and ignition is on a three strikes and you're
(locked) out ... until you press the reset. Usual fix is to replace
the flame sensor

Hey Tony ...

I've started repairing Envoy modules

Sorry it's a bit late for you

--
geoff
geoff

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "needs

resetting".

I missed the original post but as the OP said

I have a potterton boiler, less than three years old. It now needs
re-igniting almost daily. Its not a combi, apolgies I cant give you
the model, its a small "eco freindly" type that sits quietly in the
kitchen.

I'm guessing that he might have a Potterton Envoy. These have a hot
surface igniter and ignition is on a three strikes and you're
(locked) out ... until you press the reset. Usual fix is to replace
the flame sensor

It might be a Suprima (although there are not eco friendly above other
similar models) in which case it's the PCB.
As for the gas piping, see my FAQ below. I would guess that by the 'book'
they are right but in practice this is not the problem.

Dunno, saying that it needs relighting would lead me to think it was a
perm pilot ( Puma perhaps?)
--
geoff
Tony Bryer

In article , Geoff wrote:
I've started repairing Envoy modules

Sorry it's a bit late for you

No, the PCB on mine was fine. I just had the problems with
unreliable ignition (the sort of thing the OP was referring to)
and decided that rather than moving the Envoy I would replace it.
It knew it was under sentence and made me feel real guilty by
performing flawlessly in its last few weeks.

Shock us all by telling us how much an Envoy PCB is!

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

geoff

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Geoff wrote:
I've started repairing Envoy modules

Sorry it's a bit late for you

No, the PCB on mine was fine. I just had the problems with
unreliable ignition (the sort of thing the OP was referring to)
and decided that rather than moving the Envoy I would replace it.
It knew it was under sentence and made me feel real guilty by
performing flawlessly in its last few weeks.

Shock us all by telling us how much an Envoy PCB is!

What, new?

I dread to think

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:52:10 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

wrote:
[...]

OP says "not a combi".
The general public use all sots of terms to describe faults on heatign
systems. In fact getting to the bottom of the customers story is sometimes
harder than the actual job.

A typical misnomers is calling the HW cylinder the boiler.
Calling the reset button the 'relight button' is mild in comparison.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM