phil

Default Boiler query (oil burning)

Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

all advice welcome.

Thanks

IMM

"phil" wrote in message

Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

yes.

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
......... this is NOT normal!

It there black smoke from the flue? Get it serviced. Mention the problem
to the serviceman. He will do an combustion test on the boiler. Oil
boilers should be serviced once a year. You can get away with leaving a
good gas boiler for a few years, not an oiler.

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

Of course check the guages and if there is a leak.

Grunff

phil wrote:
Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke.
You'd know about it.

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

Most likely a combination of settling and temperature - oil contracts a
lot as it gets colder.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

Possibly, have you traced the route of the oil pipe, looking for signs
of a leak?

--
Grunff
Michael Chare

"Grunff" wrote in message
phil wrote:
Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke.
You'd know about it.

Is there a vent or filler pipe on the top of the tank where you can use a stick
to dip the tank?

The problem with the indicator tubes is that it is quite possible for the
connection to tank to get bunged up.
(in my limited experience)

You should also check the tank itself for leaks especially if it is a rusty old
steel one.

With the price of oil as it is.....

--

Michael Chare

phil

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:34:10 +0100, Grunff wrote:

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke.
You'd know about it.

Well, there's certainly no smoke whatsoever coming from the flue.

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

Most likely a combination of settling and temperature - oil contracts a
lot as it gets colder.

Here's hoping.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

Possibly, have you traced the route of the oil pipe, looking for signs
of a leak?

Yup, as far as I can tell (the pipe only travels about 20 feet, but it
may be going under the tarmac drive for about half of that so hard to
be sure). Surely though I'd smell it if it was leaking, even if it was
under the tarmac?

phil

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:26:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

It there black smoke from the flue?

Nope, no smoke at all.

Get it serviced. Mention the problem
to the serviceman. He will do an combustion test on the boiler. Oil
boilers should be serviced once a year. You can get away with leaving a
good gas boiler for a few years, not an oiler.

Ta, will do.

Grunff

phil wrote:

Yup, as far as I can tell (the pipe only travels about 20 feet, but it
may be going under the tarmac drive for about half of that so hard to
be sure). Surely though I'd smell it if it was leaking, even if it was
under the tarmac?

I wouldn't count on smelling it.

I think what I'd do is take a really good look around the tank, and if
all looks well, just keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. If
it drops another inch, you have a leak.

--
Grunff

John

"Grunff" wrote in message
phil wrote:
Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

YES but there is usually a good reason which becomes obvious on looking

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke.
You'd know about it.

Or the baffles (retarders) have become dislodged and the heat is going
straight out of the boiler.
NO-one has been working on it lately have they?
What size is your tank and have you worked out what an inch or 2.5cm
variation of level means in terms of volume?

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

Most likely a combination of settling and temperature - oil contracts a
lot as it gets colder.

A possibility but the oil is unlikely to have been "that" warm

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

Possibly, have you traced the route of the oil pipe, looking for signs
of a leak?

If the leak is underground it might simply collect under a membrane or a
sealed surface such as compacted tarmac. With tarmac you may find it appears
much later and destroys the tarmac around the leak:-(

Whatever you do don't involve the EA unneccessarily unless you want to watch
a group of clowns in big wellies remove vast quantities of ground and
transport it away at (your) vast expense when all that is required is to
allow it (the kerosine) to evaporate as it will do from wherever they dump
it. Now if you are near a borehole or controlled water source its a
different matter.

Try turning off the boiler, marking the level of the sight gauge, If the
tank isolation valve is between tank and the gauge you can shut it and any
loss will be obvious within a short period as the gauge level will drop
faily quickly. I'm assuming you may have a standard configuration with tank
outlet valve followed by sight tube, filter and supply pipe to boiler in
that order.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:17:19 GMT, phil wrote:

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down
an inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

That would be normal for us over a week at this time of year.

Temperature and air in the oil will affect the volume. Remember it's
been sploshed into the tank from the delivery hose. I've noticed a
similar effect just after a delivery. I hope the air is introduced
after the meter...

The shape of the tank will also affect how fast the level drops even
for the same consumption. Most plastic tanks are narrower at the top
and bottom than the middle.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be
able to smell oil if that was the case?

Possibly not depending on where a leak is. I'd monitor it for the next
few days. If it continues to fall at that rate start to panic you
don't want to be wasting the stuff at current prices. Out of interest
what did you pay?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Peter Scott

"phil" wrote in message
Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
......... this is NOT normal!

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

all advice welcome.

Thanks

Its pretty certain you would smell a leak unless deep underground. If the
boiler starts to burn inefficiently you would smell unburned fuel coming out
of the chimney and would probably see blackening around the mouth of the
chimney. When its calm have a good sniff. Most likely there's an earwig in
the gauge pipe almost blocking it. They seem to love the stuff!

Peter Scott

Badger

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

Its pretty certain you would smell a leak unless deep underground. If the
boiler starts to burn inefficiently you would smell unburned fuel coming out
of the chimney and would probably see blackening around the mouth of the
chimney. When its calm have a good sniff. Most likely there's an earwig in
the gauge pipe almost blocking it. They seem to love the stuff!

Peter Scott

If you suspect a leak do something about it immediately, a rotten tank
lost 200 ltrs locally recently, last reports were costs over 1,000,000
pounds are likely to be involved in just tracing where the oil has gone,
water co. cannot drill deep enough, let alone the recovery of the oil
and loss of fresh water supplies due to contamination....