Michael Chare

"Grunff" wrote in message
phil wrote:
Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke.
You'd know about it.

Is there a vent or filler pipe on the top of the tank where you can use a stick
to dip the tank?

The problem with the indicator tubes is that it is quite possible for the
connection to tank to get bunged up.
(in my limited experience)

You should also check the tank itself for leaks especially if it is a rusty old
steel one.

With the price of oil as it is.....

--

Michael Chare