phil

Default Boiler query (oil burning)

Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that
it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an
inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is
just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*,
but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able
to smell oil if that was the case?

all advice welcome.

Thanks