Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:17:19 GMT, phil wrote:

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on
the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since
yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down
an inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks
.......... this is NOT normal!

That would be normal for us over a week at this time of year.

Temperature and air in the oil will affect the volume. Remember it's
been sploshed into the tank from the delivery hose. I've noticed a
similar effect just after a delivery. I hope the air is introduced
after the meter...

The shape of the tank will also affect how fast the level drops even
for the same consumption. Most plastic tanks are narrower at the top
and bottom than the middle.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either
from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be
able to smell oil if that was the case?

Possibly not depending on where a leak is. I'd monitor it for the next
few days. If it continues to fall at that rate start to panic you
don't want to be wasting the stuff at current prices. Out of interest
what did you pay?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail