james

Default re paving - real stone or concrete imitation...?

still hoping that there is someone here who can help me with some
current wisdom on the pros & cons of real stone vs. concrete imitation
paving...?!
Neil Jones

"james" wrote in message
om...
still hoping that there is someone here who can help me with some
current wisdom on the pros & cons of real stone vs. concrete imitation
paving...?!

I'm looking at paving a terrace of about 60 sq m, probably next month.
We have considered a number of the stone-alike cast concrete flags from
Marshalls, Brett, et al.

We decided that the most appropriate concrete product was Marshall's
Chancery which comes in at an undiscounted price from BuilderCenter at
about £34 per sq m + installation (bedding etc.)

We then went along to a local stone merchant, where they have imported
sandstone for about £17 per sq m. You might argue that it's immoral to
use a stone which has been quarried in India and then shipped
expensively around the world just so I can put my table and chairs on
it, but when it's half the price of the best immitation, it's no
contest.

As usual, www.pavingexpert.com is the place for installation details and
links to local companies who can show you what's on offer.

Hope this helps

Neil

andrewpreece

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"james" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I considered using imitation stone products, but I eventually went for
a 'nothing fake' philosophy and went for real stone. It's more expensive,
and more difficult to use, but it has the advantage that it will always look
good however much it wears, whereas I notice that concrete prodcts look at
first,
but any imitation 'stone' profiling will eventually wear smooth, also the
aggregate in the cement product ( which you can see if you look at the
bottom of any imitation stone product ) will appear as the cement isworn
away. Just my opinon, go for stone if you can,

Andy.

N. Thornton

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
"Neil Jones" wrote in message
"james" wrote in message

[...]

I agree that concrete is a second rate substitute. I was surprised at
the £34 sqm figure, I just assumed if you needed to economise with
concrete youd use a mould and pour your own for closer to £1 sqm. If
economy isnt the issue then stone is going to be clearly the better
choice.

BTW will sandstone withstand saturation and repeated freezing? I
thought it was quite porous stuff, and one of the softest stones.

Youve looked at granolithic concrete too? I dont know what it costs
but saw it in one building and it looked lovely.

Regards, NT
Zymurgy

"andrewpreece" wrote
"Neil Jones" wrote
"james" wrote
still hoping that there is someone here who can help me with some
current wisdom on the pros & cons of real stone vs. concrete imitation
paving...?!

I'm looking at paving a terrace of about 60 sq m, probably next month.
We have considered a number of the stone-alike cast concrete flags from
Marshalls, Brett, et al.

Another alternative I saw on one of the makeover shows was a moulded
pattern pressed into the concrete. A colour powder was thrown over to
colour it (obviously !) and act as a mould release agent.

Not really my taste, but certainly an alternative for a large area ...

Cheers

Paul.

Jerry Built

"N. Thornton" wrote:
BTW will sandstone withstand saturation and repeated freezing? I
thought it was quite porous stuff, and one of the softest stones.

There are many sorts of sandstones, as there are bricks! It can
be friable and permeable, or otherwise.

J.B.
james

thanks for this info

interesting that you are expecting a 50% cost saving on materials
using this stone compared with the readymade moulded concrete version,
but on the pavingexpert.com site i'd noticed it said "...stone paving
is considerably more expensive than the concrete alternatives..."
(http://www.pavingexpert.com/york01.htm)

imported sandstone for about £17 per sq m.

incidentally, how thick is the stone at this price?

You might argue that it's immoral to use a stone which has been quarried in
India and then shipped expensively around the world

(yeah, talking of which, my guess is that the pay & working conditions
of the labourers who quarry that stone in India are worse than
atrocious...)
Neil Jones

"james" wrote in message
om...
thanks for this info

interesting that you are expecting a 50% cost saving on materials
using this stone compared with the readymade moulded concrete version,
but on the pavingexpert.com site i'd noticed it said "...stone paving
is considerably more expensive than the concrete alternatives..."
(http://www.pavingexpert.com/york01.htm)

Yes - it probably is if you compare real York stone (ie from Yorkshire)
with some of the concrete products. I was comparing the top of the range
concrete (Chancery). Incidentally, Marshall's own real stone products
(Haworth Moor) are also slightly cheaper than Chancery. It's imported
stone too, of course, although they try to disguise it with the name...

imported sandstone for about £17 per sq m.

incidentally, how thick is the stone at this price?

nominally 35mm, but it varies between 30 and 45.

You might argue that it's immoral to use a stone which has been

quarried in
India and then shipped expensively around the world

(yeah, talking of which, my guess is that the pay & working conditions
of the labourers who quarry that stone in India are worse than
atrocious...)

Yes, well, on the other hand, if we didn't buy it they wouldn't have a
market, or a job...

Neil Jones

BTW will sandstone withstand saturation and repeated freezing? I
thought it was quite porous stuff, and one of the softest stones.

Not all sandstones are created equal, as I understand it. York stone has
been used for paving for hundreds of years and is still working OK.

I believe some stones are subject to delimination when subject to the
freeze-thaw cycle, but if you go to a reputable supplier you should get
something which will last OK.

Neil

N. Thornton

"Neil Jones" wrote in message ...
"james" wrote in message
om...

interesting that you are expecting a 50% cost saving on materials
using this stone compared with the readymade moulded concrete version,
but on the pavingexpert.com site i'd noticed it said "...stone paving
is considerably more expensive than the concrete alternatives..."
(http://www.pavingexpert.com/york01.htm)

Yes - it probably is if you compare real York stone (ie from Yorkshire)
with some of the concrete products. I was comparing the top of the range
concrete (Chancery). Incidentally, Marshall's own real stone products
(Haworth Moor) are also slightly cheaper than Chancery. It's imported
stone too, of course, although they try to disguise it with the name...

imported sandstone for about £17 per sq m.

I just dont understand why the OP would consider paying twice the
price of stone for inferior concrete.

Regards, NT

down the garden path part 2: paving - real stone or concrete imitation...? james UK diy 0 March 28th 04 03:20 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:06 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM