andrewpreece

Default re paving - real stone or concrete imitation...?

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"james" wrote in message
om...
still hoping that there is someone here who can help me with some
current wisdom on the pros & cons of real stone vs. concrete imitation
paving...?!

I'm looking at paving a terrace of about 60 sq m, probably next month.
We have considered a number of the stone-alike cast concrete flags from
Marshalls, Brett, et al.

We decided that the most appropriate concrete product was Marshall's
Chancery which comes in at an undiscounted price from BuilderCenter at
about £34 per sq m + installation (bedding etc.)

We then went along to a local stone merchant, where they have imported
sandstone for about £17 per sq m. You might argue that it's immoral to
use a stone which has been quarried in India and then shipped
expensively around the world just so I can put my table and chairs on
it, but when it's half the price of the best immitation, it's no
contest.

As usual, www.pavingexpert.com is the place for installation details and
links to local companies who can show you what's on offer.

Hope this helps

Neil

I considered using imitation stone products, but I eventually went for
a 'nothing fake' philosophy and went for real stone. It's more expensive,
and more difficult to use, but it has the advantage that it will always look
good however much it wears, whereas I notice that concrete prodcts look at
first,
but any imitation 'stone' profiling will eventually wear smooth, also the
aggregate in the cement product ( which you can see if you look at the
bottom of any imitation stone product ) will appear as the cement isworn
away. Just my opinon, go for stone if you can,

Andy.