Hugo Nebula

Default Conducting paste

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
The Natural Philosopher

Hugo Nebula wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Cobducting paste is paste that conducts.

Silicone grease, possibly loaded with a conductive powder.
Why not?
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:57:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the
same as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use
the stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Cobducting paste is paste that conducts.

Conducts what, heat or electricity?

My first reading of the OP rang the electricity bell and too many
variables bell. But I see it could be thermal in which case the white
goopy thermal grease as used for processor to heatsink interfaces is
probably OK, though a boiler may well get significantly hotter.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Set Square

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

It's probably very similar stuff. My only concern would be temperature
stability - since boilers get somewhat hotter (maybe not all that much?)
than computer processors. Clearly, you don't want something which runs out
when it gets hot!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:57:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the
same as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use
the stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Cobducting paste is paste that conducts.

Conducts what, heat or electricity?

My first reading of the OP rang the electricity bell and too many
variables bell. But I see it could be thermal in which case the white
goopy thermal grease as used for processor to heatsink interfaces is
probably OK, though a boiler may well get significantly hotter.

I am not even sure that is true: semiconductors operate well over 100C,
and its unlikely that a boiler water temp sensor is going to go much
over 100C.

Or is it some other sensor in the combustion area?

Malc

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote in message . ..
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

I don't see why not.

--
MAlc
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:57:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not even sure that is true: semiconductors operate well over
100C, ...

Mil spec ceramic packaged probably but your run of the mill plastic
packaged stuff generally maxes out at around 80C.

Quick google and unverified:

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

Shows that only AMD Athlon and Duron have max working temps in the 90C
range, most other vary from 60C to 85C.

... and its unlikely that a boiler water temp sensor is going to go
much over 100C.

That really depends on the position of the sensor and the constuction
of the boiler. Even without being in the combustion area the surface
of the heat exchanger may well get 100C.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

G&M

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

If you mean the white runny paste - no. It begins to break down at about 90
deg C.
If you mean the green sticky stuff (silver loaded epoxy) this is good to
over 180 deg C

raden

In message , G&M
writes

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
.. .
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

If you mean the white runny paste - no. It begins to break down at about 90
deg C.
If you mean the green sticky stuff (silver loaded epoxy) this is good to
over 180 deg C

Silver loaded epoxy - great idea

Are you going to drill the bugger out when it fails ?

Use normal heatsink compound, a couple of quid a tube from the usual
electronic suppliers

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info

--
geoff
G&M

"raden" wrote in message
In message , G&M
writes

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
.. .
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

If you mean the white runny paste - no. It begins to break down at about

90
deg C.
If you mean the green sticky stuff (silver loaded epoxy) this is good to
over 180 deg C

Silver loaded epoxy - great idea

Are you going to drill the bugger out when it fails ?

You scrape it off. The silver particles mean it isn't as strongly bonded as
a normal epoxy. Used in most very high temperature electronic systems -
military and so on.

Use normal heatsink compound, a couple of quid a tube from the usual
electronic suppliers

It will fail at this temperature.

Pete C

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Hi,

Superglue is fairly heatproof, something similar is used for shuttle
tiles.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:40:11 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Hi,

Superglue is fairly heatproof, something similar is used for shuttle
tiles.

cheers,
Pete.

So are you saying (in the light of what happened with those) that this
is a good solution?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Quick glance at the Maplin cat shows their heat conducting compound
as you'd use on a heatsink good to 200C

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
G&M

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
I am not even sure that is true: semiconductors operate well over 100C,

This used to be true of military grade parts. It is still true of a
lot of discrete devices and less complex ICs, but not the
multi-million transistor devices you find on a PC motherboard. Most of
these are limited to a junction temperature of around 85 deg C.

And getting lower. With smaller device geometries (90nm, 65nm and 40 nm
coming) the leakage at high temperatures becomes so high it isn't worth
using the device as it consumes more power for the same function than an
older part.

Pete C

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:12:15 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Superglue is fairly heatproof, something similar is used for shuttle
tiles.

So are you saying (in the light of what happened with those) that this
is a good solution?

Is your boiler capable of being launched into orbit, conducting
experiments or launching satellites, and returning to earth in a high
temperature re-entry? Knowing you I wouldn't be suprised ;^)

cheers,
Pete.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Superglue is fairly heatproof, something similar is used for shuttle
tiles.

So are you saying (in the light of what happened with those) that this
is a good solution?

Is your boiler capable of being launched into orbit, conducting
experiments or launching satellites, and returning to earth in a high
temperature re-entry? Knowing you I wouldn't be suprised ;^)

Definitely, but that's another story :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
:::Jerry::::

"Pete C" wrote in message
news snip

Is your boiler capable of being launched into orbit, conducting
experiments or launching satellites, and returning to earth in a high
temperature re-entry? Knowing you I wouldn't be suprised ;^)

It would be after being installed by 'IMM', well at least being launched
into orbit !.. :~)

:::Jerry::::

"Pete C" wrote in message
Quick question; is conducting paste for a boiler thermistor the same
as that used for computer processors? Or at least could I use the
stuff for PCs in a boiler?

Hi,

Superglue is fairly heatproof, something similar is used for shuttle
tiles.

Err, but doesn't the said tiles (when present...) stop the heat being
transferred to the structure ?....

Owain

":::Jerry::::" wrote
| "Pete C" wrote
| Is your boiler capable of being launched into orbit,
| conducting experiments or launching satellites, and
| returning to earth in a high temperature re-entry?
| Knowing you I wouldn't be suprised ;^)
| It would be after being installed by 'IMM', well at
| least being launched into orbit !.. :~)

This is where having two combi boilers comes in handy. With two boilers with
the flues as steering thrusters you can modulate the boilers individually,
thus achieving directionality. With a two-channel microcontroller you can
synchronise the boiler operations to have the pair elegantly tangoing their
way around the planets.

A solution most eminent in its winfulness.

Owain

Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| Quick glance at the Maplin cat shows their heat conducting
| compound as you'd use on a heatsink good to 200C

But is that deg C music power or deg C rms? :-)

Owain

Owain

"MBQ" wrote
| With the explosion of electronic content in cars,

An unfortunate turn of phrase, or occurrence.

Owain

What paste wax for table saw top? Billy Smith Woodworking 35 October 17th 04 05:55 PM
Pickling Paste on stainless steel: WHITE HAZE WON'T COME OFF RainLover Metalworking 18 September 6th 04 03:23 PM
conducting glue (keyboard tape repair) Pszemol Electronics Repair 7 February 4th 04 08:16 PM
Bees wax paste Kip055 Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 12:25 AM
Use paste wax (only) on fir floor? GotOuttaIdaho Home Repair 9 January 25th 04 07:05 PM