GB

Default Bathroom shaver point adapter

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w. So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there 4 way
sockets around?

Geoff

EricP

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:41:13 +0000 (UTC), "GB"
wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w. So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there 4 way
sockets around?

Geoff

Only thing I can find is that huge BS approved box for £29. I will
therefore watch the results of this post with some interest!

GB

wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w.

So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there 4

way
sockets around?

Geoff

Only thing I can find is that huge BS approved box for £29. I will
therefore watch the results of this post with some interest!

You're ahead of me then - where do you find that?

Peter Stockdale

wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are

all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w.

So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom

shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there

4
way
sockets around?

Geoff

Only thing I can find is that huge BS approved box for £29. I will
therefore watch the results of this post with some interest!

You're ahead of me then - where do you find that?

I came across a similar dilemma - no adaptor seemed readily available -
solved the problem by fitting additional sockets.
Regards,
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

GB

wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w.

So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there 4

way
sockets around?

Geoff

Only thing I can find is that huge BS approved box for £29. I will
therefore watch the results of this post with some interest!

It just occurs to me why you might not be allowed to have more than one item
connected to a shaver socket. Suppose, unlikely as it sounds, that item 1
fails so that the 'live' wire touches the case whilst item 2 fails whilst
the 'neutral' wire is doing likewise, then you could touch both and not be
protected by the transformer. Hence you need a separate transfromer for each
socket.

You mentioned a huge box, that's probably why it's huge. How huge, and where
do I get one?

EricP

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:07:44 +0000 (UTC), "GB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge. Total current
consumption is tiny - the electric toothbrush chargers are rated at 2w.

So,
where do I find a 4-way adapter that I can plug into the bathroom shaver
socket? I guess it needs to be shuttered, etc. Failing that, are there 4

way
sockets around?

Geoff

Only thing I can find is that huge BS approved box for £29. I will
therefore watch the results of this post with some interest!

You're ahead of me then - where do you find that?

Just Google for "shaver socket" in "UK" and they appear or the
Screwfix catalogue, if you can get in it. Like this but I am not sure
about bathroom approval.
http://shopping.hotbot.co.uk/6998en77685.html

My wife also found this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCHDR50SS.html

which appeals to her, and shuts up the "Where's the hair dryer gone"
as it's bolted to the wall.

Could any sparks have a look and say if it looks legal, even though it
says so. It does not have any BS number as far as I can see.

GB

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

So you don't fancy my idea of sticking four 13A shaver adapters in a 4-
way socket strip, and fitting a shaver plug to plug it in to the
existing socket?

You forgot to add the smiley. There, that's better.

Mike Clarke

In article , Peter Stockdale
wrote:

It would also be nice to get one that did not have the 110v. option.
Presumably this could be produced cheaper and could be smaller

Probably wouldn't make much difference, the 110v socket will just be fed
from a centre tap in the transformer secondary so you're only saving on
the cost of the second socket. The transformer would be the same size
and probably governs the overall size of the unit.

--
Mike Clarke
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Peter Stockdale
wrote:

It would also be nice to get one that did not have the 110v. option.
Presumably this could be produced cheaper and could be smaller

Probably wouldn't make much difference, the 110v socket will just be fed
from a centre tap in the transformer secondary so you're only saving on
the cost of the second socket. The transformer would be the same size
and probably governs the overall size of the unit.

--
Mike Clarke

Sorry Mike, you have me lost here.
Why would a transformer be needed for a 240v. toothbrush charger or a 240v.
razor ?
Surely the only "transforming" necessary is to cope with the 110v.
situation.

Pete

Joe

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

wrote:

It would also be nice to get one that did not have the 110v. option.
Presumably this could be produced cheaper and could be smaller

Probably wouldn't make much difference, the 110v socket will just be fed
from a centre tap in the transformer secondary so you're only saving on
the cost of the second socket. The transformer would be the same size
and probably governs the overall size of the unit.

--
Mike Clarke

Sorry Mike, you have me lost here.
Why would a transformer be needed for a 240v. toothbrush charger or a 240v.
razor ?
Surely the only "transforming" necessary is to cope with the 110v.
situation.

Isolation from the mains. The secondary is floating and cannot source
more than a few microamps of current if you touch either wire, even if
you are well earthed. Of course, if you touch both...

The same reason as isolation transformers are used for power tools
outdoors. Yes, you can use circuit breakers of various types, but an
isolation transformer can't go wrong.
--
Joe
Peter Stockdale

"Joe" wrote in message
In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the clarification of the transformer function in this
application, Joe.
However it seems that we are no nearer to finding a socket that will allow
more than two appliances(assuming that the 240v and the 110v are both
available out of the same unit at the same time) for multipurpose use.

Pete

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Peter Stockdale" writes:

Thanks for the clarification of the transformer function in this
application, Joe.
However it seems that we are no nearer to finding a socket that will allow
more than two appliances(assuming that the 240v and the 110v are both
available out of the same unit at the same time) for multipurpose use.

I think they either normally share one pin, or the shutters
operate such that only one can be used.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
GB wrote:
It just occurs to me why you might not be allowed to have more than one
item connected to a shaver socket. Suppose, unlikely as it sounds, that
item 1 fails so that the 'live' wire touches the case whilst item 2
fails whilst the 'neutral' wire is doing likewise, then you could touch
both and not be protected by the transformer. Hence you need a separate
transfromer for each socket.

Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives, then it
must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard practice in the
days when they were used in TV for musical instruments and there was a
very real danger of this occurring with cheap guitar amps etc.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Stockdale wrote:
It would also be nice to get one that did not have the 110v. option.
Presumably this could be produced cheaper and could be smaller, and is
not much use in the u.k. unless you have hoards of foreign visitors
cluttering the bathroom with their gadgetry !

It's only another tapping on the transformer and I doubt it would save
much in cost or size.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Chris J Dixon

GB wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge.

Surely, unless the batteries are well past their best, you should
not need to charge them all at the same time?

As a backup, just get a 13A 2-pin adaptor and you can top up in
the nearest bedroom, or even on the landing

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Peter Stockdale

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Stockdale" writes:

Thanks for the clarification of the transformer function in this
application, Joe.
However it seems that we are no nearer to finding a socket that will

allow
more than two appliances(assuming that the 240v and the 110v are both
available out of the same unit at the same time) for multipurpose use.

I think they either normally share one pin, or the shutters
operate such that only one can be used.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Yup - on a check with my two, only one thing per socket as there are only
three pin holes.

So it seems that we have totally failed to solve the o.p. question, except
by suggesting the installation of a separate unit for each appliance.

Pete

Mike Clarke

In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:

GB wrote:

Bathroom shaver point adapter needed:

We now have 3 electric toothbrushes and an electric shaver. These are all
battery powered, but they need to be left on charge.

Surely, unless the batteries are well past their best, you should not
need to charge them all at the same time?

As a backup, just get a 13A 2-pin adaptor and you can top up in the
nearest bedroom, or even on the landing

And keep & use the electric shaver in the bedroom.

--
Mike Clarke
Peter Stockdale

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives, then it
must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard practice in the
days when they were used in TV for musical instruments and there was a
very real danger of this occurring with cheap guitar amps etc.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Point taken, but why can't an enterprising manufacturer come up with a two,
three or even four transformer unit.

Pete

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Stockdale wrote:
Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives,
then it must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard
practice in the days when they were used in TV for musical instruments
and there was a very real danger of this occurring with cheap guitar
amps etc.

Point taken, but why can't an enterprising manufacturer come up with a
two, three or even four transformer unit.

You'd have to ask them. Cost would be a major factor. And the size - it
couldn't possibly fit in a standard box.

However, if you think you're on to a money spinner, start making them.
Others make money out of bright ideas.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Peter Stockdale

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

You'd have to ask them. Cost would be a major factor. And the size - it
couldn't possibly fit in a standard box.

However, if you think you're on to a money spinner, start making them.
Others make money out of bright ideas.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sorry -my status "retired" - quite happy to see someone else benefit from
the market gap in this field.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Buxnot

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
It just occurs to me why you might not be allowed to have more than
one item connected to a shaver socket. Suppose, unlikely as it
sounds, that item 1 fails so that the 'live' wire touches the case
whilst item 2 fails whilst the 'neutral' wire is doing likewise,
then you could touch both and not be protected by the transformer.
Hence you need a separate transfromer for each socket.

Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives,
then it must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard
practice in the days when they were used in TV for musical
instruments and there was a very real danger of this occurring with
cheap guitar amps etc.

I've missed the point on this somehow.

How would being able to touch both the live and the neutral suddenly be
as bad as if the transformer were not there and you did likewise?

Joe

In message , Buxnot
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
It just occurs to me why you might not be allowed to have more than
one item connected to a shaver socket. Suppose, unlikely as it
sounds, that item 1 fails so that the 'live' wire touches the case
whilst item 2 fails whilst the 'neutral' wire is doing likewise,
then you could touch both and not be protected by the transformer.
Hence you need a separate transfromer for each socket.

Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives,
then it must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard
practice in the days when they were used in TV for musical
instruments and there was a very real danger of this occurring with
cheap guitar amps etc.

I've missed the point on this somehow.

How would being able to touch both the live and the neutral suddenly be
as bad as if the transformer were not there and you did likewise?

Because you receive the full mains voltage. An isolation transformer
does not change that. The point of an isolation transformer is that
neither side is 'live' any more, you could touch either side safely. You
can't touch both sides simultaneously safely.

The 'one item only' rule assumes the worst: that one appliance has
failed live-to-case and the other neutral-to-case.
--
Joe
Peter Stockdale

"Buxnot" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
It just occurs to me why you might not be allowed to have more than
one item connected to a shaver socket. Suppose, unlikely as it
sounds, that item 1 fails so that the 'live' wire touches the case
whilst item 2 fails whilst the 'neutral' wire is doing likewise,
then you could touch both and not be protected by the transformer.
Hence you need a separate transfromer for each socket.

Absolutely. If you want the safety an isolation transformer gives,
then it must be restricted to one device per transformer. Standard
practice in the days when they were used in TV for musical
instruments and there was a very real danger of this occurring with
cheap guitar amps etc.

I've missed the point on this somehow.

How would being able to touch both the live and the neutral suddenly be
as bad as if the transformer were not there and you did likewise?

Presumably because the transfomer is acting in this case as a current
reducer and it is the mains current that kills - not the mains voltage.
My sheep fencing pushes out 4000volts but the current is so low that no
injury is caused.

Regards,
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Capitol

Various wrote
etc.

You can get away with using a 240v and a 110v appliance simultaneously
on a number of shaver sockets. Shavers tend to work off 110v anyway,
particularly if the power is used only for battery recharging. That way
you would only need two units installed.

Any good?

Regards
Capitol
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Stockdale wrote:
Presumably because the transfomer is acting in this case as a current
reducer and it is the mains current that kills - not the mains voltage.

Not so. I'm afraid. There is more than enough current available from a
shaver socket to kill you.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Alistair Riddell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Joe wrote:

The same reason as isolation transformers are used for power tools outdoors.
Yes, you can use circuit breakers of various types, but an isolation
transformer can't go wrong.

But if it DOES go wrong... There is potentially 480 volts available if one
side of the floating secondary contacts the live side of of the mains....

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us
Dave Plowman (News)

In article k,
Alistair Riddell wrote:
The same reason as isolation transformers are used for power tools
outdoors. Yes, you can use circuit breakers of various types, but an
isolation transformer can't go wrong.

But if it DOES go wrong... There is potentially 480 volts available if
one side of the floating secondary contacts the live side of of the
mains....

This assumes any such fault to have the secondary winding in phase with
the primary.

And good design of the system as a whole should make this near impossible.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *