Colin Wilson

Default toilets / soil pipe position / measurements

Can anyone give me an idea of the typical measurements of an install
where the soil pipe is embedded in concrete in the floor - ie. what the
normal distance away from a wall the centre of the soil pipe would be ?

We need to replace the bathroom suite, and i`m not entirely sure what
options might be available to us - the soil pipe outlet is ~26-27cm from
the back wall, and 29cm from a wall to the right hand side.

I know you can get the "?"shaped adaptors so the pan could sit a little
further back than if it was on a normal 90 degree bend (what distance
would a 90 degree bend add to the position of the loo relative to the
wall ?), and I know if we went for a close coupled suite we`d probably
have to make a false wall in an already small bathroom... I know you can
get hidden cisterns, but again, with the soil pipe being so far out, i`m
not sure if i`d still need to build a unit rather than simply buying one
already housed in a pretty cupboard :-}

Just to complicate matters, the soil pipe also has a fairly large collar
with three smaller possible outlets where the bath and sink currently
drain in to (its quite large and ugly, and sits a good 3" proud of the
surface of the floor). I`m not sure if these could be realistically piped
elsewhere (shared passageway with "rules" about what can go in there, and
the soil pipe goes straight out to a shared grid type thing).

At a push, there`s guttering from a flat roof for the extension that
leads to a drain which i`m sure goes into the same grid thing :-} - does
it sound feasible that I could run a seperate waste for a sink / bath to
that ? (very dodgy ascii artwork follows :-p )

The passage is only about 3'6" wide, so not much room there either

_______________________________________
^ |________________________
______ |
|drain | neighbours extension wall
|cover |
|______|
gutter outlet ________________________
___O___________________________________|
| | | main house (passage narrows)
| bath sink ooo | |
| O | |
| soil pipe

Richard Sterry

Colin Wilson wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea of the typical measurements of an install
where the soil pipe is embedded in concrete in the floor - ie. what the
normal distance away from a wall the centre of the soil pipe would be ?
[snip]

I cannot help you with your main query, but here's a little tip - make sure
the toilet is positioned so that the seat stays up when you lift it. This is
not the case in our main bathroom, and it drives me crazy!

Rick

Andy Hall

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:36:35 -0000, "Richard Sterry"
wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea of the typical measurements of an install
where the soil pipe is embedded in concrete in the floor - ie. what the
normal distance away from a wall the centre of the soil pipe would be ?
[snip]

I cannot help you with your main query, but here's a little tip - make sure
the toilet is positioned so that the seat stays up when you lift it. This is
not the case in our main bathroom, and it drives me crazy!

Rick

The design has to have been done deliberately by a woman..... :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Peter Taylor

Colin Wilson wrote

Can anyone give me an idea of the typical measurements of an install
where the soil pipe is embedded in concrete in the floor - ie. what the
normal distance away from a wall the centre of the soil pipe would be ?

There's no standard dimension Colin. The average is about 200mm off the back
wall, so you'll have a bit to make up, using a ? connector or maybe a board or
copper pipe spacers behind the cistern. Use a low level suite with a flush pipe
(ie not close coupled) as this allows more adjustment, but I agree with Rick you
should consider the toilet seat. You may find yours will lean back a long way.

Most manufacturers put dimensions on their website if you know where to look -
usually under "trade" or "specifier" etc. This is an example of a low level
suite from the Twyfords website:
http://www.twyfordbathrooms.com/twy_.../ChantalLL.htm

I'm a bit worried about the sideways measurement. 29cm is far too small - you
wont be able to sit down! ) 40cm is the basic minimum and 50cm is
comfortable. This needs checking maybe?

HTH
Peter

Colin Wilson

I'm a bit worried about the sideways measurement. 29cm is far too small - you
wont be able to sit down! ) 40cm is the basic minimum and 50cm is
comfortable. This needs checking maybe?

Sadly, its accurate as far as the current layout goes, and yes, you can`t
spread your legs too far when seated :-}

James Hart

Colin Wilson wrote:
I'm a bit worried about the sideways measurement. 29cm is far too
small - you wont be able to sit down! ) 40cm is the basic
minimum and 50cm is comfortable. This needs checking maybe?

Sadly, its accurate as far as the current layout goes, and yes, you
can`t spread your legs too far when seated :-}

That's the problem in my bathroom as well, bog's in the corner so your left
knee is up against the radiator unless you sit at an angle. I've got wall -
bog - sink - bath - wall, when I redo the bathroom I intend to swap
positions between the bog and the sink, a sink tight to the wall wouldn't be
a big problem (student house was laid out like that) and that would then let
me move the pan into the middle of the wall and a slimline cistern would let
me move it back as well.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
WC soil pipe in loft [email protected] UK diy 13 November 15th 03 05:28 PM
WC soil Pipe hays UK diy 17 October 30th 03 05:21 PM
Soil pipe connection Neil D. UK diy 2 September 15th 03 11:11 PM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM