Sean

Default Pop-up power sockets for kitchen island - Is there such a thing?

I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.
Regards
Sean
Ian Stirling

Sean wrote:
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Floor sockets?
Recess an extra 5mm, put a bit of worktop stuff on them?

RCD!!!
:::Jerry::::

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Sean wrote:
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Floor sockets?
Recess an extra 5mm, put a bit of worktop stuff on them?

That wouldn't work, think about were the hinge is....

RCD!!!

To bloody right, and place them on their own radial circuit so when the
inevitable, water induced, short circuit happens it doesn't take loads of
other stuff with it....

Perhaps a better idea would be to place the sockets on the side of the
kitchen island.

Ian Stirling

Sean wrote:
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Floor sockets?
Recess an extra 5mm, put a bit of worktop stuff on them?

That wouldn't work, think about were the hinge is....

On the one floor socket I saw 'in the flesh', the hinge was designed so
that this would work.
Seemingly to make the plug able to sit nearly flush with the edge of the
socket, and reduce the overall height. Err, length.

RCD!!!

I'd agree that the most sensible thing is probably a socket on the vertical.
Or perhaps even underside of the worktops?
Lee

Sean wrote:
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.
Regards
Sean

Given the potential for spills etc, wouldn't it be more sensible to
consider a LV option?
Think I'd use a 12v transformer with an aircraft or car power socket and
the appropriate laptop lead.
Sure I've seen at least one of those in a "pop up" form...

Won't stop damage to the laptop if there is a spill, but may prevent
damage to the user ;p

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Tim Nicholson

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:36:03 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

To bloody right, and place them on their own radial circuit so when the
inevitable, water induced, short circuit happens it doesn't take loads of
other stuff with it....

Perhaps a better idea would be to place the sockets on the side of the
kitchen island.

That's what I did.........

Tim

John Rumm

Ian Stirling wrote:

I'd agree that the most sensible thing is probably a socket on the vertical.
Or perhaps even underside of the worktops?

If the worktop overhangs the edge of the base unit (as is common on
island units that you can sit at), one of those angled sockets designed
for under unit fitting in kitchens might be good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ets/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

G&M

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Obtain a second laptop PSU and wire this inside the cabinet out of harms
way, then run the cable to a small surface mounting connector of the same
type from RS or Maplin. Low voltage, isolated and doesn't need protection.
Remember to buy the cable from the new socket to the laptop at the same
time.

Richard Porter

On 12 Oct 2004 "G&M" wrote:

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Obtain a second laptop PSU and wire this inside the cabinet out of harms
way, then run the cable to a small surface mounting connector of the same
type from RS or Maplin. Low voltage, isolated and doesn't need protection.
Remember to buy the cable from the new socket to the laptop at the same
time.

I haven't seen any pop-up sockets but there are various recessed
sockets for desks, etc., and sockets with flaps designed to be used on
the floor. I have some rescued ones in the workshop, though the floor
ones aren't fit to be used anywhere else. You could always have a flush
socket and keep one of those nylon dummy thingies in it when it's out of
use so it doesn't get filled up with toast crumbs.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com
Sean

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Ian Stirling wrote:

I'd agree that the most sensible thing is probably a socket on the vertical.
Or perhaps even underside of the worktops?

If the worktop overhangs the edge of the base unit (as is common on
island units that you can sit at), one of those angled sockets designed
for under unit fitting in kitchens might be good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ets/index.html

Never thought of that John ..thanks that would work. Any idea of the company who makes these. I would like to know if they plan to do RJ45 sockets as I would like to wire it if possible

Sean

Peter D

Sean wrote:
I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting
into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there
which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when
required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product?
Haven't been able to find anything yet.
Regards
Sean

it would be quite cool to have a inductive loop under the work top and a
corresponding pad placed under the laptop (like a scalled up electric
toothbrush charger).

The laptop i've got here is rated at 3.5 amps @ 16v DC. How do you go
about guestimating the size of the coils?

no exposed wireds, but is there a cancer risk??