Arthur

Default LIDl SDS Drill

Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Andy Hall

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:34:11 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

There's a bunch of missing information in the advertisement.

They quote a power input and not a power output. This is meaningless
because differing motor efficiencies result in widely differing output
powers. Low cost tools are not renowned for having good motor
efficiency.

There is no mention of the weight. Typically, entry level SDS
machines are quite heavy. That's fine if it's what you want, but a
4kg SDS drill without good motor power is going to be a pain.

They have been factual, but misleading about the price differential.
You can get one of the mentioned Bosch drills for about £100.

When budgetting for this type of tool, consider it to have a lifetime
equal to the warranty. It is unlikely that there are repair
facilities or spares.
A £50 price point is above that for the real entry level which could
be argued to be disposable and quite close to getting something a lot
better.

One can get a Bosch PBH2200RE for £90 or a Bosch Professional
GBH2-20SRE for £80.

If you want something rather better for lots of work, then there are a
whole bunch at just over £100.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

Arthur wrote:
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

I'd say given the importance of decent tolerances in an sds, if you're
going to spend £50, might as well spend £90 and get a pro machine from a
known manufacturer (e.g. 500W blue Bosch), or a little bit more and get
a DeWalt.

--
Grunff
JA

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Got an SDS Drill from Scewfix the other week £29.99, cheaper than hiring
one, selection of bits were another £17.99. Have only used it for drilling
16 14mm holes in concrete, but it worked fine.

Ash

John Rumm

JA wrote:

"Arthur" wrote in message

Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Got an SDS Drill from Scewfix the other week ï½£29.99, cheaper than hiring
one, selection of bits were another ï½£17.99. Have only used it for drilling
16 14mm holes in concrete, but it worked fine.

Don't consider this a recomendation, but I saw a "budget" branded SDS at
makro the other day at 12.95 + VAT including tools! It does make you
wonder how you can produce even a poor product at that sort of price point.

Looked like the first incarnations of the NuTool - i.e. dodgy roto stop
selector and no safty clutch!

--
Cheers,

John.

blah

"IMM" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
Arthur wrote:
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

I'd say given the importance of decent tolerances in an sds, if you're
going to spend £50, might as well spend £90 and get a pro machine from a
known manufacturer (e.g. 500W blue Bosch), or a little bit more and get
a DeWalt.

DeWally?

Why do people insist on paying for a name?

Snowman

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

How about the 11 piece SDS drill set they're offering at £4.99, are they
likely to be any good?

Peter.

sPoNiX

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:13:32 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

When budgetting for this type of tool, consider it to have a lifetime
equal to the warranty. It is unlikely that there are repair
facilities or spares.
A £50 price point is above that for the real entry level which could
be argued to be disposable and quite close to getting something a lot
better.

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools
to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't
qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your
decision based on actually seeing the tool.

I'd be interested to find out who actually makes Lidl power tools as
they obviously don't make them themselves.

sPoNiX
StealthUK

"JA" wrote in message ...
"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Got an SDS Drill from Scewfix the other week £29.99, cheaper than hiring
one, selection of bits were another £17.99. Have only used it for drilling
16 14mm holes in concrete, but it worked fine.

Ash

Yeah, it's the same one being sold all over the place under various
badging.I bought one just less than 3 years back and only last week
did it fail - hammer action packed up. Pretty good though considering
I abused it to high heaven.

Does anyone read Which! Magazine? They just tested some Jigsaws and
the £90 DeWalt didn't come out too well. Even the £19 Wickes rated
higher (with the exception of endurance of the motor) and the £15
Power Devil had a higher rating in quality of cut!
Makita came out on top and Metabo and Bosch also did well.

Sam

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools
to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't
qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your
decision based on actually seeing the tool.

My Dad bought one of these the last time they had them. I haven't used it
but it looked nicely made and he seems quite chuffed with it. It might not
be as solid as my Kress(?) made Wickes SDS but that was £135 a few years
back. I suppose that being Lidl it has a 3 year warranty in which case I
would say it's pretty good value.

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend a
£100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Sam

Grunff

Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend a
£100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff
Sam

"Grunff" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well
spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

IMM

"Sam" wrote in message

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools
to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't
qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your
decision based on actually seeing the tool.

My Dad bought one of these the last time they had them. I haven't used it
but it looked nicely made and he seems quite chuffed with it. It might not
be as solid as my Kress(?) made Wickes SDS but that was £135 a few years
back. I suppose that being Lidl it has a 3 year warranty in which case I
would say it's pretty good value.

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend

£100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

If you are spending £100 then buy two if they are well made.

Mike Halmarack

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:25:37 +0100, "Sam" wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well
spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

But the question is, how many more value tools would need to be used?

--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.

Sam

"Grunff" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well
spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

But the question is, how many more value tools would need to be used?

--

Maybe it's my level of skill but I tend to find I can only use one tool at a
time.

I'm sure though some of the smartarses on the group could use two SDSs at a
time -one in each hand - professional range only mind.

Sam

EricP

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:48:21 +0100, "Sam" wrote:

.. .

"Grunff" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well
spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

But the question is, how many more value tools would need to be used?

--

Maybe it's my level of skill but I tend to find I can only use one tool at a
time.

I'm sure though some of the smartarses on the group could use two SDSs at a
time -one in each hand - professional range only mind.

Sam

Pros can use one on their..........well, you get the picture. Great
for low level working!
Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:21:39 +0100, "Sam" wrote:

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools
to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't
qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your
decision based on actually seeing the tool.

My Dad bought one of these the last time they had them. I haven't used it
but it looked nicely made and he seems quite chuffed with it. It might not
be as solid as my Kress(?) made Wickes SDS but that was £135 a few years
back. I suppose that being Lidl it has a 3 year warranty in which case I
would say it's pretty good value.

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend a
£100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Sam

That's understandable if you view Kress as being solid.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:28:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools
to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't
qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your
decision based on actually seeing the tool.

My Dad bought one of these the last time they had them. I haven't used it
but it looked nicely made and he seems quite chuffed with it. It might not
be as solid as my Kress(?) made Wickes SDS but that was £135 a few years
back. I suppose that being Lidl it has a 3 year warranty in which case I
would say it's pretty good value.

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend

£100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

If you are spending £100 then buy two if they are well made.

A lose-lose situation :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

What experience do you have of Kress?

Mike Halmarack

"Grunff" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well
spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

--
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

But the question is, how many more value tools would need to be used?

--

Maybe it's my level of skill but I tend to find I can only use one tool at a
time.

Now you're being disarmingly frank Sam

I'm sure though some of the smartarses on the group could use two SDSs at a
time -one in each hand - professional range only mind.

Wire Turps?

Sam

--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.
Tony Bryer

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
That's understandable if you view Kress as being solid.

My Wickes SDS certainly seems to be. I don't know whether they read
this group but noted that the Wickes latest price book says 'Made in
Germany' or 'Made in Switzerland' against all their grey pro tools

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
That's understandable if you view Kress as being solid.

My Wickes SDS certainly seems to be. I don't know whether they read
this group but noted that the Wickes latest price book says 'Made in
Germany' or 'Made in Switzerland' against all their grey pro tools

They probably do. Any marketing dept with any sense would gauge opinions,
trends, etc from the Internet. The clear impression here was that Wickes
pro range was DIY in quality and made in China.

Sam

The clear impression here was that Wickes
pro range was DIY in quality

Quite unsuitable for the users of this newsgroup then?

Tosser

Sam

IMM

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

Sam

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

What a professional standard prick!

Sam

IMM

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

What a professional standard prick!

Sam

Me thinks we have another troll.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:24:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Me thinks we have another troll.

Surely you're not bothered about competition........

Don't worrry, we'll look after you :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sam

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

What a professional standard prick!

Sam

Me thinks we have another troll.

Why don't you just F*** off to the uk.p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l newsgroup? Oh
duh, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, silly me, how absurd?!

OK why don't you just F***k off and go buff your seriously amateur helmet
with your seriously professional penis substitute power drill?

regards

Sam

Sam

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:24:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Me thinks we have another troll.

Surely you're not bothered about competition........

Don't worrry, we'll look after you :-)

Now Andy don't you start waving that SPPSPD at me! It looks even bigger than
IMM's

regards

Sam

IMM

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

What a professional standard prick!

Sam

Me thinks we have another troll.

Why don't you just F*** off to the uk.p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l newsgroup?

Oh
duh, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, silly me, how absurd?!

OK why don't you just F***k off and go buff your seriously amateur helmet
with your seriously professional penis substitute power drill?

regards

Sam

Cor...a fully fledged mentalist.

Arthur

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a reputation
in the UK.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

Sam

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message

Tosser

Sam

I suppose it takes one to know one. What a pillock!

What a professional standard prick!

Sam

Me thinks we have another troll.

Why don't you just F*** off to the uk.p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l newsgroup?

Oh
duh, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, silly me, how absurd?!

OK why don't you just F***k off and go buff your seriously amateur helmet
with your seriously professional penis substitute power drill?

regards

Sam

Cor...a fully fledged mentalist.

Bore...a fully fledged useless newsgroup poster.

regards

Sam

IMM

"Arthur" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a reputation
in the UK.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

Where are they made?

Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:19:42 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

Yes, this is stretching it a bit.

If there are any patents around on SDS then they are likely to have
been with Bosch.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a reputation
in the UK.

I think that this is more likely to be a house brand name by Lidl who
have their origins in Germany

I would be surprised if Parkside exists as a manufacturer.

The typical scenario is that a volume distribution outfit like Lidl
approaches volume tool factory in China and agrees a volume, colours,
labelling and badged documentation, plus a name to go on the product.

There will also be an agreed return rate and logistics arrangement to
replace faulty product that fails in the agreed warranty period.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:32:18 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Arthur" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a reputation
in the UK.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

Where are they made?

It has to be PRC or Taiwan.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sam

"IMM" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a
reputation
in the UK.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

Where are they made?

And where do you think the internals of all the big brands are being made
these days? And if you say "yeah so and so are still all made in Deutsches"
how long do you think will that be?

Sam

IMM

"Arthur" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
Any opinions on this?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Productname

Arthur

Taking another look at the page.
It highlights some kind of patented ' 3 way switch'.
I doubt if re-badgers go around inventing stuff at add new features.

I think Parkside are big in Germany and taking aloss to build a

reputation
in the UK.

A penny-'apennies worth.

Arthur

Where are they made?

It has to be PRC or Taiwan.

I asked where are they made, not a guess ay where they are made.