John

Default Worktop Joint

My Mum has just purchased her Council house and everything that's been OK
for the last 20 years "needs changing" i.e, bathroom, kitchen, fence, patio
etc and Yours Truly has got the contract!!
My question relates to the kitchen worktop. It will only have one join as
it will be 'L' shaped and I don't want to go to the expense of hiring a jig
etc., or a joiner for that matter, for one joint. I am sure I have seen
mention on here of worktops with pre machined male and female joints or am I
dreaming it? If anybody can point me in the right direction I would
appreciate it.

Many thanks

John

Tony Bryer

In article , John wrote:
I am sure I have seen
mention on here of worktops with pre machined male and female joints or am I
dreaming it? If anybody can point me in the right direction I would
appreciate it.

Our local Homebase sells them

G&M

"John" wrote in message
My Mum has just purchased her Council house and everything that's been OK
for the last 20 years "needs changing" i.e, bathroom, kitchen, fence,

patio
etc and Yours Truly has got the contract!!
My question relates to the kitchen worktop. It will only have one join as
it will be 'L' shaped and I don't want to go to the expense of hiring a

jig
etc., or a joiner for that matter, for one joint. I am sure I have seen
mention on here of worktops with pre machined male and female joints or am

dreaming it? If anybody can point me in the right direction I would
appreciate it.

Any good woodworking place will cut the surface and put butt and scribe
joints in for about £55. Use the coloured worksurface glue from Screwfix
for a good result.

kitchenman

This is OK IF the corner is square

You could get it done professionally for around £60 if you are in Essex

--
regards
dave batter

"G&M" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

---

dg

"kitchenman" wrote in message
o.uk...
This is OK IF the corner is square

You could get it done professionally for around £60 if you are in Essex

--
regards
dave batter
www.kitchenman.co.uk

In which case you would adjust the position of the units and worktop, and
not cut an out of square joint.

dg

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:00:05 +0000, dg wrote:

"kitchenman" wrote in message
o.uk...
This is OK IF the corner is square

You could get it done professionally for around £60 if you are in Essex

--
regards
dave batter
www.kitchenman.co.uk

In which case you would adjust the position of the units and worktop, and
not cut an out of square joint.

This is a matter of degree (ahem 'scuse the pun).
If the walls are out so that you have more than a couple of cm gap at
the back then you are going to have a lot of trouble.
In my experience that sort of misalignment is normal.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

tony sayer

In article ,
kitchenman writes
That's what I call a salmonella joint, if you want it to look right you
gotta pay for it

Recently doing up my mum and dad's old house and in the kitchen I
remember some of the dodgy practises that went on there. By rights we
should have all been long deceased with all manner of illnesses but for
some strange reason I can hardly ever remember anyone having a gut upset
and of course allergies were unheard of...

Perhaps our excessive cleanliness?. After all you should seen how my old
grannie lived, and she waited till she was 89 before she departed this
life, and I never recall her being ill......
--
Tony Sayer

kitchenman

It was a client who first coined that phrase.

She was/is a nursing sister at a local hospital

--
regards
dave batter
www.kitchenman.co.uk
www.sxmitres.info
www.marks-family.co.uk
www.essex-sandivers.info
http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id5568652
mobile email #
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
kitchenman writes
That's what I call a salmonella joint, if you want it to look right you
gotta pay for it

Recently doing up my mum and dad's old house and in the kitchen I
remember some of the dodgy practises that went on there. By rights we
should have all been long deceased with all manner of illnesses but for
some strange reason I can hardly ever remember anyone having a gut upset
and of course allergies were unheard of...

Perhaps our excessive cleanliness?. After all you should seen how my old
grannie lived, and she waited till she was 89 before she departed this
life, and I never recall her being ill......
--
Tony Sayer

---

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:36:21 GMT, "kitchenman"
wrote:

She was/is a nursing sister at a local hospital

We should take hygiene advice from British hospitals ?
tony sayer

In article , Andy Dingley
writes
wrote:

She was/is a nursing sister at a local hospital

We should take hygiene advice from British hospitals ?

Probably when she *was* there;!......
--
Tony Sayer