Rick Hughes

Default Grout or Silicone for tile to worktop joint?

Just completed another marathon tiling job, this time ceramic tiles to the
walls in a new kitchen, 460 tiles, and a lot of hours !

I have spaced the tiles 3mm up from worktops (using standard 3mm tile
spacers which were used throughout)

There are 2 options for the finish .. Grout the joint at the same time as
grouting the tiles, or fill the gap with silicone.

What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles & worktop ?

Rick

Andy Hall

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:24:37 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

Just completed another marathon tiling job, this time ceramic tiles to the
walls in a new kitchen, 460 tiles, and a lot of hours !

I have spaced the tiles 3mm up from worktops (using standard 3mm tile
spacers which were used throughout)

There are 2 options for the finish .. Grout the joint at the same time as
grouting the tiles, or fill the gap with silicone.

What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles & worktop ?

It depends on whether you expect there to be movement or not.

I have granite worktops and they have not moved at all. The gap to
the worktop was grouted, but then a thin bead of clear silicone run
over it - effectively invisible.

Otherwise, silicone is probably a better option.

What colour grout and sealant (and for that matter tiles) do you have
in mind? White grout is generally a bad idea because it will
discolour. Light grey, if it goes with the tiles, is a better
option. It's also worth sealing the grout with Lithofin Stainstop.
This will prevent discolouration and make wiping and cleaning much
easier. Not cheap, but very good and you don't need much.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rick Hughes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message Light grey, if it goes with
the tiles, is a better
option. It's also worth sealing the grout with Lithofin Stainstop.
This will prevent discolouration and make wiping and cleaning much
easier. Not cheap, but very good and you don't need much.

.... tell me more about "Lithofin Stainstop" not come across this.

Is it easy to apply. does it affect the tile or just soak in to grout ?

The wall tiles are various rustic shades of brown ... if I siliconed the
bottom I would choose a matching colour to the grout.

But like your comment on grouting, then running thin bead of clear silicone,
don't expect any movement.

Rick

John Rumm

Rick Hughes wrote:

There are 2 options for the finish .. Grout the joint at the same time as
grouting the tiles, or fill the gap with silicone.

What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles & worktop ?

I would go for a good quality silicone, as grout will very likely crack.
The tiler who did our kitchen used silicone for this, and it still
looks pristine some 10 years later.

--
Cheers,

John.

Tom

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Just completed another marathon tiling job, this time ceramic tiles to the
walls in a new kitchen, 460 tiles, and a lot of hours !

I have spaced the tiles 3mm up from worktops (using standard 3mm tile
spacers which were used throughout)

There are 2 options for the finish .. Grout the joint at the same time as
grouting the tiles, or fill the gap with silicone.

What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles & worktop

?

Rick

I used White Silicone, and also used masking tape above (vert), and below
(horiz) the joint to provide a neat finish as my tiles were dark green.
Still Ok approx 12 yrs later.
Tom

Jerry Built

Rick Hughes wrote:
What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles
& worktop ?

Silicone forced into the joint, low modulus neutral cure. Use
masking tape to get a perfect finish. Use your finger to
smudge silicone across into the grout lines if needed.

J.B.
CDOYLE0361

I do a lot of tiling and silicone every time, grout will eventually powder and
break off