Andy Hall

Default Grout or Silicone for tile to worktop joint?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:24:37 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

Just completed another marathon tiling job, this time ceramic tiles to the
walls in a new kitchen, 460 tiles, and a lot of hours !

I have spaced the tiles 3mm up from worktops (using standard 3mm tile
spacers which were used throughout)

There are 2 options for the finish .. Grout the joint at the same time as
grouting the tiles, or fill the gap with silicone.

What is the considered best practise for the joint between tiles & worktop ?

It depends on whether you expect there to be movement or not.

I have granite worktops and they have not moved at all. The gap to
the worktop was grouted, but then a thin bead of clear silicone run
over it - effectively invisible.

Otherwise, silicone is probably a better option.

What colour grout and sealant (and for that matter tiles) do you have
in mind? White grout is generally a bad idea because it will
discolour. Light grey, if it goes with the tiles, is a better
option. It's also worth sealing the grout with Lithofin Stainstop.
This will prevent discolouration and make wiping and cleaning much
easier. Not cheap, but very good and you don't need much.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl