Mark

Default TV colour has turned pink!

Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

mrcheerful

"Mark" wrote in message
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside, in which case cautious
wiggling of boards inside using a wooden rod might locate the fault,
otherwise it needs a pro to look, but for a tv of that age it is probably
not worth getting a repair place to look at it.

mrcheerful

The Natural Philosopher

Mark wrote:

Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

Green gun is fading or its drivers are shagged. Should not be shagged
after 6 years. Usually do more like 10-15.

Its probably fixable, but price may exceed what you are willing to pay.

If you have a local repair shop of some credibility, take it in. Often
they will p/ex on on a recon unit which gives them time to fiddle with
yours and fix it if they can.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:34:19 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

I understand that failure of the green is a fairly common fault with
Sony tubes :-(

Comes from watching too much Emmerdale..... :-)

This would result in a magenta to pink caste on the picture.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Farmer Giles

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the

picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

in which case cautious
wiggling of boards inside using a wooden rod might locate the fault,
otherwise it needs a pro to look, but for a tv of that age it is probably
not worth getting a repair place to look at it.

mrcheerful

Frightening advice.

This is probably a tube fault - green gun low, or no, emission ( assuming
'pink' is a magenta raster). There are quick ways of determining this -
swapping drive leads over, for example - but not advisable for the
inexperienced.

Christian McArdle

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good
whack with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the
picture/fixes it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

Well, we were taught the finer points of "percussive maintenance" on my BEng
degree course.

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I understand that failure of the green is a fairly common fault with
Sony tubes :-(

No - it's usually the red that ages in old trinitrons requiring the green
drive to be reduced - many old Sonys had an external control to allow this
easily.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

Foregrounds going slightly pink should respond to a grey scale line up.
Assuming it's possible on such a set. You might have to get into the
engineering menu. Older sets had pots to allow this - not sure about
yours, which is probably software controlled.

The tube could well have years left in it.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mrcheerful
. wrote:
could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good
whack with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the
picture/fixes it then probably you have a bad connection inside, in
which case cautious wiggling of boards inside using a wooden rod might
locate the fault, otherwise it needs a pro to look, but for a tv of
that age it is probably not worth getting a repair place to look at it.

Unless it suddenly happened, it's unlikely to be a dry joint, etc. Ageing
of the guns at different rates happens on all tubes, as the gains are
different. Many simply put up with this - or don't even notice.
But all sets must be adjustable somehow, although IIRC may do an auto grey
scale balance.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Martin Warby

Well, we were taught the finer points of "percussive maintenance" on my BEng
degree course.

Christian.

my physics teacher gave me the advice 'if in doubt give it a clout'
sometimes it works sometimes it don't

Martin Warby

Mark

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Foregrounds going slightly pink should respond to a grey scale line

up.
Assuming it's possible on such a set. You might have to get into the
engineering menu. Older sets had pots to allow this - not sure about
yours, which is probably software controlled.

The tube could well have years left in it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if there is an engineers menu but
if any one knows. The model is: Sony Trinitron, KV- 25F1U.

tony sayer

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

Never been that impressed with Sony TV always look too red even when
new. Very poor performance developing this sort of fault after 5 years
--
Tony Sayer

Farmer Giles

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good
whack with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the
picture/fixes it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

Well, we were taught the finer points of "percussive maintenance" on my

BEng
degree course.

Judicious tapping is an essential part of TV fault finding, but giving the
set 'a good
whack with the flat of the hand on the casing' is not the recommended
method!

Ian Stirling

Martin Warby wrote:

Well, we were taught the finer points of "percussive maintenance" on my BEng
degree course.

Christian.

my physics teacher gave me the advice 'if in doubt give it a clout'
sometimes it works sometimes it don't

Luckily, most doctors (other than obstetricians) don't get this sort of
training.
mrcheerful

"Mark" wrote in message
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

this place have a chassis for one at 20 quid:

http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/live/clearanc.htm

mrcheerful

mrcheerful

"Mark" wrote in message
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

found this might help
KV25F3U SERVICE MODE PRESS ON SCREEN DISPLAY, DIGIT 5, VOL. + AND power

Dave Stanton

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the

picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

First thing I do when a piece of equipment comes in for repair and I have
been doing it for 22 years.

Dave
N. Thornton

wrote:

Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

Either green emission going down, or possibly just needs gren drive
adjusting. Falling emission is an elementary fault to fix - or to put
it more correctly, postpone for several more years - but strangely few
repair techs know how to fix it. Send it to me

The solution is to up the tube heater voltage. If the heater is fed
from a LOPTF winding, add another turn round the LOPTF and wire it in
series with LOPTF output to get more V. If its fed from a regulated
supply, feeding it from before the regulator usually works when the
reg is linear. With SMPSUs just look around, you can usually find a
suitable V somewhere.

Or those are all non options, add a small mains TF to run the heater.

There are other ways to boost tubes, but dont use the popular zap-it
approach if you want it to last long. Though they do boost tubes, the
tubes then lose emission relatively rapidly, and as it goes down they
smear badly, ie it boosts them for a bit, but makes them unrepairable
longer term.

Boost V: 30% typically gives excellant results, I've used upto 70% on
an experimental only basis - and it worked. Cant recommend 70% cos its
not risk free!

NT
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:15:51 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

... giving the set 'a good whack with the flat of the hand on the
casing' is not the recommended method!

So why are three good blows (top and both sides) from a mallet part of
the final testing on Panasonic production lines? This is after they
have been pushed, tube first, off the conveyor onto the a padded mount
at about 45 degrees. This is with the set powered up and a mirror
positioned so that the mallet wanger can see the screen...

Domestic TVs are tough old things. Dropped a 15" colour onto the top
of some shallow concrete steps which it the proceeded to slither down
for 20'. Picked it up, carried it back up, powered up and part from a
few scratches on the case you wouldn't know.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

mrcheerful

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good
whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the

picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

First thing I do when a piece of equipment comes in for repair and I have
been doing it for 22 years.

Dave

Thank you for the confirmation, Dave.

Incidentally I used my neighbours, thrown out TV with the same sort of
fault, for about 6 years, initially my friend the tv man came round and I
asked if he would have a look as it was a bigger tv than I was using, he
said "I know what's wrong with that" and slapped it hard, perfect picture
instantly, a few months went by and the picture dropped a colour again, I
wiggled the boards around till I found the one that cured it and I wedged a
stick in to keep it working. Several years later it lost the picture
completely and I threw it out.

mrcheerful

Farmer Giles

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good

whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the

picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

First thing I do when a piece of equipment comes in for repair and I have
been doing it for 22 years.

I was 'doing it' for a good deal longer than 22 years, and I wouldn't have
liked you to use that method in my business. As I say elsewhere, a bit of
'judicious tapping' is an esssential part of fault finding (particularly
with an intermittent problem) on some equipment but certainly not a 'good
whack' on the casing. I speak as someone who began his technical life as a
'valve tapper', so I know all about 'impact maintenance', but you have to
draw the line somewhere ;)

raden

In message , Mark
writes
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

Have you tried giving it a good hard thump

remember the adage - when in doubt, give it a clout

I'm not actually joking

--
geoff
mike ring

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
. net:

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

Well, we were taught the finer points of "percussive maintenance" on
my BEng degree course.

Christian.

I was taught to use the British Standard Bash by a then reputable
broadcasting organisation

mike
mike ring

"Mark" wrote in news:2r8k1tF17akghU1@uni-
berlin.de:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if there is an engineers menu but
if any one knows. The model is: Sony Trinitron, KV- 25F1U.

Ther'll be a complicated series of keypresses that brings it up; there are
groups like alt.electronic.maintenace (I don't mean there's a group with
that particular name) could be worht google-grouping for

mike
Farmer Giles

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:15:51 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

... giving the set 'a good whack with the flat of the hand on the
casing' is not the recommended method!

So why are three good blows (top and both sides) from a mallet part of
the final testing on Panasonic production lines? This is after they
have been pushed, tube first, off the conveyor onto the a padded mount
at about 45 degrees. This is with the set powered up and a mirror
positioned so that the mallet wanger can see the screen...

Domestic TVs are tough old things. Dropped a 15" colour onto the top
of some shallow concrete steps which it the proceeded to slither down
for 20'. Picked it up, carried it back up, powered up and part from a
few scratches on the case you wouldn't know.

Actually I know what you say to be true. In the seventies I worked at two TV
factories for a spell - Saba in West Germany and ITT in Hastings - and the
mallet test was certainly carried out in Germany (I can't remember if it was
done at ITT). I remember being quite shocked by this because it was a
practice that me and my colleagues in the trade in those days (I had worked
at Radio Rentals for some years) would certainly not have carried out. It is
still my view (obviously not shared by everyone here) that this is not good
practice. Anyway, what you do on the production line - where you're dealing
with a recently asembled chassis, which have entirely different problems to
'in-service' equipment - has little relevance to what you do with customer's
equipment, particularly on their premises.

mrcheerful

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message

[...]

I agree you wouldn't do that in front of a customer, but in the real world
outside of the view of the customer.......

mrcheerful

mrcheerful

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mark
writes
Does this sound terminal? My parents have a 6 yr old Sony 25 inch
standard TV. It's used every day but over the last few months started to
take a few minutes to come on each day. It went ok for a few weeks but
recently started again to take a while to come on, but now the picture
has also gone pink! It seems to be only white or light colours that
have turned pink. For e.g, sky & cloud shots and anything that supposed
to be white are all pink (watching Emmerdale all the sheep were pink,
lol) Darker colours appear to remain normal. Could it be the tube on
the way out?

Have you tried giving it a good hard thump

remember the adage - when in doubt, give it a clout

I'm not actually joking

--
geoff

I know people who say that about wives and girlfriends.

mrcheerful

Dave Stanton

I was 'doing it' for a good deal longer than 22 years, and I wouldn't have
liked you to use that method in my business. As I say elsewhere, a bit of
'judicious tapping' is an esssential part of fault finding (particularly
with an intermittent problem) on some equipment but certainly not a 'good
whack' on the casing. I speak as someone who began his technical life as a
'valve tapper', so I know all about 'impact maintenance', but you have to
draw the line somewhere ;)

Said tongue in cheek, however sometimes a dry joint does need a good slap
to get it to show it self. We are not talking about hitting it with a
hammer. Also depends what your fault finding on.

Dave

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:48:29 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

Actually I know what you say to be true.

Of course it's true I've witnessed it at the end of the Panasonic
production line in S.Wales. Donno if that fcatory still exists, it
might be about 10 years ago.

Anyway, what you do on the production line - where you're dealing
with a recently asembled chassis, which have entirely different
problems to 'in-service' equipment - has little relevance to what
you do with customer's equipment, particularly on their premises.

Fairy nuff, I wouldn't hit it quite so hard if front of a customer.
B-) But a dry joint or poor connection is the same no matter the age
of the set, one assumes on an old set it has only just occured like
that in a just assembled one. I know of several bits of broadcast kit
that have X's marked on them to indicate the best "impact maintenace"
point.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail