Farmer Giles

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

could be, but the first thing a pro would do is give the set a good

whack
with the flat of the hand on the casing , if this affects the

picture/fixes
it then probably you have a bad connection inside,

You must have met some strange 'pros'.

First thing I do when a piece of equipment comes in for repair and I have
been doing it for 22 years.

I was 'doing it' for a good deal longer than 22 years, and I wouldn't have
liked you to use that method in my business. As I say elsewhere, a bit of
'judicious tapping' is an esssential part of fault finding (particularly
with an intermittent problem) on some equipment but certainly not a 'good
whack' on the casing. I speak as someone who began his technical life as a
'valve tapper', so I know all about 'impact maintenance', but you have to
draw the line somewhere ;)