IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Yeah - no bloody shops open and you can't even mow the lawn. Great !!!

You can mow the lawn on Saturdays, or on any evening during the week
when most Germans are not workaholics and presenteeists who stay
behind to impress the boss. German employees come home on time and
spend time with their children. Family is still a very strong concept
in Germany, as it is in Holland and Italy and many other states in the
EU.

Which is why Germany can't compete with the Far East and USA. In my
industry (semiconductors) very long hours but with high rewards are
expected. Nobody has to join that industry of course, and most electronic
engineers don't, but those that do would like there to be some shops open
when they get out.

As for "no bloody shops
open", if you knew what organising one's life meant, you would not
need to rely on Sundays for shopping.

Sunday IS shopping day.

It is now. 30, 20 years ago it was not. On the Continent it is a day of
leisure. People go to football games, restaurants, etc. Not sit in all
bloody day as the Brits did/do.

You may wish to drag the rest of Europe into a British netherworld of
"we never close" consumerism, but the vast majority of EU citizens
know how to spend their far greater amounts of free time far more
wisely than us.

You mean bankrupt ?? Europe has to compete in a global economy. That
means hard work !!!!!!

It means smart work, not hard work.

IMM

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:34:20 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

Children are also essential for replacing the huge numbers of
generations lost on the battlefields, and in the towns and cities in
World War II which, hopefully, with the establishment of the EU, will
never be repeated.

As the sole original purpose of the EU was to put, and keep, the lid
on German expansion plans in that respect alone it has proven to be
successful, so far.

The seed of the EU came from Churchill who promoted it all over Europe in
tours after WW2. To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:24:23 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

Hmm - does that make it as bad as a Renault or as good as a Peugeot ?

It's strange how perceptions influence markets. I have a colleague
in Germany with one of the high end Peugeots - can't remember which
one. It seems to be a pretty nice car (although I am not a car
expert), but they are very much cheaper in Germany than anywhere else
because they don't otherwise sell.

Germans look down on French cars.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

As for "no bloody shops
open", if you knew what organising one's life meant, you would not
need to rely on Sundays for shopping.

Sunday IS shopping day.

It is now. 30, 20 years ago it was not. On the Continent it is a day of
leisure. People go to football games, restaurants, etc. Not sit in all
bloody day as the Brits did/do.

So it's okay for the restaurant employees to have to work but not the
shopworkers ?
Get real. 30 years ago the UK was nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US, China and Korea growing faster.

You may wish to drag the rest of Europe into a British netherworld of
"we never close" consumerism, but the vast majority of EU citizens
know how to spend their far greater amounts of free time far more
wisely than us.

You mean bankrupt ?? Europe has to compete in a global economy. That
means hard work !!!!!!

It means smart work, not hard work.

It means both. The UK doesn't have a monopoly on bright people. In fact
more and more hi-tech jobs are going to India and Russia precisely because
many of our engineers don't want to work hard any more. Result - far fewer
well paid jobs in areas like IT.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

As for "no bloody shops
open", if you knew what organising one's life meant, you would not
need to rely on Sundays for shopping.

Sunday IS shopping day.

It is now. 30, 20 years ago it was not. On the Continent it is a day

of
leisure. People go to football games, restaurants, etc. Not sit in all
bloody day as the Brits did/do.

So it's okay for the restaurant employees to have to work but not the
shopworkers ?

One employment field is leisure one is not.

Get real. 30 years ago the UK was
nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US,
China and Korea growing faster.

Amazing what Nu labour ca do.

You may wish to drag the rest of Europe into a British netherworld

of
"we never close" consumerism, but the vast majority of EU citizens
know how to spend their far greater amounts of free time far more
wisely than us.

You mean bankrupt ?? Europe has to compete in a global economy.

That
means hard work !!!!!!

It means smart work, not hard work.

It means both. The UK doesn't have a
monopoly on bright people.

It does. The modern world came from the UK. Globalisation was invented by
the UK 100s of years ago. Most modern inventions came from the UK. Look at
work history and the progress line is slight then it shoots up
exponentially, when the industrial revolution came about, which came from
and was centred in the UK (mainly the north and midlands of England and some
of Scotland.

In fact more and more hi-tech jobs
are going to India and Russia precisely because
many of our engineers don't want to work
hard any more.

Balls. It is cheaper in those countries. Computer programming in COBOL is
not high tech.

Result - far fewer
well paid jobs in areas like IT.

You are confused.

Peter Parry

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
IMM

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course, and it could perhaps be argued,
the Americans......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe. If they did in
the future the EU would curtail any such desires.

and it could perhaps be argued,
the Americans......

Only economically.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:55:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe.

I was thinking more in terms of the former Empire.

If they did in
the future the EU would curtail any such desires.

Either thought is pretty unlikely.

and it could perhaps be argued,
the Americans......

Only economically.

and politically.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Peter Parry

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

The main ability of the French is to lose. They have not been a
military threat in Europe since Napoleon.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
IMM

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

The main ability of the French is to lose.

You are silly.

They have not been a
military threat in Europe since Napoleon.

Napoleon wasa large threat, so was Hitler. The Soviets never were.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

Get real. 30 years ago the UK was
nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US,
China and Korea growing faster.

Amazing what Nu labour ca do.

Despite the best efforts of having the UK's first communist chancellor of
the exchequer.

It means smart work, not hard work.

It means both. The UK doesn't have a
monopoly on bright people.

It does. The modern world came from the UK. Globalisation was invented by
the UK 100s of years ago. Most modern inventions came from the UK. Look

at
work history and the progress line is slight then it shoots up
exponentially, when the industrial revolution came about, which came from
and was centred in the UK (mainly the north and midlands of England and

some
of Scotland.

Don't be silly. The UK did lead the world at one point. But so did the
Greeks, Egyptians and now the Yanks. Chinese are next.

In fact more and more hi-tech jobs
are going to India and Russia precisely because
many of our engineers don't want to work
hard any more.

Balls. It is cheaper in those countries. Computer programming in COBOL is
not high tech.

I arrange for a huge amount of work to be contracted out to these countries.
I know there is a lot of commercial work (COBOL descendents) sent to India
but also a lot of very high tech work. Basically if it involves a lot of
deep mathematical work Russia is best whereas if you want a more systems
oriented view then you use India. But you still use the UK for the
conceptual thinking where we are best, and the US for the actual hardware
where they are the best.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:49:21 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

The main ability of the French is to lose.

You are silly.

They have not been a
military threat in Europe since Napoleon.

Napoleon wasa large threat, so was Hitler. The Soviets never were.

As long as you don't count the 20m that Stalin assisted from this
mortal coil.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting

rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe.

I do !!!!! (joke :-)

But I think TB does as well and that's an even worse joke !!!!

G&M

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting to
rule everyone.

The main ability of the French is to lose. They have not been a
military threat in Europe since Napoleon.

Not quite true. They were a huge threat to themselves when the Vichy sided
with the Germans.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Get real. 30 years ago the UK was
nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US,
China and Korea growing faster.

Amazing what Nu labour can do.

Despite the best efforts of having
the UK's first communist chancellor of
the exchequer.

You jest of course.

It means smart work, not hard work.

It means both. The UK doesn't have a
monopoly on bright people.

It does. The modern world came from the
UK. Globalisation was invented by
the UK 100s of years ago. Most modern
inventions came from the UK. Look
at work history and the progress line is
slight then it shoots up exponentially, when
the industrial revolution came about, which
came from and was centred in the UK
(mainly the north and midlands of England and
some of Scotland.

Don't be silly. The UK did lead the
world at one point. But so did the
Greeks, Egyptians and now the Yanks.
Chinese are next.

You have little comprehension. Here ity is again:
"Look at work history and the progress line is slight then it shoots up
exponentially, when the industrial revolution came about, which came from
and was centred in the UK (mainly the north and midlands of England and some
of Scotland."

The Brits advanced the world greater and faster than any other in history
and a mile.

In fact more and more hi-tech jobs
are going to India and Russia precisely because
many of our engineers don't want to work
hard any more.

Balls. It is cheaper in those countries. Computer programming in COBOL

is
not high tech.

I arrange for a huge amount of work
to be contracted out to these countries.
I know there is a lot of commercial work
(COBOL descendents) sent to India
but also a lot of very high tech work.
Basically if it involves a lot of
deep mathematical work Russia is best
whereas if you want a more systems
oriented view then you use India. But you
still use the UK for the conceptual thinking
where we are best,

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not break any grounds at all, just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

and the US for the actual hardware
where they are the best.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:46:22 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:40:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in wanting

rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe.

I do !!!!! (joke :-)

Wow... a joke...

But I think TB does as well and that's an even worse joke !!!!

You should not vote Tory as it is not good for you.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

Get real. 30 years ago the UK was
nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US,
China and Korea growing faster.

Amazing what Nu labour can do.

Despite the best efforts of having
the UK's first communist chancellor of
the exchequer.

You jest of course.

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

[...]

I didn't disagree. But the fact is we have got lazy and have recently
fallen behind.

I arrange for a huge amount of work
to be contracted out to these countries.
I know there is a lot of commercial work
(COBOL descendents) sent to India
but also a lot of very high tech work.
Basically if it involves a lot of
deep mathematical work Russia is best
whereas if you want a more systems
oriented view then you use India. But you
still use the UK for the conceptual thinking
where we are best,

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not break any grounds at all, just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

Tell me where I can do it cheaper here and I would gladly do so. But fresh
UK Ph.Ds from the real unis want £25k just to get out of bed nowadays.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in

wanting
rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe.

I do !!!!! (joke :-)

Wow... a joke...

But I think TB does as well and that's an even worse joke !!!!

You should not vote Tory as it is not good for you.

Needs must. If there was still a proper Tory party a la Maggie then even
better but anything is better than the current encumbant offshoot of the
Trotskyites.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Get real. 30 years ago the UK was
nowhere and going downhill fast, now it
is a thriving economy with only the US,
China and Korea growing faster.

Amazing what Nu labour can do.

Despite the best efforts of having
the UK's first communist chancellor of
the exchequer.

You jest of course.

Nope. He's obviously some sort of
communist plant to destroy the country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

Duh, we do they come from? Of couse, we should all look for eds under the
bed every morning.

[...]

by a mile.

I didn't disagree. But the fact is we have got lazy and have recently
fallen behind.

The Tory party is to blame. We need is a republic and land re-distributing.

I arrange for a huge amount of work
to be contracted out to these countries.
I know there is a lot of commercial work
(COBOL descendents) sent to India
but also a lot of very high tech work.
Basically if it involves a lot of
deep mathematical work Russia is best
whereas if you want a more systems
oriented view then you use India. But you
still use the UK for the conceptual thinking
where we are best,

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not breaking any grounds at all,

just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

Tell me where I can do it cheaper here and I would gladly do so.

You want it cheaper, not inventive and creative.

But fresh UK Ph.Ds from the real unis
want £25k just to get out of bed nowadays.

Snots the lots of em.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

wrote:

To prevent wars was a major aim, not necessarily curbing
Germany.

The two were synonymous.

No they were not. The French at time have been just as bad in

wanting
rule everyone.

Not forgetting the British of course,

The British have had no aspirations of controlling Europe.

I do !!!!! (joke :-)

Wow... a joke...

But I think TB does as well and that's an even worse joke !!!!

You should not vote Tory as it is not good for you.

Needs must. If there was still a proper
Tory party a la Maggie

Boy! another mentalist.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not breaking any grounds at all,

just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

Tell me where I can do it cheaper here and I would gladly do so.

You want it cheaper, not inventive and creative.

Nope. Creative is paramount. But given equal creativity which generally
the Russians do easily for anything mathematical then cost to market is next
factor to choose on.

But fresh UK Ph.Ds from the real unis
want £25k just to get out of bed nowadays.

Snots the lots of em.

Make your mind up. First you say I should employ them, then you call them
snots !!

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not breaking any grounds at

all,
just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

Tell me where I can do it cheaper here and I would gladly do so.

You want it cheaper, not inventive and creative.

Nope. Creative is paramount. But given equal creativity which generally
the Russians do easily for anything mathematical then cost to market is

next
factor to choose on.

But fresh UK Ph.Ds from the real unis
want £25k just to get out of bed nowadays.

Snots the lots of em.

Make your mind up. First you say I should employ them, then you call them
snots !!

You should employ proper people.

Grunff

G&M wrote:

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the

country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

Fear? You could get the Tories back in a be shafted even further. How
naive some people are.

Peter Parry

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:54:48 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

Not quite true. They were a huge threat to themselves when the Vichy sided
with the Germans.

Most of France did - it required some quite innovative editing of
history to make it apparently appear otherwise.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
IMM

wrote:

Not quite true. They were a huge threat to themselves when the Vichy

sided
with the Germans.

Most of France did - it required some quite innovative editing of
history to make it apparently appear otherwise.

There was enough Free French in the UK to make the difference.

Would the UK have been any different? In the Channel Islands the local girls
went with the German soldiers, and married some of them after the war. In
France they tarred and feathered them. The Germans considered the British
to cooperative if they ever took over the country. Which was a tall order in
itself.

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Exactly. The Russians and Indians are not breaking any grounds at

all,
just
doing work that can be easily done here, cheaper.

Tell me where I can do it cheaper here and I would gladly do so.

You want it cheaper, not inventive and creative.

Nope. Creative is paramount. But given equal creativity which

generally
the Russians do easily for anything mathematical then cost to market is

next
factor to choose on.

But fresh UK Ph.Ds from the real unis
want £25k just to get out of bed nowadays.

Snots the lots of em.

Make your mind up. First you say I should employ them, then you call

them
snots !!

You should employ proper people.

The job requires Ph.Ds from top unis. These normally come from places like
Cambridge, Imperial, etc in the UK or from Harvard, Stanford or MIT in the
US.
But in certain subjects those from Moscow are equal or better for less
money.
What don't you understand ?

G&M

"Grunff" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the

country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

I think MI5 would have to act then and he would soon be out.

G&M

wrote:

Not quite true. They were a huge threat to themselves when the Vichy

sided
with the Germans.

Most of France did - it required some quite innovative editing of
history to make it apparently appear otherwise.

Yep. Mind you a lot of people in the "most of France" as you call it still
regard the Ile de France region (i.e. Paris) as another country anyway

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Your notion of a top uni. I have found some of the brightest and creative
graduates from unis that were not your idea of top.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the

country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

I think MI5 would have to act then and he would soon be out.

Which spy book have you been reading?

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy the

country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

I think MI5 would have to act then and he would soon be out.

Which spy book have you been reading?

Harold Wilson's memoirs. He knew who was behind getting rid of him but had
no proof.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Nope. He's obviously some sort of communist plant to destroy

the
country.
Nobody could be that naive on economics, even you.

My greatest fear is that Labour will win the next election and he

will
replace Tony. Ughhhh...

I think MI5 would have to act then and he would soon be out.

Which spy book have you been reading?

Harold Wilson's memoirs. He knew who was behind getting rid of him but

had
no proof.

Things are a little different, but only a little. The landed families still
infiltrate the top brass of the military. Currently there is no displaced
military who thought they still had an empire and should live the life of
Reilly at our expense.

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Dont orget te pesrians and o course teh Africans. Where did IMM first
come down from the trees?

In fact more and more hi-tech jobs
are going to India and Russia precisely because
many of our engineers don't want to work
hard any more.

Balls. It is cheaper in those countries. Computer programming in COBOL is
not high tech.

I arrange for a huge amount of work to be contracted out to these countries.
I know there is a lot of commercial work (COBOL descendents) sent to India
but also a lot of very high tech work. Basically if it involves a lot of
deep mathematical work Russia is best whereas if you want a more systems
oriented view then you use India. But you still use the UK for the
conceptual thinking where we are best, and the US for the actual hardware
where they are the best.

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

You should not vote Tory as it is not good for you.

Needs must. If there was still a proper Tory party a la Maggie then even
better but anything is better than the current encumbant offshoot of the
Trotskyites.

Odd. I find that Bliar and teh Venoumous Bitch are completely similar in
so many many ways.

Both are busy hatcheting the competition and surrounding themselves with
fawning cronies.

Brown will go the way of Tarzan in the end.

IMM

G&M wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Standing on your head as I dropped.

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

What don't you understand ?

Almost everything.

IMM

G&M wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

What don't you understand ?

Almost everything.

If you went to a decent uni then you would understand.