tom w

Default cat5 modules and faceplates

Hi,

I've been trying to find a good online source of cat5 sockets/modules - I
really want to use MK faceplates so that they fit in with the look of the
power sockets, but I'm not too keen to spend £15 each for the MK modules -
I'm going to be fitting 6-8 of these and my budget is limited. Do other
manufacturers make modules that fit, and if so where's the best place to
buy? Online ordering would be ideal...

Cheers

Tom

Andy Hall

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:43:27 -0000, "tom w"
wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to find a good online source of cat5 sockets/modules - I
really want to use MK faceplates so that they fit in with the look of the
power sockets, but I'm not too keen to spend £15 each for the MK modules -
I'm going to be fitting 6-8 of these and my budget is limited. Do other
manufacturers make modules that fit, and if so where's the best place to
buy? Online ordering would be ideal...

Cheers

Tom

Look for a good price on Krone modules. They fit MK plates - in fact
MK resells Krone modules.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

I'm going to be fitting 6-8 of these and my budget is limited. Do other
manufacturers make modules that fit, and if so where's the best place to
buy? Online ordering would be ideal...

I got mine from netshop. Patch cables from a quid. Populated double RJ45
faceplates from less than a fiver. All including VAT. You might be able to
buy MK faceplates and find cheap modules to fit. You'll have to do serious
checking on dimensions.

Christian.

Lurch

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:43:27 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "tom w"
strung together this:

Hi,

I've been trying to find a good online source of cat5 sockets/modules - I
really want to use MK faceplates so that they fit in with the look of the
power sockets, but I'm not too keen to spend £15 each for the MK modules -
I'm going to be fitting 6-8 of these and my budget is limited. Do other
manufacturers make modules that fit, and if so where's the best place to
buy? Online ordering would be ideal...

The modules will be a standard 25mm x 50mm. Any standard modular
sockets will fit the MK modular faceplate.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Toby

4-LOM wrote:
The only thing
I couldn't get from them was an ISDN terminated RJ45 module. Can't
find them at CPC, Maplins, or any of my usual computer suppliers
either. Anyone got any ideas?

Do it the modern office way, and plug an ISDN tail into a standard RJ45
socket. If appearance is paramount, the tail can go on the end of a lead
behind your TA.

--
Toby.

Rod Hewitt

"tom w" wrote in
:

I've been trying to find a good online source of cat5 sockets/modules

You might try http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp

Lots and lots of stuff - prices average rather than cheap.

Rod

fred

In article , Toby
writes
4-LOM wrote:
The only thing
I couldn't get from them was an ISDN terminated RJ45 module. Can't
find them at CPC, Maplins, or any of my usual computer suppliers
either. Anyone got any ideas?

Do it the modern office way, and plug an ISDN tail into a standard RJ45
socket. If appearance is paramount, the tail can go on the end of a lead
behind your TA.

Seconded, structured cabling woo . . .

Pins & values here if you need them:
http://people.freebsd.org/~hm/i4b-home/isdn-cabling.txt
--
fred
Lobster

(4-LOM) wrote in message . com...
(Lurch) wrote in message ...
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:43:27 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "tom w"
strung together this:

I've been trying to find a good online source of cat5 sockets/modules - I
really want to use MK faceplates so that they fit in with the look of the
power sockets, but I'm not too keen to spend £15 each for the MK modules -
I'm going to be fitting 6-8 of these and my budget is limited. Do other
manufacturers make modules that fit, and if so where's the best place to
buy? Online ordering would be ideal...

The modules will be a standard 25mm x 50mm. Any standard modular
sockets will fit the MK modular faceplate.

No-one's mentioned screwfix yet, so I'll have to.

Screwfix do standard CAT 5 stuff which is pretty cheap. The only thing
I couldn't get from them was an ISDN terminated RJ45 module. Can't
find them at CPC, Maplins, or any of my usual computer suppliers
either. They seem to be pretty rare these days as most ppl are either
still stuck on analogue dial up or have been lucky enough to get ADSL
or cable. Anyone got any ideas?

Try MK:
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1060
or:
http://tinyurl.com/2vhry

I know all about MK modules now, as I've been trying to source their
one fitted with a TV coax socket, without success (see other thread!).
If you find a suitable supplier please let me know - maybe we can
split the minimum order charge or something!
David
4-LOM

Screwfix do standard CAT 5 stuff which is pretty cheap. The only thing
I couldn't get from them was an ISDN terminated RJ45 module. Can't
find them at CPC, Maplins, or any of my usual computer suppliers
either. They seem to be pretty rare these days as most ppl are either
still stuck on analogue dial up or have been lucky enough to get ADSL
or cable. Anyone got any ideas?

Not at the moment. I'll have a look though. Why not make one, its only
a resistor across an RJ45, (can't remember what size or which pins
though, rather unhelpfully)

It's OK, I've found them at netshop.co.uk which was mentioned in a
enough of doing things myself for now. Heresy!
tom w

Thanks for all the replies. I've found and ordered 1-gang, 2-module MK
LogicPlus faceplates and Krone modules and adaptors from RS
(www.rs-components.co.uk). After a bit of research, I think these will all
be compatible each other, but you never know... The price still worked out
quite pricey - about £68 for 4 faceplates each with 2 RJ45 sockets (so
that's 8 ports in total), including the punch down tool and delivery - but
that's the price you pay if you want things to look right! (and it's a hell
of a lot cheaper than MK's own modular system at £13+VAT for a single RJ45
socket). Thanks for the advice, I'll be back on the thread if the bits don't
fit!

Tom

"Lobster" wrote in message
m...
(4-LOM) wrote in message

. com...
(Lurch) wrote in message
[...]

SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Lobster
writes
I know all about MK modules now, as I've been trying to source their
one fitted with a TV coax socket, without success (see other thread!).
If you find a suitable supplier please let me know - maybe we can
split the minimum order charge or something!

I gave up on this a while back. I now use blanking modules drilled and
fitted with one or two BNC sockets. It looks very neat and tidy.

The other thing I found to be brilliant is the 3-way modular face plates
that RS sell. I realised I had some places in the (home) office where I
needed up to six outlets, and having to put power sockets alongside the
wall would've just been a mess if I couldn't find a way of getting more
sockets into a 2-gang plasterbox.

Basically they're 3x shuttered outlets in the space of 2 standard RJ45
modules. You can thus have three in a single box or six in a double, or
3 + two standard size modules (of any type). The sockets themselves are
separate and clip onto the back, so you can have 1, 2 or 3 populated.
They even do a 6-way high density module (2 std modules), but it's
expensive and I've never used it.

They're not cheap, but they were little/no more expensive than the
normal sized modules, and IMHO look pretty good. To get the price break
I bought enough to do the house. Rooms that only need two lines (phone +
network) will have one 'dummy,' without a socket behind it.

HTH,

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org

tom w

Just for future reference, the parts from RS work a treat, and match the
other Logic Plus fittings well (although they seem to be a marginally
brighter white than the power sockets).
Stock numbers (from www.rs-components.co.uk):

340-7044 - Faceplates (Logic Plus, single socket size, 2 ports, white)
210-5321 - Adaptors (to fit RJ45 modules into the faceplate, white)
241-8251 - RJ45 Sockets (Krone, white shutter)

Cheers

Tom

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message
In article , Lobster