Alex Bird

Default Silicone Sealant

Arggh,
I've just done my first seal with this stuff, along the edge of the
bath. I followed advice from the faq and various people.
It's not bad, I've seen a lot worse, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
My main problem seems to be creasing. I worked very quickly, but
this stuff seems to form a skin _very_ quickly.
The specific brand was the 'sanitary silicone' from screwfix, is this
an especially fast silicone?

Cheers,
Alex
John

"Alex Bird" wrote in message
om...
Arggh,
I've just done my first seal with this stuff, along the edge of the
bath. I followed advice from the faq and various people.
It's not bad, I've seen a lot worse, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
My main problem seems to be creasing. I worked very quickly, but
this stuff seems to form a skin _very_ quickly.
The specific brand was the 'sanitary silicone' from screwfix, is this
an especially fast silicone?

Cheers,
Alex

I have used this stuff many, many times without any problems. I think (as
it was your first seal) you have waited too long before smoothing it with
your finger or whatever you used, maybe because you applied it slower than
'normal'. Was it the end you started at that creased? If it is really
bothering you the only remedies to creasing is either put more over the top,
if it's not going to look too bad, or scrape it out and start again.

HTH

John

Aenuff

"Alex Bird" wrote in message
om...
Arggh,
I've just done my first seal with this stuff, along the edge of the
bath. I followed advice from the faq and various people.
It's not bad, I've seen a lot worse, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
My main problem seems to be creasing. I worked very quickly, but
this stuff seems to form a skin _very_ quickly.
The specific brand was the 'sanitary silicone' from screwfix, is this
an especially fast silicone?

Cheers,
Alex

Dip your finger dip it in a 50:50 solution of washing up liquid and water
first, then run it down the silicone.

HTH

MB

A fast way of applying the 50:50 solution is to have some in a spray bottle;
start at one end and spray along. Then you start with the edge tool at one
end (the right end if you're right-handed) and take off the excess. THEN
you wipe the edge tool on your shirt--- errr, or paper towel.

PoP

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:59:57 -0000, Ziggur wrote:

Then wipe your finger down the front of your shirt.
It's what all good silicone men do

Sod that. I have a pair of jeans to handle the spills

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:27:40 +0100, "MB" wrote:
A fast way of applying the 50:50 solution is to have some in a spray bottle;
start at one end and spray along. Then you start with the edge tool at one
end (the right end if you're right-handed) and take off the excess. THEN
you wipe the edge tool on your shirt--- errr, or paper towel.

Don't do what I did, wipe on bog paper, stick bog paper down bog, and not flush.
A few days later, nice lumps of silicone stuck inside bog .........

Rick

Alex Bird

"John" wrote in message ...

I have used this stuff many, many times without any problems. I think (as
it was your first seal) you have waited too long before smoothing it with
your finger or whatever you used, maybe because you applied it slower than
'normal'.

I didn't stand back and look, really, I didn't wait.
The gun I've borrowed doesn't dispense a lot on each pull (I have used
one before for some other product), I ran a thumb along to even out
the spread before using the detergent dipped thumb to smooth it off.
I suppose that delay could be the problem, along with uneven spread.

Was it the end you started at that creased?

Mainly

If it is really
bothering you the only remedies to creasing is either put more over the top,
if it's not going to look too bad, or scrape it out and start again.

It's fully functional, doesn't look that bad and I've had enough of
the bathroom now. Of course I'd like to do it again, but I don't have
the time or the sealant.
How well does adding to the top work ? Presumably if it's fresh and
clean it'll stick quite well to itself. I need to add a section at
one end when I've done a little woodwork.

Cheers,
Alex

Rick Hughes

"Alex Bird" wrote in message
om...
Arggh,
I've just done my first seal with this stuff, along the edge of the
bath. I followed advice from the faq and various people.
It's not bad, I've seen a lot worse, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
My main problem seems to be creasing. I worked very quickly, but
this stuff seems to form a skin _very_ quickly.
The specific brand was the 'sanitary silicone' from screwfix, is this

I wrote a FAQ on sealant for UK Selfbuild it's on the web site if you want
it
http://tinyurl.com/2bce3

A useful tip is to take a trigger spray of water and add some washing up
liquid .... spray this on top of the Silicone and it will smooth out much
better.

Rick

marsden

Rick Hughes wrote:
I wrote a FAQ on sealant for UK Selfbuild it's on the web site if you want
it
http://tinyurl.com/2bce3

The link doesn't work for me. Is it correct?

Cheers

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address
Alex Bird

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message ...

I wrote a FAQ on sealant for UK Selfbuild it's on the web site if you want
it
http://tinyurl.com/2bce3

This seems to be broken...

I've done some more now, and the things I think I was doing wrong
we

1. Not using a tool to smooth down. My thumb is quite small (see 2).

2. Doing a very thick seal. This was because of the gap between one
of the boards behind the bath and the bath, not put in by me I hasten
to add! 1/2" vertically and horizontally, if you see what I mean,
looks big.

3. Faffing, not getting more lighting, practising more, usual stuff.

I've done some nicer bits now to show up the old bit, even managed the
bit around the overflow:
(cue boring picture)http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ceeadqb/sealant.jpg

Thanks for everyones' help,
Alex
John

"Alex Bird" wrote in message
om...
I've done some nicer bits now to show up the old bit, even managed the
bit around the overflow:
(cue boring picture)http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ceeadqb/sealant.jpg

http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ceeadqb/sealant.jpg

Is that a 15mm copper pipe and overflowing into the bath, from where?

BTW when smoothing silicone I always use my middle finger, gives a much
better finish, so the wife says anyway!!

HTH

John

Alex Bird

"John" wrote in message ...

http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ceeadqb/sealant.jpg

Is that a 15mm copper pipe and overflowing into the bath, from where?

No that's a 22mm copper pipe, from the cold water tank. It was
leading into the bath waste, via some 'special' uphill plumbing which
is best not mentioned. It was either put it over the bath, or wreck
the bathroom taking it outside.

BTW when smoothing silicone I always use my middle finger, gives a much
better finish, so the wife says anyway!!

There could be something in that. As long as you've got a digit
fatter than the bead you're trying to smooth I reckon you're okay.

Alex

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , mindwipe
wrote:

i used a good quality one last time and still got black stains
can ne1 suggest what i get them off with

Who is Nel?

Who/what are you responding to?

Why are you posting upside down and leaving all the previous irrelevance in
situ?

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 10:57 AM
Black sanitary silicone sealant? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 13 February 19th 04 08:20 PM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 09:49 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 11:03 AM
coloured silicone sealant Pete Cross UK diy 7 November 19th 03 03:13 PM