Reestit Mutton

Default bathroom sealant

Hi,

I've recently renewed the sealant in my bathroom as the old stuff was
covered in mould.

However, although I filled the bath with water before using the sealant
and left it for almost 24 hours before emptying it and using the
over-bath shower, it seems that every time weight is applied to the
bath, a large open crack appears in the sealant.

Similarly, when I run my finger along the sealant above the sink that
was renewed a few days earlier, bits of it come away on my finger.

Should I have left the bath sealant a lot longer before emptying the
bath and using the over-bath shower (it *seemed* dry to me) or is it
possible that the sealant (although advertised as for kitchens and
bathrooms) is just plain rubbish? - It was a B&Q branded sealant.

FWIW, both areas were stripped of the old sealant, cleaned and dried
before the new sealant was applied.

cheers,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Roger Mills

"Reestit Mutton" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds to me as if your bath isn't supported properly - if it moves
enough to disturb the sealant when you stand in it. Are you sure that all of
its supporting feet are properly wound down onto something solid?

In addition, the surfaces to which you apply the sealant must be clean and
dry for it to stick properly. This can be difficult to achieve - if there
was old sealant there previously, and in the presence of water and steam -
but it is still essential!

Roger

BillR

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I'd aggree with that. .
In addition, the surfaces to which you apply the sealant must be
clean and dry for it to stick properly. This can be difficult to
achieve - if there was old sealant there previously, and in the
presence of water and steam - but it is still essential!

Roger

Maybe a highly elastic sealant (low modulus) would help but in my opinion
the movement should be minimised before sealing. i.e. support the bath
underneath with e.g. bricks and build a decent timber frame to support the
dge.
This is another point where steel baths are better; the edges are squarer so
they are easier to seal and they don't flex like the plastic ones

Tim Mitchell

In article , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

Sounds to me like the sealant you've used is acrylic or partly acrylic
rather than silicone. You need to use "sanitary grade silicone", you
will recognise it because it's the most expensive stuff on the rack! It
is very flexible and should take up a lot of movement. Stinks of vinegar
while curing.
--
Tim Mitchell
John Rumm

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Sounds to me like the sealant you've used is acrylic or partly acrylic
rather than silicone. You need to use "sanitary grade silicone", you
will recognise it because it's the most expensive stuff on the rack! It
is very flexible and should take up a lot of movement. Stinks of vinegar
while curing.

failing that - order from screwfix and it is usually cheaper than the
naff acrylic offerings from the sheds!

Cheers,

John.

R W

Reestit Mutton wrote:
[...]

I've just had EXACTLY the same problem with unibond sealant.

It appears to have set much more brittle and coarse on the surface than
kitchen/bathroom sealant I've used before, what would cause that?

R W

Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

The unibond one I used says it is water based acrylic kitchen/bathroom
sealant. Says it is waterproof when dry. And shows a picture of someone
applying it around a bath on the tube.....

Tim Mitchell

In article , R W
writes
Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

Well, all sealants are waterproof, but all are not created equal. If you
use the expensive silicone you will not have the problem. Some of the
cheaper ones are OK too but it's such a pain scraping it off, you may as
well spend a few quid more and use the best stuff. Your choice...
--
Tim Mitchell
Bob Mannix

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , R W
writes

snip

Well, all sealants are waterproof, but all are not created equal. If you
use the expensive silicone you will not have the problem. Some of the
cheaper ones are OK too but it's such a pain scraping it off, you may as
well spend a few quid more and use the best stuff. Your choice...

Quite - I apply the rule of thumb of dividing the "Guaranteed for X years"
figure by 5 to get the true figure. "Guaranteed for 25 years", for example,
means it may last 5 if you're lucky, and so on.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Bob Smith

The unibond one I used says it is water based acrylic kitchen/bathroom
sealant. Says it is waterproof when dry. And shows a picture of someone
applying it around a bath on the tube.....

I used an acrylic one about 3 months ago, said it was for bathrooms. It is
still soft, and you can put permanent dents in it with your fingernail.
Part of it is coming away with mould growing behind it. That is in the
shower end of the bath, the sink I did at the same time is OK (less water
around).

At least it will be easy to scrape off so I can put silicone on, it seems to
have the consistency of putty. Is cheap silicone any good, or is £6-7 the
minimum you should pay?

Bob

Andy Hall

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:25:57 -0000, "Bob Smith" wrote:

The unibond one I used says it is water based acrylic kitchen/bathroom
sealant. Says it is waterproof when dry. And shows a picture of someone
applying it around a bath on the tube.....

I used an acrylic one about 3 months ago, said it was for bathrooms. It is
still soft, and you can put permanent dents in it with your fingernail.
Part of it is coming away with mould growing behind it. That is in the
shower end of the bath, the sink I did at the same time is OK (less water
around).

At least it will be easy to scrape off so I can put silicone on, it seems to
have the consistency of putty. Is cheap silicone any good, or is £6-7 the
minimum you should pay?

Bob

I've used the acrylic one in the past and found it to be a dead loss
as well.

Nowadays I always buy a decent silicone and never have any problems.
Considering that it is only a couple of pounds more than the cheap
brands, I don't think it is worth messing about.

Another thing that I have found really useful, since I have an air
compressor, is a pneumatic mastic gun. These are really cheap but
very effective - Axminster have them as stock code B41CG at £9.40

There is an adjustment knob on the side to control the delivery rate
and the gun then produces very clean and consistent runs of silicone
completely repeatably. I found that my success with the spring and
trigger type was not that great, but this does a really good job.
It's also very effective for other materials such as Gripfill or
anything else that comes in a cartridge.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
R W

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Sounds to me like the sealant you've used is acrylic or partly
acrylic rather than silicone. You need to use "sanitary grade
silicone", you will recognise it because it's the most expensive
stuff on the rack! It
is very flexible and should take up a lot of movement. Stinks of
vinegar while curing.

The unibond one I used says it is water based acrylic
kitchen/bathroom sealant. Says it is waterproof when dry. And shows
a picture of someone applying it around a bath on the tube.....

Well, all sealants are waterproof, but all are not created equal. If
you use the expensive silicone you will not have the problem. Some of
the cheaper ones are OK too but it's such a pain scraping it off, you
may as well spend a few quid more and use the best stuff. Your
choice...

Well, yes, but the expensive silicone is what I thought I was buying!

Troy

OK - I've read the thread and as I'm about to seal my newly installed bath
I need advice.

What is the best sealant to use (brand please)? Cost no problem - I want to
do a good job.

TIA.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Tim Mitchell

In article , Troy
writes
OK - I've read the thread and as I'm about to seal my newly installed bath
I need advice.

What is the best sealant to use (brand please)? Cost no problem - I want to
do a good job.

Dow Corning
--
Tim Mitchell