Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Outstalling a CH boiler

On 28/05/2021 12:29, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
*** John Rumm wrote:
There is actually a resonable range of boilers designed for external
installation. They include their own enclosure and don't need another
building round them. Worceter do some, as do Grant, Rianni.

How would that compare, cost wise, against paying a pro to install a
conventional boiler indoors?

The external boilers seem to be a bit more expensive than the internal
ones. For example checking one oil model of the WB shows it is about
£200 more for the external one.

If paying for installation, there might arguably be a little bit less
work doing an external one (no flue hole to core drill) assuming there
is already an adequate base in place for it to be sited on.

I guess the main attraction would be less space lost in a kitchen, and
less noise.

In the case of oil boilers less smell

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2021 13:22, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2021 12:29:33 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I guess the main attraction would be less space lost in a kitchen, and
less noise.

A disadvantage could be any heat lost from the boiler itself,
especially in the winter, if there was no need to heat the outbuilding
(other than for it's own frost protection)?

With a modern condenser there is very little heat lost from the boiler
itself (at least on gas ones anyway). You would be hard pushed on mine
to find any bit of it more than just slightly warm to the touch.

The only heating my Mum has in her kitchen is the boiler and the oven
/ stove if on and the flow / return pipes 'passing though' [1]. ;-)

Old conventional boilers would leak sever hundred watt into the room.

[1] And the fridge freezer?

Whatever its motor power consumption is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?B?UmU6IMOiPz9PdXRzdGFsbGluZ8OiPz8gYSBDSCBib2lsZX I=?=

On 28/05/2021 18:22, Andrew wrote:
On 27/05/2021 20:31, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/05/2021 13:05, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 27/05/2021 11:35, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Don't see it makes any difference. Unsafe work is unsafe work no
matter
where you put it.

It might reduce the value of the claim the insurer declines to pay.

Theo

Perhaps, but since they won't pay out it is somewhat irrelevant.

Shockwaves from an explosion can still do a lot of damage. Neighbours
will also have a valid claim against anyone whose boiler explodes.

Claim for what ?. A safe installation by a competent person
is unlikely to cause any problems. All the incidents of
major gas explosions have been caused either by gross
incompetence, or intentional.

Everyone thinks they are competent and safe.
Even the people who are grossly incompetent.
An event like this is not a good way to find that out.

Theo

Headed for a Darwin award usually unless they really do know what they
are doing (in which case they could install it properly).

What event? Im asking a hypothetical question as to what constitutes
installation and whether an outstallation would be exempt from
normal
building regs etc.

You will only find out when your "safe" gas installation fails and
your insurer's loss adjusters laugh in your face. It happened near me
and what was left of the house afterwards remained as charred and
blackened warning for would be gas DIYers for many years afterwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellerbeck

Telephone kiosks used to explode with monotonous regularity in the
good old days. Gas leaks found their way into telecoms ducts and
sparks from the old pulse dialing mechanism would eventually provide
the spark. It was particularly bad after the conversion to natural gas
which was drier than towns gas started causing the joint seals to
contract.

Boilers do not explode. Gas leaking into a compartment and reaching
the percentage that can explode, might, if a source of ignition happens.

Indeed, the most likely way you will cause injury with a boiler is to
not correctly fit the flue such that combustion by-products are vented
inside the building.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2021 23:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/05/2021 13:22, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2021 12:29:33 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I guess the main attraction would be less space lost in a kitchen, and
less noise.

A disadvantage could be any heat lost from the boiler itself,
especially in the winter, if there was no need to heat the outbuilding
(other than for it's own frost protection)?

With a modern condenser there is very little heat lost from the boiler
itself (at least on gas ones anyway). You would be hard pushed on mine
to find any bit of it more than just slightly warm to the touch.

The only heating my Mum has in her kitchen is the boiler and the oven
/ stove if on and the flow / return pipes 'passing though' [1]. ;-)

Old conventional boilers would leak sever hundred watt into the room.

The class 2 flue blocks in my house went up through the bedroom above
the baxi bermuda back boiler and allowed the buider to fit a rad
only 2/3rds of the size of the one in the other identically-sized
bedroom. After I added just an inch of celotex on the inside of the
front (north) wall of this bedroom, even before I refitted the rad I
noticed that even in really cold weather, that the heat from these flue
blocks kept this bedroom comfortably warm.