Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stockpiling boilers

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 18/05/2021 21:02, Adrian wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
I seem to recall there is an experimental village somewhere in the UK
where they are trialling this.

I think it is on the site of RAF Spadeadam in Cumbria

I think near the RAF station but not on it. ISTR it's on a site long
used for testing things that go bang.

but they weren't intended to go bang on site

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?Re=3a_Stockpiling_boilers=e2=80=a6?=

On 18/05/2021 19:30, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient -
which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ...
and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

It's hard to beat heat pump efficiency of 200-400%, even with transmission
losses.

Theo

Well it's not *that* hard, when you look at say a gas plant operating
under the sort of whores drawers regime imposed by renewable
intermittency, and around 45% efficiency. Then take 20% of that off for
transmission and you are down to 36% efficiency at the consumer unit.

200% nets you only a notional 72% overall efficiency, and no heatpump
will net you 400% in WINTER when you really need it - 300% at best.

So I doubt that it really makes much difference.

Especially since in winter we burn a lot of fossil fuel at the power
stations.

It makes perfect sense when we go 100% nuclear, however.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?B?UmU6IFN0b2NrcGlsaW5nIGJvaWxlcnPDosKAwqY=?=

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more to
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do to
our descendants.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:58:56 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 18/05/2021 09:31, Tim+ wrote:
In the light of plans to stop new gas or oil boilers being fitted after
2025 how many folk are considering buying a spare boiler? ;-)

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059.

Im assuming that only professional installs can be banned.

It could be banned under building regulations (which already make
fitting a new gas boiler notifiable).

I had a new (replacement) gas CH boiler professionally (Gas Safe)
installed in m-i-ls house just over a year ago. No mention of having
to notify building control. Who is supposed to be notified?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:
I had a new (replacement) gas CH boiler professionally (Gas Safe)
installed in m-i-ls house just over a year ago. No mention of having
to notify building control. Who is supposed to be notified?

"If your Gas Safe registered business has installed a heat producing
appliance (such as a boiler or fire), theyll need to comply with the
regulations and notify (self-certify) these appliances with the relevant
local authority within 30 days of installation. If youre a homeowner, its
also up to you to ensure the Building Regulations are adhered to by making
sure your engineer notifies the installation.

How to get a Building Regulations Certificate

Your Gas Safe registered engineer just needs to notify through Gas Safe
Register. Once theyve done this, we will inform your local authority and
youll receive your Building Regulations Compliance Certificate in the post
in 10-15 working days."

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/he...s-certificate/

(I'm not sure if the 'Building Regulations Compliance Certificate' is
actually a thing that must be produced by law, or a nice piece of paper
marketed by Gas Safe to keep householders and conveyancers happy. I think
the notification is the main thing)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 11:36, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 18/05/2021 09:45, Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/05/2021 09:37, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 9:31:34 AM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

In the light of plans to stop new gas or oil boilers being fitted after
2025 how many folk are considering buying a spare boiler? ;-)

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059.

Im assuming that only professional installs can be banned.

A non-professional gas installation voids your household insurance.
There was a spectacular one went bang round here about a decade ago.
The burnt out remains of the house sat unloved for years afterwards.

Boilers that can be converted to using hydrogen are to be exempt.

Persuading hydrogen to stay inside the existing gas distribution pipes
is going to be interesting (Chinese usage).

Maybe use Ammonia.* Easy leak detection.

Currently the production of ammonia is very energy intensive.

https://ammoniaindustry.com/ammonia-...ghg-emissions/

"Ammonia production causes 1% of total global GHG emissions"

and

"North American producers emit, on average, 2.129 tons CO2 per ton NH3
produced. North American producers emit more CO2 per ton ammonia than
most but, on the other hand, Chinese producers emit, on average, 4.429
tons CO2 per ton NH3 produced. Again, this data relates to 2010."

I really can't see it happening as a serious fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 12:01, Tim+ wrote:
Spike wrote:
On 18/05/2021 09:40, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Making a nuclear weapon is a very very skilled exercise in precision
mechanics.

You need to machine the elements to fit exactly without being able to
put them together first, and then design an explosive detonator to slam
them all together at exactly the same time

Not if you just grind it into dust and scatter it or blow it up with
conventional explosives.

The Germans had an idea of delivering such material by rocket to New
York in WWII, and later I believe Saddam had a similar idea. However, it
hasn't been followed up. perhaps because it is an inefficient method of
delivery and doubtless modelling suggested it isn't particularly
effective except as a means of causing panic.

Which is all you need for terrorism

Tim

Ricin or home made nerve gas is much cheaper and more easily obtainable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2021 13:20, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

That's usually because they use the same steam reformation process that
is typically used to produce Hydrogen from natural gas. That is a fairly
cheap and moderately energy intensive, but also also produces lots of CO2.

An alternative is to use electrolysis to to split sea water into H and
O2, and then produce the ammonia from that "green" hydrogen. However
cost wise this is usually far higher because it uses about 8 times the
energy just to generate the hydrogen.

However the argument goes that if you have some non dispatchable
intermittent generation capacity (i.e. wind. / solar etc) then that
could be a good way of utilising that "difficult to use" energy source
to accumulate a liquid fuel stock that can be stored and transported
relatively easily.

Countries like Iceland already use surplus hydroelectric energy to
produce ammonia for fertiliser production using this method.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient -
which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ...
and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

It's hard to beat heat pump efficiency of 200-400%, even with transmission
losses.

Theo

But per kWhr, electricity is a lot more expensive than gas.

Tim

Only because the cost of all the 'green' stuff, plus all the
'warm house' freebies handed out to people on benefits are
loaded onto electricity bills. Maybe it is time to spread
them over gas and electric bills ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more to
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do to
our descendants.

The only thing that is definately going to make a difference to future
generations is the population of planet earth and the demands they will
impose on it for water, food, housing, healthcare, employment,...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
On 18/05/2021 09:31, Tim+ wrote:
In the light of plans to stop new gas or oil boilers being fitted after
2025 how many folk are considering buying a spare boiler? ;-)

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059.

Im assuming that only professional installs can be banned.

Tim

I cannot imagine why anyoto mention the ne would want to do such a thing.

To avoid future fuel poverty?

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more to
run will not be popular.

Tim

Not to mention the cost and other practical problems with electric cars.
If I live long enough I may well buy a diesel car about a year before
they stop being produced, but that date may well be delayed because of a
failure to upgrade the electricity supply system.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 18/05/2021 21:24, Robin wrote:
I think near the RAF station but not on it.* ISTR it's on a site
long used for testing things that go bang.

I think these days it is used for annoying or exercising electrons.

I thought wrong. I recalled it was a company rather than HMG facility.
But it is on the RAF site. I apologise for doubting you.

No problem.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

per kWhr, electricity is a lot more expensive than gas.

Only because the cost of all the 'green' stuff, plus all the
'warm house' freebies handed out to people on benefits are
loaded onto electricity bills. Maybe it is time to spread
them over gas and electric bills ?.

The climate change levy does apply to gas, LPG and solid fuels, albeit
at lower rates than for electricity.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/climate-change-levy-rates#main-rates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us.

Dead right it isn't. Or to our descendents. But greeny ******** is going
to make everyone a lot poorer; reduce standards of living, and worsen
health.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 17:49, Steve Walker wrote:
On 18/05/2021 16:56, AJH wrote:
On 18/05/2021 14:34, John Rumm wrote:
What always intrigues me about pieces like that, is how they all
gloss over the fact that the renewables industry in the UK is
dependant on gas for balancing load and intermittent supply.

Surely the reason for not having domestic gas boilers is that* there
is far more utility in burning it in a combined cycle electricity
generator, possibly linked to some district heating than just heating
water up to 80C and circulating it. Thus some may still be available
to fill in the gaps renewables leave.

Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient -
which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ...
and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

Your 94% efficient boiler just produces heat, the combined cycle
generator turns 60ish% of that heat into electricity that is
dispatch-able and a deal of the low grade heat at 50ishC could be used
in district heating. If the trend is to go electric there is far more
utility in generating electricity from gas when the grid demands it
that using it in domestic boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2021 17:55, Andrew wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient -
which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ...
and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

It's hard to beat heat pump efficiency of 200-400%, even with
transmission
losses.

But per kWhr, electricity is a lot more expensive than gas.

Only because the cost of all the 'green' stuff, plus all the
'warm house' freebies handed out to people on benefits are
loaded onto electricity bills. Maybe it is time to spread
them over gas and electric bills ?.

No, it's because of the second law of thermodynamics.

Efficiency = (input temp - output temp)/(input temp) for a heat engine.

A gas power station is 30-50% efficient, the rest being waste heat
unless you can use it for something like district heating.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default =?Windows-1252?Q?_Stockpiling_boilers=E2=3F=A6?=

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do to
our descendants.

It will improve things for the vast bulk of those on that soggy
little frigid island and most of the rest of the world too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient -
which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ...
and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

It's hard to beat heat pump efficiency of 200-400%, even with
transmission
losses.

But per kWhr, electricity is a lot more expensive than gas.

Only because the cost of all the 'green' stuff, plus all the
'warm house' freebies handed out to people on benefits are
loaded onto electricity bills. Maybe it is time to spread
them over gas and electric bills ?.

No, it's because of the second law of thermodynamics.

Efficiency = (input temp - output temp)/(input temp) for a heat engine.

A gas power station is 30-50% efficient, the rest being waste heat
unless you can use it for something like district heating.

A combined cycle plant should get your generating efficiency up into the
50% - 60% range.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?_Stockpiling_boilers=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=A6?=

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do to
our descendants.

The only thing that is definately going to make a difference to future
generations is the population of planet earth and the demands they will
impose on it for water, food, housing, healthcare, employment,...

And that is fixing itself with no policy change what so ever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"williamwright" wrote in message
The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us.

Dead right it isn't. Or to our descendents.

Yep.

But greeny ******** is going to make everyone a lot poorer;

Nope, wont make me and hordes of others a lot poorer.

reduce standards of living,

Nope, not going to reduce mine or hordes of others standard of living.

and worsen health.

Nope, it will have no effect what so ever on my health and hordes of others.

Forcing people to walk more will in fact improve the health of many.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:06:43 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 May 2021 15:01:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 May 2021 09:39:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
*** williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills.* Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs
more to
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well
do to
our descendants.

The only thing that is definately going to make a difference to future
generations is the population of planet earth and the demands they
will impose on it for water, food, housing, healthcare, employment,...

And that is fixing itself with no policy change what so ever.

BS. The population is still going UP and will hit 11 billion at some
point. That is 40% more than now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2021 12:35, Andrew wrote:
On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
*** williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Peak is predicted to be 9.4bn in 2070, then starting to fall.

It is already falling in the developed world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2021 23:23, Max Demian wrote:
A gas power station is 30-50% efficient, the rest being waste heat
unless you can use it for something like district heating.

no, its 40-70% efficient actually

and heat pumps are effectively 200-300% efficient in their use of
electricity and environmental energy to create heat

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing
everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more
run will not be popular.

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed
will be more brainwashing.

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2
isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do
our descendants.

The only thing that is definately going to make a difference to future
generations is the population of planet earth and the demands they will
impose on it for water, food, housing, healthcare, employment,...

And that is fixing itself with no policy change what so ever.

BS.

We'll see...

The population is still going UP

But birth rates are dropping dramatically EVERYWHERE
except when they are already right down in the noise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#1950_and_2015

And India and China COMBINED, by far the two most
populous countries arent even self replacing anymore.

and will hit 11 billion at some point.

And will then have peaked and will start dropping.

That is 40% more than now.

We handled the previous 40% increase fine and went
from inevitable periodic famine in droughts to now
only with a problem when the place has deteriorated
into the most obscene levels of civil war and civil chaos
so that food cant be delivered or have been stupid
enough to let some fool like Kim Jong Il rule the roost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 20/05/2021 12:35, Andrew wrote:
On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

And in India and China combined too. By far the two most populous countrys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 May 2021 08:49:09 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2021 23:49, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
*** williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

73,000 babies are born every day in India right now.
Their Covid death rate is insignificant by comparison.

and will hit 11 billion at some point.

And will then have peaked and will start dropping.

Too late. Far too late. Wake up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/05/2021 23:49, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 20/05/2021 05:06, Joey wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 18/05/2021 23:15, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Far fewer than in 1950, half as many in fact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#1950_and_2015

Their Covid death rate is insignificant by comparison.

and will hit 11 billion at some point.

And will then have peaked and will start dropping.

Too late. Far too late.

Bull****.

Wake up.

You're the one that needs to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2021 15:49:11 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 12:30, Pancho wrote:
How do we check that out boiler installer did this?

*All of my past gas boiler fitting appears in the building control
section of my local council's website (Complete with the Gas Safe reg codes)