Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimping etc

Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't
do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does
anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The
screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink plus
solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire but my
soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over how well
they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink will help,
and perhaps they use an active flux.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't
do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does
anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The
screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

My experience is that there's not a lot of correlation between price
and quality. I have three or four tools for insulated crimps, mostly
bought on price, but I have one CK branded one which was (a little)
more expensive and is by far the worst of them. I think my 'go to'
one is one I bought from CPC quite a while ago.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 21:40, newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't
do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does
anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The
screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink plus
solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire but my
soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over how well
they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink will help,
and perhaps they use an active flux.

A bigclive test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxEdyW8RP8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't
do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does
anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The
screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

If you're referring to car wiring - flex rather than solid core mains -
get the correct terminals and crimp tool from the likes of Vehicle Wiring
Products. I've seen lots of failures on cars due to using those
pre-insulated terminals - they are not gas tight and corrode in time. As
well as looking a cheap bodge.

--
*My wife and I had words. But I didn't get to use mine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2021 10:01, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2021 21:40, newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I
don't do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but
does anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well?
The screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink
plus solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire but
my soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over how
well they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink will
help, and perhaps they use an active flux.

A bigclive test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxEdyW8RP8

interesting...more like Woods metal than solder

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2021 10:01, alan_m wrote:
Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink
plus solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire but
my soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over how
well they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink will
help, and perhaps they use an active flux.

They are not new.

I remember Tandy selling "solder with a match" tape in the late 70s.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't
do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does
anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The
screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

If you're referring to car wiring - flex rather than solid core mains -
get the correct terminals and crimp tool from the likes of Vehicle Wiring
Products. I've seen lots of failures on cars due to using those
pre-insulated terminals - they are not gas tight and corrode in time. As
well as looking a cheap bodge.

Fair point, but the work I was doing was around the leisure battery box
in the "inside" area, so less potentially exposed than most car wiring.
The voltage sensitive relay kit that I fitted (it's Euro 4, no smart
alternator) came with some of the cabling, including a "proper" sealed
terminal at the main battery connection. My understanding (correct me if
I am wrong) is that the pre-insulated terminals are rated for flex as
well as solid conduction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2021 10:01, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2021 21:40, newshound wrote:
Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name
ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I
don't do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model,
but does anyone have any recommendations for something that performs
well? The screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink
plus solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire
but my soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over
how well they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink
will help, and perhaps they use an active flux.

A bigclive test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxEdyW8RP8

interesting...more like Woods metal than solder

Indeed. I'm guessing that to melt "real" solder properly you would risk
burning the heat shrink. Sort of impressive, but I don't think I'll
bother to get any.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
My understanding (correct me if
I am wrong) is that the pre-insulated terminals are rated for flex as
well as solid conduction.

Fit one using the best crimp tool that exists. Now cut off the insulation
and look at the crimp. Compare to one on the OEM car loom.

--
*DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2021 20:27, newshound wrote:
[...]

Probably not. But possibly beyond te range of a heat gun

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

more like Woods metal than solder

Indeed. I'm guessing that to melt "real" solder properly you would risk
burning the heat shrink. Sort of impressive, but I don't think I'll
bother to get any.

Get the self-igniting version instead ...

https://youtu.be/Em33_LSpeko?t=405
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Indeed. I'm guessing that to melt "real" solder properly you would risk
burning the heat shrink. Sort of impressive, but I don't think I'll
bother to get any.

They're sold by respectable companies as well as FaceBook etc ads. ;-)

I've got some and they seem OK - assuming the wire is perfectly clean,
which older stuff may not be. But then I'd not have a joint in anything I
considered critical.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
My understanding (correct me if
I am wrong) is that the pre-insulated terminals are rated for flex as
well as solid conduction.

Fit one using the best crimp tool that exists. Now cut off the insulation
and look at the crimp. Compare to one on the OEM car loom.

In the past I've investigated crimped and silver soldered "industrial"
terminations by sectioning for metallographic and SEM investigation. I
recognise that my recent stuff might not meet OEM standards, but I
reckon I can make reliable crimped or soft soldered connections for loas
of 4 amp or so in flex rated for 40A.

Powered crimping tool equivalent to COPALUM tool Harry Muscle Home Ownership 19 April 30th 16 05:44 PM
Bathtub, surround quandry...acrylic, fiberglass, Swanstone, Veritek, etc.etc.etc. [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 13th 07 08:32 AM
Crimping, A Warning bob UK diy 16 May 3rd 05 08:51 AM
which way round to use ratchet crimping tool? Al Reynolds UK diy 10 February 12th 04 09:22 AM
crimping cat5 cable [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 28th 03 06:02 PM