Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw lessons

As I mentioned my Bosch 1750W electric chainsaw died a while back. I
asked a local chap, Eric, €” who has a tree surgeon business €” for
advice, and I struck gold. I'd got it in my head that I needed a long
blade and a powerful machine. He gently steered me into one of his
storerooms, where he has approx 20 saws of various types. Once I'd used
a big machine of the type I thought I wanted I realised immediately that
it was too heavy and cumbersome for me. It would also be unnecessary.
He took me to a chainsaw shop where he is a major customer and I ended
up buying:
A Stihl MS-180 saw with 14" blade
5 litre chain oil
Plastic fuel can
5 litres petrol
Chainsaw file kit
Helmet
3 x 100mm two stroke oil
3 round chainsaw files
Chainsaw gloves

Eric gave me some ballistic nylon PPE.

Now I'm having lessons from him in chainsaw use and maintenance. Having
used chainsaws for 40 years I thought I had no more to learn. How wrong
I was. I'm astonished. There's so much more to this than I knew. I now
believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on a course.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"williamwright" wrote in message
[...]

What did you learn that you didnt already know ?

I now believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on a
course.

Dunno, cant see why the knowledge needs to be learned that way.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

Less than half the price of the Makita DUC353Z if you
dont already have the Makita batterys and charger too.

I hate small petrol engines tho and the electric ones are
much better when up a ladder etc when starting etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 00:59, Rod Speed wrote:
What did you learn that you didnt already know ?

Mainly refinements of technique to increase work flow, safety methods,
care of the machine, maintenance. Much about PPE. Different types of
chain for different jobs. All sorts of little hints and tips.

I now believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on
a course.

Dunno, cant see why the knowledge needs to be learned that way.

It's much better than trying to teach yourself. If you get a more
experienced person to teach you, methodically, that IS 'going on a course'.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely
flies through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my
part. A revelation after the electric one.

Less than half the price of the Makita DUC353Z if you
dont already have the Makita batterys and charger too.

I hate small petrol engines tho and the electric ones are
much better when up a ladder etc when starting etc.

You never start it when you aren't on the ground. You start it and lock
the blade until you want use it. In any case, using a chainsaw on a
ladder is dodgy. Ladders are for access; they aren't for prolonged work.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What did you learn that you didnt already know ?

Mainly refinements of technique to increase work flow, safety methods,
care of the machine, maintenance. Much about PPE. Different types of chain
for different jobs. All sorts of little hints and tips.

I now believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on a
course.

Dunno, cant see why the knowledge needs to be learned that way.

It's much better than trying to teach yourself.

I'm not convinced with that stuff you listed.
It can all be spelt out in documentation.

If you get a more experienced person to teach you, methodically, that IS
'going on a course'.

Sure, but I wasnt talking about that as an alternative.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

Less than half the price of the Makita DUC353Z if you
dont already have the Makita batterys and charger too.

I hate small petrol engines tho and the electric ones are
much better when up a ladder etc when starting etc.

You never start it when you aren't on the ground.

You do if it stope when you are up the ladder using it.

You start it and lock the blade until you want use it.

Even worse to have to climb down and back up
again when it stops when you are on the ladder.

In any case, using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

There is no alternative at times.

Ladders are for access; they aren't for prolonged work.

Its more complicated than that with chainsaw use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

He took me to a chainsaw shop

The first rule of 'chainsaw shop' is ...

Sounding like chainsaws are the new angle grinders

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2021 00:00:20 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

snip

Having
used chainsaws for 40 years I thought I had no more to learn. How wrong
I was. I'm astonished. There's so much more to this than I knew.

snip

Now there is a surprise. Now maybe try applying that to others things
you assumed you fully understood ... ?

https://ibb.co/zQF3SZw

'Ignorance is bliss'? (well, other than in the case of a chainsaw and
when it takes your arm off).

snip

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Now I'm having lessons from him in chainsaw use and maintenance. Having
used chainsaws for 40 years I thought I had no more to learn. How wrong
I was. I'm astonished. There's so much more to this than I knew. I now
believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on a course.

Ive never had a lesson but I *did* buy all the appropriate PPE before
using it (and always wear it) and spent a fair time watching YouTube videos
learning what not to do.

A poor substitute for formal instruction probably but I think I know enough
to keep me safe and to know my limits. Still, following your post I might
well look into doing a course. My saw has already saved me so much money
in firewood its not hard to justify the cost now.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

A new chain on the electric one might have the same effect. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2021 09:59:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

What did you learn that you didn¢t already know ?

Well, not everyone is a trolling sociopathic senile know-it-all like you,
senile Rodent!

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:49:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 00:00, williamwright wrote:

As I mentioned my Bosch 1750W electric chainsaw died a while back. I
asked a local chap, Eric, €” who has a tree surgeon business €” for
advice, and I struck gold. I'd got it in my head that I needed a long
blade and a powerful machine. He gently steered me into one of his
storerooms, where he has approx 20 saws of various types. Once I'd used
a big machine of the type I thought I wanted I realised immediately that
it was too heavy and cumbersome for me. It would also be unnecessary.
He took me to a chainsaw shop where he is a major customer and I ended

I did wonder a bit what you wanted a 20" bar for!

up buying:
A Stihl MS-180 saw with 14" blade

Yup nice saw. About 1.4 kW output, so plenty for a 12" to 14" bar.

For logging and general garden maintenance I have always found the 14"
bar to be more that adequate without needing to resort to plunge cut
techniques.

5 litre chain oil
Plastic fuel can
5 litres petrol
Chainsaw file kit
Helmet
3 x 100mm two stroke oil

I usually get the Stihl 1 litre bottle with the measuring chamber on the
top which makes it easy to make up a litre at a time at whatever ratio
you require. (but then again I don't usually make up a gallon at a time
- and not all my tools need the same oiletrol ratio)

3 round chainsaw files

Did you get a flat one for filing the rakers?

TBH, having got the electric sharpener, I have given up with files - the
the difference in cut performance is so marked compared to what I had
been able to achieve by hand in the past.

Chainsaw gloves

Eric gave me some ballistic nylon PPE.

Now I'm having lessons from him in chainsaw use and maintenance. Having
used chainsaws for 40 years I thought I had no more to learn. How wrong
I was. I'm astonished. There's so much more to this than I knew. I now
believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on a course.

Yup I picked up quite a few from a retired builder friend, who was
trained by a demolition expert.

He was good on technique and basic safe handling - but was from an age
before PPE, so I had to learn that elsewhere. (although to be fair, the
demo guys used to wear a second pair of jeans over the first to give a
bit of lower leg protection!)

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

In reality, the electric one has much the same (possibly even slightly
more) power, but is possibly less well balanced. The main improvement
will be likely down to a really sharp[1] chain, and probably better bar
oiling. (good oilers make them cut much better IME)

[1] Not only sharp, but with the rakers height filed low enough to allow
the blade edge to actually get adequate bite into the wood. I once spent
a frustrating time with what was a theoretically sharp chain, not making
much progress, and getting very fine sawdust like chips. Only after
filing the rakers (angle grinder!), was cut performance restored, and
the feeling of "ah, just like a real one!"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

I have a small electric chain saw on an extendable pole. Very useful for
this sort of job.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

The rules I work to a-

Never use chainsaw above shoulder height

Never use chainsaw from a ladder

You need extra training and skills to do either of the above safely.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 00:00, williamwright wrote:
Chainsaw file kit

I bought one o' them they there Stihl Easy File Chainsaw Chain
Sharpening Tool things, and having thought "Oh it'll be carp", changed
my mind very fast. Get one. Very easy to use, very fast, great precision
result each time.

Note: you need a different tool or at least files in the tool for
different sized chains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 13:38, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 14/05/2021 00:00, williamwright wrote:
Chainsaw file kit

I bought one o' them they there Stihl Easy File Chainsaw Chain
Sharpening Tool things, and having thought "Oh it'll be carp", changed
my mind very fast. Get one. Very easy to use, very fast, great precision
result each time.

Note: you need a different tool or at least files in the tool for
different sized chains.

Note: This is the tool with two round files and one flat file in a holder:

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...-EasyFile.aspx

You can get them lots cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHJYnMBBzA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
On 14/05/2021 00:00, williamwright wrote:
Chainsaw file kit

I bought one o' them they there Stihl Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpening
Tool things, and having thought "Oh it'll be carp

Is that a chainsaw for fish-filleting? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 09:31, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:

[...]

I was wondering how much of the efficiency is dictated by the chain
alone and how sharp the teeth are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:

I bought one o' them they there Stihl Easy File Chainsaw Chain
Sharpening Tool things, and having thought "Oh it'll be carp", changed
my mind very fast. Get one. Very easy to use, very fast, great
precision result each time.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...-EasyFile.aspx

You can get them lots cheaper.

Project Farm seemed to like the 2-in-1, if you can't justify the
motorised grinder type

https://youtu.be/BzmKwxfqjjQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used four
saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down until he
used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 14:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

I bought one o' them they there Stihl Easy File Chainsaw Chain
Sharpening Tool things, and having thought "Oh it'll be carp",
changed my mind very fast. Get one. Very easy to use, very fast,
great precision result each time.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...-EasyFile.aspx

You can get them lots cheaper.

Project Farm seemed to like the 2-in-1, if you can't justify the
motorised grinder type

https://youtu.be/BzmKwxfqjjQ

Yes, it's very very good, and there's no farting around with setup and
adjustments and electricity to be done. £25-£30 gets one it seems. Mine
was £25 including postage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 02:49, Rod Speed wrote:

I now believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been
on a course.

Dunno, cant see why the knowledge needs to be learned that way.

It's much better than trying to teach yourself.

I'm not convinced with that stuff you listed.
It can all be spelt out in documentation.

As any educationalist will tell you, a teacher is better than a book.

You never start it when you aren't on the ground.

You do if it stope when you are up the ladder using it.

No you don't. And it won't stop unless you want it to if you've learnt
to control it properly. Otherwise you're like an L Plate driver,
stalling at every junction.

You start it and lock the blade until you want use it.

Even worse to have to climb down and back up
again when it stops when you are on the ladder.

It won't if you've learnt to control it properly. Otherwise you're like
an L Plate driver, stalling at every junction.

In any case, using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

There is no alternative at times.

Agreed, but it's still dodgy.

Ladders are for access; they aren't for prolonged work.

Its more complicated than that with chainsaw use.

It's more complicated than that with most things. But avoid working from
a latter where possible.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 10:34, Andy Burns wrote:
I have a snapped-off limb that could do with a few inches trimming off
to tidy it up,

That isn't a DIY job. Go to hospital.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 09:31, Tim+ wrote:

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely flies
through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my part. A
revelation after the electric one.

A new chain on the electric one might have the same effect. ;-)

Tim

It had a new chain, there's a spare chain still in the box, and I know
how to sharpen them. I know what a blunt chain feels like. It's quite
different to an underpowered machine.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 14:09, Fredxx wrote:

A new chain on the electric one might have the same effect. ;-)

I was wondering how much of the efficiency is dictated by the chain
alone and how sharp the teeth are.

There are different ways of sharpening and different types of chain.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

I did wonder a bit what you wanted a 20" bar for!

up buying:
A Stihl MS-180 saw with 14" blade

Yup nice saw. About 1.4 kW output, so plenty for a 12" to 14" bar.

Ignorance!

For logging and general garden maintenance I have always found the 14"
bar to be more that adequate without needing to resort to plunge cut
techniques.

5 litre chain oil
Plastic fuel can
5 litres petrol
Chainsaw file kit
Helmet
3 x 100mm two stroke oil

I usually get the Stihl 1 litre bottle with the measuring chamber on the
top which makes it easy to make up a litre at a time at whatever ratio
you require. (but then again I don't usually make up a gallon at a time
- and not all my tools need the same oiletrol ratio)

3 round chainsaw files

Did you get a flat one for filing the rakers?

It was a kit with the thing for testing the height of the spurs and a
file for filing them. Also a thing for cleaning the bar. And a thing for
getting stones out of horses' hooves. Allegedly.

TBH, having got the electric sharpener, I have given up with files - the
the difference in cut performance is so marked compared to what I had
been able to achieve by hand in the past.

I've always used an electric sharpener but my guru despises them almost
as much as he hates homosexuals, black men, and anyone wearing a suit.

Incidentally the new saw is such a pleasure to use. It absolutely
flies through hardwood and needs very little physical effort on my
part. A revelation after the electric one.

In reality, the electric one has much the same (possibly even slightly
more) power, but is possibly less well balanced.

Agreed.

The main improvement
will be likely down to a really sharp[1] chain, and probably better bar
oiling. (good oilers make them cut much better IME)

[1] Not only sharp, but with the rakers height filed low enough to allow
the blade edge to actually get adequate bite into the wood. I once spent
a frustrating time with what was a theoretically sharp chain, not making
much progress, and getting very fine sawdust like chips. Only after
filing the rakers (angle grinder!), was cut performance restored, and
the feeling of "ah, just like a real one!"

The gadget I mentioned above is calibrated and the recommendation for
this machine is 0.65mm.

I'm glad one person at least is prepared to have a helpful discussion
about this rather than just sniping and nit-picking.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

The rules I work to a-

Never use chainsaw above shoulder height

Works fine with a pole saw.

Never use chainsaw from a ladder

Not practical in some situations. Cant even get
a bucket truck anywhere near some trees.

You need extra training and skills to do either of the above safely.

Skills yes, not training tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

The rules I work to a-

Â*Â* Never use chainsaw above shoulder height

Works fine with a pole saw.

Â*Â* Never use chainsaw from a ladder

Not practical in some situations. Cant even get
a bucket truck anywhere near some trees.

You need extra training and skills to do either of the above safely.

Skills yes, not training tho.

As usual you're being disputatious for the sake of it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 15:03, williamwright wrote:
I did wonder a bit what you wanted a 20" bar for!

up buying:
A Stihl MS-180 saw with 14" blade

Yup nice saw. About 1.4 kW output, so plenty for a 12" to 14" bar.

Ignorance!

My ignorance I mean!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 05:34:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
williamwright wrote:

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

The rules I work to a-

Â*Â* Never use chainsaw above shoulder height

Works fine with a pole saw.

Â*Â* Never use chainsaw from a ladder

Not practical in some situations. Cant even get
a bucket truck anywhere near some trees.

You need extra training and skills to do either of the above safely.

Skills yes, not training tho.

As usual you're being disputatious for the sake of it.

Ay? How was I being disputatious (if there is such a word)???

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I now believe that no-one should use a chainsaw until they've been on
a course.

Dunno, cant see why the knowledge needs to be learned that way.

It's much better than trying to teach yourself.

I'm not convinced with that stuff you listed.
It can all be spelt out in documentation.

As any educationalist will tell you, a teacher is better than a book.

Corse they wouldnt be even a little biased, eh ?

And just plain wrong too. My MSc supervisor was
a completely hopeless teacher. The most you could
ever get out of his lectures was a rough idea about
what was covered and read up about that in the
the textbook.

You never start it when you aren't on the ground.

You do if it stops when you are up the ladder using it.

No you don't. And it won't stop unless you want it to if you've learnt to
control it properly.

How odd that the pros do have theirs stop.

Otherwise you're like an L Plate driver, stalling at every junction.

Bull****.

You start it and lock the blade until you want use it.

Even worse to have to climb down and back up
again when it stops when you are on the ladder.

It won't if you've learnt to control it properly.

How odd that the pros do have theirs stop.

Otherwise you're like an L Plate driver, stalling at every junction.

Bull****.

In any case, using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

There is no alternative at times.

Agreed, but it's still dodgy.

Nope, not when you do it properly so you arent reaching too far.

Ladders are for access; they aren't for prolonged work.

Its more complicated than that with chainsaw use.

It's more complicated than that with most things. But avoid working from a
latter where possible.

Plenty of the time there is no access for a bucket
truck or lift etc. And not practical to erect scaffolding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Andy Burns wrote

I have a snapped-off limb that could do with a few inches trimming off to
tidy it up,

That isn't a DIY job.

Corse it is with a decent pole saw.

Go to hospital.

Didnt need to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 00:08, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
Andy Burns wrote

I have a snapped-off limb that could do with a few inches trimming
off to tidy it up,

That isn't a DIY job.

Corse it is with a decent pole saw.

Go to hospital.

Didnt need to.

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 20:44, williamwright wrote:
On 14/05/2021 15:03, williamwright wrote:

I did wonder a bit what you wanted a 20" bar for!

up buying:
A Stihl MS-180 saw with 14" blade

Yup nice saw. About 1.4 kW output, so plenty for a 12" to 14" bar.

Ignorance!

My ignorance I mean!

Ah, the 20" bar, yup see what you mean! :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 00:27, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/05/2021 00:08, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
Andy Burns wrote

I have a snapped-off limb that could do with a few inches trimming
off to tidy it up,

That isn't a DIY job.

Corse it is with a decent pole saw.

Go to hospital.

Didnt need to.

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.

Well both would be possible with a chainsaw!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Chris Green wrote
Andy Burns wrote
williamwright wrote

using a chainsaw on a ladder is dodgy.

Yes, so far I've managed to avoid it, I have a snapped-off limb that
could do with a few inches trimming off to tidy it up, and that I think
will be safer from a ladder than waving the saw overhead ...

The rules I work to a-

Never use chainsaw above shoulder height

Works fine with a pole saw.

Never use chainsaw from a ladder

Not practical in some situations. Cant even get
a bucket truck anywhere near some trees.

You need extra training and skills to do either of the above safely.

Skills yes, not training tho.

As usual you're being disputatious for the sake of it.

Nope, pointing out the problem with the original claim.

And you keep trying to bull**** your way
out of your predicament, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 15/05/2021 00:08, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
Andy Burns wrote

I have a snapped-off limb that could do with a few inches trimming off
to tidy it up,

That isn't a DIY job.

Corse it is with a decent pole saw.

Go to hospital.

Didnt need to.

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.

Yeah, that was certainly a whoosh for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used
four saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down
until he used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

He did it with spiked boots and a belt chain and a chainsaw,
starting at the top and then taking off big chunks of the
trunk as he came down the trunk. Should have videoed it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 12:54:57 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used
four saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down
until he used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

None? So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

He did it with spiked boots

More likely strap on 'spikes' / 'irons'.

and a belt chain

Wire strop.

and a chainsaw,

Much quicker than a bow saw ...

starting at the top

Best place when chogging a tree down. ;-)

and then taking off big chunks

Chogs.

of the
trunk as he came down the trunk.