Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw lessons

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Peter Johnson wrote

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used
four saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down
until he used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

None?

Yep, none. That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.

So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

They werent that close to the fence, easy enough
to cut them off right down to the ground from
beside the trunk along the fence.

He did it with spiked boots

More likely strap on 'spikes' / 'irons'.

and a belt chain

Wire strop.

and a chainsaw,

Much quicker than a bow saw ...

starting at the top

Best place when chogging a tree down. ;-)

and then taking off big chunks

Chogs.

We don't use that term here at all.

of the trunk as he came down the trunk.

Std practice.

Should have videoed it.

Have you heard of Youtube? ;-)

Nope, never heard of it at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 19:10:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 19:10:22 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Peter Johnson wrote

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used
four saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down
until he used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

None?

Yep, none. That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.

So wasn't the tree surgeon a person?

So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

They werent that close to the fence, easy enough
to cut them off right down to the ground from
beside the trunk along the fence.

Crikey.

He did it with spiked boots

More likely strap on 'spikes' / 'irons'.

and a belt chain

Wire strop.

and a chainsaw,

Much quicker than a bow saw ...

starting at the top

Best place when chogging a tree down. ;-)

and then taking off big chunks

Chogs.

We don't use that term here at all.

Ok.

You can either lower the chogs down (slow, can be risky but often done
when over buildings or breakable surfaces (like paving slabs, bowling
greens etc) or just slide them off (or tip them over, depending on the
height) the remaining trunk and either straight onto the ground (if
it's rough) or onto something that will break the fall / spread the
load if it's someone's fancy lawn, like a bed of brash (the light
stuff you have already cut off), some thinner limbs or even some old
tyres.

Daughter and b/f took a large ash limb off over a patio laid with
Italian marble slabs and so they had to be *very* careful and lowered
them down with a rope and flying capstan.

Daughter and I took down a fairly big conifer for next door and all of
it was over her shed. It was one of those with several main trunks so
we dismantled all but the last using it as a high anchor for the
lowering rope. Then she took the top 1/3rd out of the last in one go
with it tethered on lowering rope then chogged / lowered the rest
down.

She was climbing and cutting, I was groundie and the Mrs was helping
feed the chipper. ;-)

of the trunk as he came down the trunk.

Std practice.

Should have videoed it.

Have you heard of Youtube? ;-)

Nope, never heard of it at all.

;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Peter Johnson wrote

Saw a chap take down a big conifer four/five years ago. He used
four saws to do the job. A small one at the top, then working down
until he used the big one to cut the trunk. Very impressive to watch.

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

None?

Yep, none. That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.

So wasn't the tree surgeon

We don't call them that here.

a person?

Corse he was.

So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

They werent that close to the fence, easy enough
to cut them off right down to the ground from
beside the trunk along the fence.

Crikey.

What's so surprising about that ?

He did it with spiked boots

More likely strap on 'spikes' / 'irons'.

and a belt chain

Wire strop.

and a chainsaw,

Much quicker than a bow saw ...

starting at the top

Best place when chogging a tree down. ;-)

and then taking off big chunks

Chogs.

We don't use that term here at all.

Ok.

You can either lower the chogs down (slow, can be risky but often done
when over buildings or breakable surfaces (like paving slabs, bowling
greens etc) or just slide them off (or tip them over, depending on the
height) the remaining trunk and either straight onto the ground

Yeah, that's what he did. He was skilful enough
to not have any land on the metal fence.

(if it's rough) or onto something that will break the
fall / spread the load if it's someone's fancy lawn,
like a bed of brash (the light stuff you have already
cut off), some thinner limbs or even some old tyres.

I couldn't see what they were landing on. Palm
trees don't have limbs, just fronds and the chunks
of the trunk arent as solid as with a conventional
tree. They were roughly 6' long chunks. Quite tall
palm trees, must have been about 30' to the top
of the trunk.

Daughter and b/f took a large ash limb off over a patio laid
with Italian marble slabs and so they had to be *very* careful
and lowered them down with a rope and flying capstan.

Flying capstan must be another another unusual
term, nothing useful shows up with youtube.

Daughter and I took down a fairly big conifer for next door and all of
it was over her shed. It was one of those with several main trunks so
we dismantled all but the last using it as a high anchor for the lowering
rope. Then she took the top 1/3rd out of the last in one go with it
tethered on lowering rope then chogged / lowered the rest down.

She was climbing and cutting, I was groundie
and the Mrs was helping feed the chipper. ;-)

of the trunk as he came down the trunk.

Std practice.

Should have videoed it.

Have you heard of Youtube? ;-)

Nope, never heard of it at all.

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 15 May 2021 20:33:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So wasn't the tree surgeon

We don't call them that here.

"We", again, you social misfit? There is NO "we" for you! NOBODY, really
NOBODY, identifies with a sick quarrelsome sociopathic swine like you.
That's why you get up every night between 1 and 4 am in Australia, just so
you can pester people on Usenet where they can't get as easily away from
you as in real life!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 20:33:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

Yep, none. That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.

So wasn't the tree surgeon

We don't call them that here.

Tree-fella-o?

a person?

Corse he was.

But you said 'That neighbour had no access to the back yard at all for
other than people.'?

So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

They werent that close to the fence, easy enough
to cut them off right down to the ground from
beside the trunk along the fence.

Crikey.

What's so surprising about that ?

Cutting a tree down to ground level over a fence?

snip

You can either lower the chogs down (slow, can be risky but often done
when over buildings or breakable surfaces (like paving slabs, bowling
greens etc) or just slide them off (or tip them over, depending on the
height) the remaining trunk and either straight onto the ground

Yeah, that's what he did. He was skilful enough
to not have any land on the metal fence.

They can also bounce into things.

(if it's rough) or onto something that will break the
fall / spread the load if it's someone's fancy lawn,
like a bed of brash (the light stuff you have already
cut off), some thinner limbs or even some old tyres.

I couldn't see what they were landing on. Palm
trees don't have limbs, just fronds and the chunks
of the trunk arent as solid as with a conventional
tree.

Ok.

They were roughly 6' long chunks. Quite tall
palm trees, must have been about 30' to the top
of the trunk.

Ok.

Daughter and b/f took a large ash limb off over a patio laid
with Italian marble slabs and so they had to be *very* careful
and lowered them down with a rope and flying capstan.

Flying capstan must be another another unusual
term, nothing useful shows up with youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...wering+capstan

or try 'Port-a-Wrap' for a product name.

A 'capstan' is the generic term for something that you typically wrap
a rope round to provide friction to allow something to slide under
control (as in lowering a limb or chog) or for the friction to allow
you to then use with a handle as on a boat as a winch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_(nautical)

They often use a twin double handed version of something similar on
racing yachts often nicknamed 'a coffee grinder'. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS5zPBFcReE

snip

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yep, none. That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.

So wasn't the tree surgeon

We don't call them that here.

Tree-fella-o?

Tree Services or Tree and Stump Removal Services

a person?

Corse he was.

But you said 'That neighbour had no access
to the back yard at all for other than people.'?

So there is access for a person.

So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

They werent that close to the fence, easy enough
to cut them off right down to the ground from
beside the trunk along the fence.

Crikey.

What's so surprising about that ?

Cutting a tree down to ground level over a fence?

Not over a fence, from beside the tree, between the trees along the fence.

You can either lower the chogs down (slow, can be risky but often done
when over buildings or breakable surfaces (like paving slabs, bowling
greens etc) or just slide them off (or tip them over, depending on the
height) the remaining trunk and either straight onto the ground

Yeah, that's what he did. He was skilful enough
to not have any land on the metal fence.

They can also bounce into things.

Sure, but if they land away from the fence, usually wont and didn't.

(if it's rough) or onto something that will break the
fall / spread the load if it's someone's fancy lawn,
like a bed of brash (the light stuff you have already
cut off), some thinner limbs or even some old tyres.

I couldn't see what they were landing on. Palm trees
don't have limbs, just fronds and the chunks of the
trunk arent as solid as with a conventional tree.

Ok.

They were roughly 6' long chunks.
Quite tall palm trees, must have been
about 30' to the top of the trunk.

Ok.

Daughter and b/f took a large ash limb off over a patio laid
with Italian marble slabs and so they had to be *very* careful
and lowered them down with a rope and flying capstan.

Flying capstan must be another another unusual
term, nothing useful shows up with youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...wering+capstan

Yeah that does explain where the name comes from quite well.

or try 'Port-a-Wrap' for a product name.

Yeah, I did find that one by using the term itself.

A 'capstan' is the generic term for something that you typically wrap
a rope round to provide friction to allow something to slide under
control (as in lowering a limb or chog) or for the friction to allow
you to then use with a handle as on a boat as a winch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_(nautical)

Yeah, I already knew that but couldn't see how that fitted with felling
trees.

They often use a twin double handed version of something
similar on racing yachts often nicknamed 'a coffee grinder'. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS5zPBFcReE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 03:02:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 09:07:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 12:02:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Ay? How was I being disputatious (if there is such a word)???

He is saying I am.

A LOT of people are said so in the past and keep saying now, you sociopathic
senile pest!

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:57:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 15 May 2021 00:27:10 +0100, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

Didn¢t need to.

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.

I think you really and truly are a troll-feeding senile smartass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 12:04:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.

Yeah, that was certainly a whoosh for me.

Certainly, if one is as senile as you are, you trolling senile pest! BG

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 12:54:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, watched a pro take down a whole line of very big palm
trees along a neighbour's back fence line with no access at all.

He did it with spiked boots and a belt chain and a chainsaw,
starting at the top and then taking off big chunks of the
trunk as he came down the trunk. Should have videoed it.

Most likely you saw it on TV again and now present it as a real life
experience, you abnormal sociopath! BG