Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telegraph Pole

A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the
bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and
hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was
difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2021 17:31, JohnP wrote:
A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the
bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and
hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was
difficult.

Well of all the things!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the
bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and
hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was
difficult.

some of the smaller BBC tv relay station use "stout wooden poles" rather
than the better known lattice masts. One of these in the west of Scotland
blew over the the first winter gales because the contractor had met hard
rock after about a foot down and chopped off the bottom 4ft so it was only
held in place by the peat. (Fiunary. if anybody cares)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at
the bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth
and hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the
hole was difficult.

some of the smaller BBC tv relay station use "stout wooden poles"
rather than the better known lattice masts. One of these in the west
of Scotland blew over the the first winter gales because the
contractor had met hard rock after about a foot down and chopped off
the bottom 4ft so it was only held in place by the peat. (Fiunary. if
anybody cares)

The guys I spoke to cited a similar instance - with the risk being the man
up a ladder working on the wires or equipment.

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the
bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and
hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was
difficult.

Fark, that’s bizarre and nutty because with a difficult one they can
just drive the tube down further than the hole was for the pole.

And didn’t you say that the tube is added later ?

Bet someone is pulling your leg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at
the bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth
and hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the
hole was difficult.

Fark, that’s bizarre and nutty because with a difficult one they can
just drive the tube down further than the hole was for the pole.

And didn’t you say that the tube is added later ?

Bet someone is pulling your leg.

I don't know what is put down the tube - It could be a borescope! I am sure
they will have some way of checking it relative to a reference mark on the
post.

I thought it may have been added later when I first saw it but have since
realised it is only on new posts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2021 10:44:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Fark, that˘s bizarre and nutty

But that's what YOU truly are, senile cretin! Can't you sociopaths ever but
PROJECT whenever you rant about other people and even things?

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2021 07:58:09 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Chris

Same here when they were replacing some mains water pipes in the road
outside my house, about a year ago. Lots of photos taken at various
stages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May 2021 at 17:31:29 BST, "JohnP" wrote:

A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the
bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and
hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was
difficult.

What is to stop them drilling a 20mm hole to put the pipe down a couple of
feet below the bottom of the pole?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote in
:

On 12 May 2021 at 17:31:29 BST, "JohnP" wrote:

A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at
the bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to
ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth
and hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the
hole was difficult.

What is to stop them drilling a 20mm hole to put the pipe down a
couple of feet below the bottom of the pole?

I don't know what they put down the tube to check - it could be a borescope
that can see the wooden post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 9:29:29 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes they need that for accurate mapping for future diggers upperers. so to
speak.
Incidentally, do they now make telegraph poles of anything other than wood?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

For the same reason Radios are called wireless.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Utility Poles"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't find much:
A pole should be “planted” approx 6ft (1.8m) into the ground.
The doby mark is a notch 3 metres from the bottom of the pole. A pole then
correctly planted would show the 3 metre mark at a height of 1.2 metres
above ground level.

Often “Depthing Tubes” are fitted which allow inspectors to check that
those rascal erection contractors have buried them deep enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

because most normal people know what that means (much as they know what
is meant by "filmed on a mobile phone"). But there's nothing to stop
you using "a tall (often wooden) pole used to carry utility cables"

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 10:29, fred wrote:

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

For the same reason Radios are called wireless.

Well they are wireless (the portable ones at least).

Do people still refer to "steam rollers"?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Yes they need that for accurate mapping for future diggers upperers. so to
speak.

Incidentally, do they now make telegraph poles of anything other than
wood?

Plenty of our replacement power poles are concrete now.
All the new estates have underground everything.
We have never had separate poles for the phone lines.

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I
guess
it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera
phones
around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes,
before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated
depth board and took a photo.

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

Because they were originally used for telegraph lines before power poles
were invented.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

[...]

Easier to call it a power pole or utility pole if you are that anal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 14/05/2021 10:29, fred wrote:

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

For the same reason Radios are called wireless.

Well they are wireless (the portable ones at least).

Do people still refer to "steam rollers"?

Yep, plenty do and filming stuff with a digital camera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 13:12, Max Demian wrote:
On 14/05/2021 10:29, fred wrote:

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

For the same reason Radios are called wireless.

Well they are wireless (the portable ones at least).

Do people still refer to "steam rollers"?

Yes, but it's a ******* trying to roll steam.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 05:03:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Plenty of our replacement power poles are concrete now.
All the new estates have underground everything.
We have never had separate poles for the phone lines.

Who's that "our", "us" and "we" you are constantly hallucinating about, you
sociopathic senile troll? There is NO "we" for you! NOBODY, but NOBODY,
identifies with a sick senile swine like you. Ask your Australian
neighbours! They will confirm it.

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 05:39:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 15 May 2021 05:36:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 05:24:16 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Telegraph pole stay Mike Barnes[_2_] UK diy 82 September 7th 17 07:36 AM
Telegraph OT Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 32 May 9th 14 04:50 PM
OT Telegraph Global warming. harryagain[_2_] UK diy 49 November 25th 13 03:53 PM
Hollowing out telegraph poles TrailRat Woodworking 27 July 31st 06 08:40 PM
Prescott plans a new disaster for house sales Christopher Booker Telegraph Ophelia UK diy 55 January 30th 06 11:23 AM