Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can you stop static builtd up.

Does anyone know of a spray or something to stop static. We have a swivel
chair, one of those well padded Executive sort in fake leather, probably pvc
of some kind, and it seems whatever clothing I wear, when I've been sitting
in it a while and get up the first large chunk of metal I touch gives me a
shock,a and its so loud people can hear it across the room it even goes
through painted surfaces.
The other thing which is causing it is a cushion which seems to be filled
by a kind of fibrous material often used in Duvets, which also crackle as
you take the covers off of course so must be prone. Now I know all about
negative and positive ions and how the imbalance causes a charge etc, but
short of soaking everything in slightly saline water, I really do need to
try to cut it down. I myself don't care, but some of the more delicate
people swear its faulty wiring or something which it is not.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2021 09:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

In the interests of DIY the most reasonable cheap one is a trace of
glycerine in water to make things slightly less perfect insulators.

https://skepchick.org/2019/11/creati...-static-spray/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The recent run of very dry weather has led to much lower levels of
humidity which would assist static build-up. You could try a humidifier
to see if that helps.

--

Jeff

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 9:31:43 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

I once had this problem with a car. Get out, close the door, and get nasty shock. I found two answers. (1) close the door using the window glass and (2) hold on to metal frame of door before putting foot to ground. This latter may be of use to you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 May 2021 01:16:27 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

snip

I once had this problem with a car. Get out, close the door, and get nasty shock. I found two answers. (1) close the door using the window glass and (2) hold on to metal frame of door before putting foot to ground.

+1

3) Allow your passengers to get out first. ;-)

This latter may be of use to you

My old Sierra went though a phase of high levels of static buildup and
in that case it was down to the tyre compound (low carbon content)?

I used one of those semi conductive rubber straps bolted to the towbar
frame that used to 'fly' off the ground once moving (so didn't wear
out or make a noise) but would touch the ground (and so earthing the
car) when stopped. I think some people used light chain.

It did eventually wear short so might then only touch if you had some
extra weight onboard but it worked very well till then (and I would
certainly know when I had stopped with it clear of the ground).

I think that in ESD sensitive environments if they don't want the
restrictions of wrist bands I think I have seen a form of dangling
ankle strap on a semi-conductive mat ... that keeps the charge levels
low but allows freedom of movement.

I wonder if brian put some silver foil on his chair then joined that
to some dangling plug chain that touches the floor via a 10k resistor
(or whatever resistance is normal on such things)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had this problem with my Astra F estate but it only happened when I
was

a) wearing a fleece and b) wearing certain types of footwear with hiking
soles.

If I wore leather shoes, then even if they had rubbery 'commando' soles
there was never a problem.

If you are moving your chair about then perhaps it needs an earthing
strap to keep the frame in contact with the floor ?

Andrew

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2021 01:16:27 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

snip

[...]

You could treat the chair with this.

https://www.aclstaticide.com/product...-safety-shield

There's a different product for treating carpeting.
(I hate products you keep having to apply over and
over and over again.)

If you're making homemade ESD straps, the dissipation
resistor you want is in the 1 megohm to 22 megohm range.
The 1 megohm one is easier to verify occasionally
with your multimeter, that it's still working. The
purpose of the resistance value, is to reduce the
"peak current" discharged into any semiconductor junctions.
The 22 megohm value is the highest resistance
value commonly available at retail.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I wonder if something like fairy liquid in with water every so often might
help?

You arent allowed to liquefy fairys anymore.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2021 06:32:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2021 18:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
One person suggested dousing me in water to act as a humidifier, but that
would not be practical.. Brian

Drink lots of beer

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/05/2021 18:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
One person suggested dousing me in water to act as a humidifier, but that
would not be practical.. Brian

Drink lots of beer

There are "clearance" ESD shoes for sale here.
Now you don't have to spray or paint anything.
And no heel guard to wear. The shoe does it all.

https://www.antistaticesd.co.uk/prod...ory/esd-shoes/

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 May 2021 09:57:01 -0400, Paul
wrote:

snip

I wonder if brian put some silver foil on his chair then joined that
to some dangling plug chain that touches the floor via a 10k resistor
(or whatever resistance is normal on such things)?

You could treat the chair with this.

https://www.aclstaticide.com/product...-safety-shield

There's a different product for treating carpeting.
(I hate products you keep having to apply over and
over and over again.)

Quite.

If you're making homemade ESD straps, the dissipation
resistor you want is in the 1 megohm to 22 megohm range.

Aren't there testing stations they use for checking the viability of
ESD gear in such environments?

The 1 megohm one is easier to verify occasionally
with your multimeter, that it's still working.

Sure.

The
purpose of the resistance value, is to reduce the
"peak current" discharged into any semiconductor junctions.

The purpose of the resistance g is to allow a slower dissipation of
the charge energy to minimise high current shock loads AND to ensure
the operator isn't connected to ground with a low resistance path to
increase the risk of electrocution from some live equipment.

The 22 megohm value is the highest resistance
value commonly available at retail.

I know it can be surprisingly high (in normal electronic circuit
terms) because all it needs to do in most cases is 'leak charge' away
from the user, or any charge differential between isolated components
in a safe way.

There was an ESD module in the Novell 'Service and Support' (5 day)
course I used to present when I was a CNI and I used to continually
monitor their use of ESD gear after that module and throughout the
rest of the course.

Roughy ever other week for about 7 years I had 8 delegates strip a PC
down (they worked in pairs) and that included removing the CPU and RAM
from the MOBO and the MOBO from the case etc.

I was away for a week and they got a contractor in. The next week came
in to present another S&S and found 2 of the 4 PC's were dead. (When
you finish presenting your course you reset the room ready for
whatever is going to be in there the next week [1]. If both
instructors are present on the last day then you generally prepped
your own).

I happened to see one of my previous delegates that I'd taken on
another Netware module and he had been on the contractors S&S course
the previous week. I asked if they had been presented with the ESD
module, been issued the ESD kits or been asked to use them during the
course and he said no. As it happened he was a reasonable tech, I had
spare motherboards (as yet unneeded for 7 years) and he helped me get
the two PC's working again with nearly no delay to the start of that
weeks course.

Now, do I know it was poor ESD that killed the two boards? No, but
it's funny they had been ok for all that time before ... ?

Cheers, T i m

[1] The admin staff would come round with a pack of CD's marked to
match the PC's in the room and you would re-image all PC's from the
CD's (it was quicker than pulling the images down from the server).

p.s. If I'm building a PC from scratch I will generally use an ESD
wristband and strap and an ESD mat. If I'm doing general maintenance
on my own gear I will often take a shortcut and just ensure there is
no chance of any static charge differential between any components I
am going to bring together (by having contact to both) and leaving the
machine plugged in but not turned on at the wall.